Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullet point format change

Options
  • 29-06-2010 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

:confused:Help!

I am writing a thesis using Word and I have several tables with bullet pointed information inside them.

At random points, which seem to defy any logic, I will read over the document to find that the bullet points are no longer bulleted! I have tried to solve the problem by creating a "style" however, when I modify the style not to be bold, it just automatically makes the list bold anyway!

Is there a simple way around this?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 adnoif

:mad:AND I have nont just manually changes each table to non bold font, and when I went back to have a look they were all bold again!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Use something (ANYthing) other than Word.

For example, http://www.openoffice.org/ which can read and output documents in a variety of formats, including Word if that's important.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Make sure to turn on hidden parapgrahs and other markers. Often a style gets accidentally applied to some hidden marker and affects the text beneath it.
    The key combo Ctrl-Shift-C and Ctrl-Shift-V can really speed things up when copying styles from one piece of text to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Using something other than Word is a good idea, but obviously not possible for lots of people...

Sometimes when you swipe text and apply a style in Word, it only partly applies it. You need to click the style name a second time to apply it properly and over-write any 'overrides' that might have been applied.

It definitely helps to show the invisible formatting marks as already pointed out above.

It also helps to CLEAR FORMATTING (again, do this twice) and re-apply your styles to un-formatted text... or if all else fails, cut sections out that are causing problems, open notepad, paste, select all, cut again and paste back into word (and selecting "keep text only" from the popup menu icon that appears at the end of freshly pasted content), before re-applying your styles.

Sounds tricky but is a quick and easy way of getting Word to behave with its formatting when all else fails.

Advertisement