Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam/Smoke Jet in Hospital today?

Options
  • 29-06-2010 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Was cycling near the hospital today at about 2.30pm and heard a really loud jet-engine like sound, kind of like what you'd hear outside an airport. I've never heard anything as loud as that in the area. It was coming from one of the smaller buildings near the hospital (opposite the Mortuary), coming out of a pipe on the roof, so I went to inspect. I could see above the rooftops a really long jet of steam or smoke shooting upwards into the air. I cycled down and took a photo. Does anyone know what it was?

SP_A0202.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

You should have gone in closer, I believe this is the Linen cleaners/Laundry area where they clean bed linen etc?? Am open to correction on this. You probably just witnessed a release of steam from a boiler.

untitled-13.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

This was a serious release of steam then. It was going on I'd say for about half an hour and would deafen you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Steyr wrote: »
    You should have gone in closer, I believe this is the Linen cleaners/Laundry area where they clean bed linen etc?? Am open to correction on this. You probably just witnessed a release of steam from a boiler.

untitled-13.jpg

They most of used cillet bang!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ill get my coat!!!!:D

I thought there was a medical incinerator there?

Thats the red brick chimney AFAIK.

• Advertisement

The red brick chimney is just an old chimney from when they burned solid fuel for heat in the hospital. All medical waste from Ireland is brought abroad for incineration there is no medical incinerator in Ireland, actually currently there is no incinerator in Ireland I think.

The "smoke" was as another poster suggested a release of steam from the boiler/heating system. I used to do summer work in merlin park where the same thing needs to be done from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I've been inside those actual boilers in the hospital, cleaning them a few years back. Damn hard days work, the heat was unreal, and probably the most claustrophobic experience I've ever had.

The red brick chimney is just an old chimney from when they burned solid fuel for heat in the hospital.

Still in use though, you can often see smoke rise from it.

hoody wrote: »
    I've been inside those actual boilers in the hospital, cleaning them a few years back. Damn hard days work, the heat was unreal, and probably the most claustrophobic experience I've ever had.

Ive done it too in merlin!! Not the nicest place to spend time!!
    Still in use though, you can often see smoke rise from it.

They probably still use it for the boilers, I'm not too up on UCHG as its merlin I worked mostly.

They probably still use it for the boilers, I'm not too up on UCHG as its merlin I worked mostly.

Still goes up most mornings, dirty black smoke, especially on the cold mornings.

• Advertisement

Still goes up most mornings, dirty black smoke, especially on the cold mornings.

I'm not sure but if they work it like merlin they have the main boiler/boilers and the back ups. They swap these around (as in the back ups become the main boilers) so probably starting up one that has been taken off line would give some dirty smoke. I will find out what exactly the story is with chimney when I get a chance to ask someone who might know. Its been a good few years since I even worked in Merlin so I forget a lot of what goes on.

Il try get a pic the next time i see, it sometimes its black sometimes its grey/whiteish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭KevinVonSpiel

I think it was my Gramps... he's in there for his prostate... goes outside after lunch for a couple of smokes of his pipe & a good fart.

Advertisement