Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade potato salad

Options
  • 29-06-2010 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

Hellooo

Anyone know of the ingredients ( apart from mayo & potatoes)to make a tasty potato salad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Boil or steam some new potatoes until just done.
    Cut up into cubes - I like to leave the skin on.
    Toss into a bowl with some chopped onion and lots of fresh chives, a dollop of mayonnaise and some mustard, salt and pepper.
    Mix well but don't break up potatoes too much.

You could also add any other fresh herbs you want and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice.

If it's that awful 'mash' potato salad you get at sandwich counters you want then I won't help you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Its the chunky potato salad I want to make ,but a family member doesn't like onions
    Is onions usually an ingredient in potato salad? Maybe I'll add a tsp or so , or is there any alternative to onions?

Thanks for the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Serve the onions (I'd use scallions myself) seperately and let people add as the please :)

Any tips for that (unawful) delicious!! mashed potato salad pretty please? I love the stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Boil up and chop your potatoes, pour over a cup of chicken stock(it makes a huge difference to the taste, and nobody will be able to pinpoint it!) Finely chop some scallions and and mix with mayo. Don't bother seasoning as the chicken stock and mayo will have added enough salt to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Add some french grainy mustard. The sharpness of it will replace the onions nicely.

I like my potato salad warm as I think it absorbs the flavours better. I cube the just cooked potato (or halve new potato), crush slightly, add mustard, celery, mayo, a dash of tobasco, some lemon juice, paprika and some salt/pepper.

Another way of making it pour salad dressing (2/3 oil, 1/3 vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, paprika) over the potatoes while still warm. Add a dollop of mayo just before serving. yummmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just keep it simple and it's a winner. Bite sized chunks of potato - they have to be a waxy variety. Steam, let cool and mix with Hellmans - chopped scallions, salt & pepper.

If your friend doesn't like scallions, get some good pesto (the best I've found is Nolan's in Terenure) and mix that with the mayo, or crème fraiche or even cream cheese. This is lovely warm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Boil or steam some new potatoes until just done.
    Cut up into cubes - I like to leave the skin on.
    Toss into a bowl with some chopped onion and lots of fresh chives, a dollop of mayonnaise and some mustard, salt and pepper.
    Mix well but don't break up potatoes too much.

You could also add any other fresh herbs you want and maybe a squeeze of lemon juice.

If it's that awful 'mash' potato salad you get at sandwich counters you want then I won't help you!!

Agree with this
    fresh lemon thyme or garlic chives will lift this if you want to leave out the onions..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I probably would use spring onions, alright if I had them.
    I also like it with Greek style yoghurt and a little vinaigrette instead of mayonnaise. Flat leaf parsley is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

There are two main variations I would go for

New potato, with chives or spring onions is the basis of both.
    I tend to add a dash of cayenne pepper to the mayonaise version to give it a lift unless the mayonaise is home made, that way I can add more mustard at the start.

The other option is with a simple french dressing, but add a bit more salt than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Thanks for all the advice , but I have been too lazy to make it today, so I bought some in superquinn :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Next time you decide to give it a go try adding some chopped fried bacon to it, not much just enough to give it additional ooomph..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

The_Joker. wrote: »
    Hellooo

Anyone know of the ingredients ( apart from mayo & potatoes)to make a tasty potato salad?

Family recipe (from my gran):

Peel some new potatoes, cut them into cubes and cook in stock. Drain, but catch the stock for later.
    While the potatoes are cooking, chop 1-2 spring onions and 1 gherkin really finely.

Put the potatoes in a bowl, ad 2-3 spoons of mayonaise, 1-2 spoons of the stock, the spring onion and gherkin, 2 tsp of paprika and 1-2 tsp of dill.
    Stir and enjoy.

Advertisement