Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate my job

Options
  • 29-06-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says i hate my job,Im currently working on a production line in a factory standing in the same spot 8 hours a day sticking labels on boxes,there is no challenge motivation ,or even a goddamn radio to listen to.Everybody i work with hates the place and all want to leave,everybody seems to bitch about everybody else,the place is full of small little cliques where everybody hates everybody, Its the worst place i have ever worked in and the atmosphere in the place is absolutely chronic,I would have gone long ago if it wasn't for this fcking recession.

The supervisor is a slime ball who smiles to your face but would stab you in the back in a second, its something Ive seen first hand!! People are afraid to speak up because when the do they are hounded for weeks afterwards for every small mistake they do.There is forced overtime and when you say no your are hounded constantly until you say yes,i am fully sure this is a form of bullying!!People have come out from different departments to work with us and have gone back in as quick as they could,as they couldn't believe how bad the place was,HR know whats going on but they will not rock the boat.

I have been doing the same job for the past 2 years and when i started i was told i would get trained in all aspects of the business but since we seem to always be busy that hasn't happened There is not one good thing that i can say about the place not one.Im there 2 years now but the last few weeks im noticing that im feeling sad and low even when im out of work and i seem to take all of my frustration out on my friends.

Im seriously thinking of handling in my notice because im seriously thinking that im starting to crack up!!Any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I was in your shoes 3 years ago and got an opportunity to move from such a job but your circumstances may be different.

Step one would be to look at your life and lifestyle.

I would get to a doctor and have a complete medical and psychological assessment. Before you can fix things you need to know if you are suitable for the job or not and try and identify and outside causes that may be affecting your work situation.

A persons worklife can spill over into personal relationships, tendancy towards drug and alcohol abuse, self harm, low self esteem, negativity, poor social skills etc. These can multiply out of control over time and will not be solved with time, you have to be brutally honest with yourself if this is the kind of work you want to do, recession or no recession, and make plans to develop yourself away from it over time.

Avoid negative people. They are like a cancer in any organisation which can lead to depression, bitchiness, sniping, back biting, fear, coercion etc that you feel is happening to you in work.

Basically you are working for a dysfunctional or "sick" organisation but you can recognise it for what it is and try to rise above it.

Look after yourself. Pay careful attention to diet, exercise, drink habits, sleeping habits etc, you need to be in top form to survive working in a dysfunctional organisation and must avoid reacting to people and situations at all costs.

Get to know your employment and legal rights and do it in a discrete way. If you are asked to do something unreasonable discuss this with the supervisor IN PRIVATE in a calm logical manner using your new-found knowledge to further your own goals. Do not be tempted to assist your workmates in this, you have said thay were bitchy, complaining and back biting, they do not need or deserve your help in their difficulties, help yourself first.

When you have established a safe working environment look at a development plan for yourself. Be selfish. Avoid uncertifed "in house" or company specific courses which tie you to a "sick" organisation. Always look for external exams, proof of experience etc and always be looking to build up a collection of GENERIC and TRANSFERABLE skills over time.

Start writing and crafting your CV, work on it every week and see how you can improve on it. Look for projects to do that may improve things that are currently driving you mad. If possible look at ways of improving the way you work but be careful with your information. I have had work stolen off me and presented as someone elses to their credit. You have to be streetwise in how you do this and keep a record of all decisions made and changes made on email so that blame for foul-ups doesn't be laid at your door.

For a start write down all your likes/dislikes strengths weakness, times you were praised times things didn't go well but you did better next time and got to like a task and got good at it etc.

Make a plan for yourself privately and review it with trusted people, not necessarily workmates and certainly not your boss if he is the asshole you say he is.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

My sympathy with you OP. Im assuming your working for a multinational as having worked for one of these scumbag companies infested with pure pond life myself i can recognise a lot of the same traits. The prick of a supervisor, the weasel of a line lead, the bitching, the stupid little pathetic cliques, the one-up-manship, the LIES!!, the nauseating political correctness....all soul destroying bulls*it.
    Thank god i don't have to worry about that garbage any more. look i know its a tough call but seriously weigh up your options. you seem a grounded person from what you've said so i think it would be a tragedy for this sick hole to destroy you like this and worse if you let them. You'll be no good to any one including yourself if you end up having a nervous breakdown. the world can be your oyster if you want it to be. look dont do anything rash but look into some training and see whats out there in the line of jobs... perhaps you could go back to college. it may mean favours being asked and sacrifices being made but what to pay for the price of happiness when you feel miserable?

doolox has given you excellent advice there and i say fair play to him on that.

best of luck im rooting for you all the way!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

As above, is returning to education an option?

Advertisement