Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thornbush

Options
  • 29-06-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Our hedges are almost completely overgrown by thornbushes after all the bad weather.
    Is there anything I can use to kill them without damaging the hedge?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What do you mean by thornbushes? Hawthorn?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

looksee wrote: »
    What do you mean by thornbushes? Hawthorn?
    no this

That link only goes to a logo pic.

Do you mean brambles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

K09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Our hedges are almost completely overgrown by thornbushes after all the bad weather.
    Is there anything I can use to kill them without damaging the hedge?

Thanks.

Most likely brambles which is a common and difficult problem to tackle. You can cut but brambles will re-grow and prbably more vigorously.

If you are unable to access the source to dig out the bramble, try painting leaves with a thick solution of a systemic weedkiller like Roundup. Mix weedkiller concentrate with a little washing up liquid and paint mixture on some bramble leaf. Ignore small leaf and concentrate on larger leaf throughout the plant. Repeat applications may be necessary. If you are nervous about damaging hedge, covered treated area with small (freezer) plastic bags and tie in position.

This is not a nice job and some patience will also required.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

looksee wrote: »
    That link only goes to a logo pic.

Do you mean brambles?

Please find attached image for what I mean.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Lol, when I saw that image tiny I thought it was a motorway going across countryside. However. Yes that is a bramble and they are very difficult to get rid of. The systemic weedkiller idea is the best way to get rid of them permanently, but you have to be patient, they can take a long time to die back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Brambles - ba$tards. I've been tackling them for the last 5 years.

The ONLY way to beat them is to remove the root. Damn brambles are so resilient that they will grow twice as strong if you just cut them back. You can spray them with a contact killer but the chances are that they are growing within/though/between shrubs that you do not want to damage.

Advertisement