Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best road bike circa €1500

• 29-06-2010 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi guys,

Newbie here and just looking to pick your brains. I'm looking to buy a bike for in and around the €1500 price mark. I'm going to be using the bike for fitness and a few triathlons here and there but nothing too serious. I'm just wondering what do people reckon is the best and why? I've been tempted with this Boardman bike.

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502043_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

I'm well aware at Halfords lack of ability to put the thing together properly but whats the bike like or have you guys better suggestions? I have been told as well that Halfords are willing to bargain a bit on price too.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Bought a Trek 2.1 for €1500 e few months ago and love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

If you buy it in Halfords, ask to take it away in the box and bring it to a LBS to put together for you.That bike gets great reviews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

check canyon out, aluminium frame, ultegra build, ritchey componentry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 davecork

Thanks guys, I'll certainly check out those other bikes but I really don't think I'd know or notice if one was better than the other etc. There is something in the back of my mind not wanting a bike from Halfords. I guess it's a snobby thing but all the reviews seem to point that way. For that sort of money should I not be expecting a carbon frame?

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

Check out Planet X (I know, I know, but somebody had to say it !!:D)
    Don't have one myself but half the guys on this forum seem to have them and swear by them.
    Not sure what the exchange rate is like right now, that may have a bearing, but i'd say you'd still be well under €1,500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭olmo

I bought the Boardman Team Carbon. rrp is €1250 and I've had no probs at all. It's a great bike. Do you really need the road bike pro for €1999? Who cares if it's from Halfords, they're the authorised distributors for a great bike. They told me to drop in anytime and they will check over the bike, even correct any buckles in the wheels. Maybe I've lucky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

davecork wrote: »
    I'm well aware at Halfords lack of ability to put the thing together properly

Sorry Dave, but that's just bo11ocks. There's lots of very good mechanics working in Halfords these days.
    Many's a LBS fúck up builds also. I've had bikes back from shops with requested work not done, bolts not tightened, outer cables split, gears not tuned etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Hi,
    The Boardman is one of the best bikes u can get in that price range and if it was only for sale over the internet or from your LBS a lot of the bike snobs would have one I personally have had no problems with halfords if you get there bike servicing pack all labour is free think its about 36 quid for 2 years.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

since the euro capitulated against sterling you are limited with choice, the boardman or the planet x are ones i've been thinking about, other option are a ribble or maybe you could pick up a dolan mythos or orbea onix for a little outside your budget.
    either that or wait for a reduced bike when the sales start in the autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

lapierre sensium 100 is just a little over €1500.Quality bike with great after sales such as crash replacement on your frame.

www.chaindrivencycles.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

If you or somebody you know has insurance with AXA you can avail of a 15% discount @ Halfords! Just go onto the Axa website, print off the discount coupon form & hand it in when buying your bike.

I bought a Team Carbon from Halfords for E1,050 which has a RRP of E1,250.

Thats E200 I could put towards buying the rest of the gear :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amused2death

€999. Alloy with 105
    €1,299 with Ultegra (postage is €32.)

http://roseversand.com/bikes/racing-bikes/racing-bikes/red-bull-pro-2000-new-2010.html?cid=156&detail=1000&detail2=32157

I have the Ultegra and an X-lite carbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

fuji bikes have a carbon/ultegra for 1200@ ..kennys for bikes enniscorthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

hi
    I've had a Boardman Pro Carbon 15 mths now... Superb bike... I'd go so far as to say its the fastest
    bike I've ever owned.. I found Halfords here in Limerick very competent. I honestly dunno where the bad rep or the Crap about the bike is coming from. Get yourself the Team or Pro Carbon.. You won't regret it...

Hey guys thanks again for all the help. I've certainly got a lot of researching to do over the next few days. There are a nice few options for me to go look at. As regards the Halfords thing I now officially retract that statement I made earlier. I shouldn't be repeating something I heard especially when I wouldn't have the faintest idea if a bike was set up right or wrong. Next up is size... I currently have a Lapierre rcr 300 hybrid type thingy with a 52cm frame. I'm 5'9"/5'10" should I be possibly looking at a medium (ish)?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

D

If you or somebody you know has insurance with AXA you can avail of a 15% discount @ Halfords! Just go onto the Axa website, print off the discount coupon form & hand it in when buying your bike.

I bought a Team Carbon from Halfords for E1,050 which has a RRP of E1,250.

Thats E200 I could put towards buying the rest of the gear :)

Now thats what I like to hear. Your a gent. Thanks

Advertisement