If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW AV RECEIVER RANGE

Options
  • 29-06-2010 8:23pm
    Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Dear Boardies,

This is a bit of a long post - but we have recently had a load of new season AV receivers in and some of them are real zingers so after lots of requests here is some info on a selection of what we have available at the moment.

Pioneer VSX519

At the budget end of the spectrum we have the excellent 519 5.1 AV Receiver from Pioneer:
    picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6688

With an HDMI Repeater, a single HDMI cable is all you need to transfer both video and audio digitally to the receiver. Up to 1080p video signals are supported, as well as x.v.Colour and Deep Colour for vibrant, lifelike colours with smooth gradient transitions. If you connect - via HDMI - a Blu-ray player featuring HD audio decoding, you will be able to enjoy the decoded LPCM uncompressed HD audio When playing music from your portable music player, you are guaranteed an enhanced sound - The Advanced Sound Retriever, which ‘upscales’ the quality of compressed audio to closely match the original source, and the Auto Level Control, which compensates for volume fluctuations between songs or sources, both work to deliver a dynamic and full sound.

We are doing this on a Boardie special at £159.95 / €199.99

Again at the budget end we have the Onkyo TXSR308 - this is a full 1.4 HDMI equipped receiver and at £219.95 / €269.99 really does represent amazing value:
    picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6691
    (Shown in silver but also available in Black)

Perhaps the most outstanding feature about the 308 is that it comes equipped with HDMI 1.4 specification, making it the first, reasonably priced receiver that's compatible with the exciting new 3D TV. Even without this advanced feature, the TX-SR308 is still ahead of the game. The latest and most powerful processing has always been at the heart of Onkyo's receivers, and the TXSR308 is no different. It will handle high-definition lossless audio codecs from Dolby and DTS. This high resolution surround sound processing makes it the perfect partner for Blu-ray with all the potential for audio excellence this source provides.

It's not just the processing power but quality, too that makes Onkyo receivers stand out. Burr-Brown 192/24 DACs for all channels, an advanced 32-Bit Processing Chip and a high power transformer help to give the TXSR-308 class-leading sound quality and an equally impressive 85 watts power output.

This may be the baby of the Onkyo range but, when it comes to connecting up, there's a surprisingly comprehensive range of sockets - as good as any mid-range receiver from just a year or two ago. Three HDMI inputs and an output let you route your Blu-ray, digital TV and games console through to the TV. Added to this are a wide range of other sockets including twin component inputs for older DVD players and three digital audio inputs. Also, there's Onkyo's unique and flexible Universal Port. Match to Onkyo's optional iPod dock or DAB+ tuner modules and you've got even greater entertainment potential.

Finally, one of the features we like most about the Onkyo AV receivers is how easy they are to set up. A new, overlaid On-Screen Display makes adjusting settings straight-forward while the simple menu logically takes you through the fine-tuning of your system.

We've always liked the Onkyo range of AV receivers but with the TXSR308, Onkyo have excelled themselves.

Next - The first of the real new kit - The Denon AVR1611

This is the first of the new '11' series from Denon and they are saying that it's their best ever AV range (they would say that I guess ;))

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6695

The 1611 is the second up and at £349.95 / €399.99 (see the excellent €uro price!) it really does represent excellent value, here are the key features:

Supports HDMI 1.4a with 3D, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color, “x.v.Color”, Auto Lipsync and HDMI control function
    4 x HDMI in / 1 x HDMI out (Repeater)
    Newly developed pre memory remote control handset with Glo-Key
    One-cable HD solution
    Supports HDMI 1.4a with Audio Return Channel
    All sources are up-converted to HDMI
    4 x HDMI in / 1 x HDMI out with On-Screen Display
    Fully discrete, identical quality and power for all 5 channels (110 W x 5ch)
    Stable power supply for high-quality sound and picture playback
    High definition audio support, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio
    Dock connectivity for iPod and network streaming
    Audyssey MultEQ and Auto Setup

AND NOW THE 4 WAY BATTLEGROUND FOR THIS YEARS BEST AV RECEIVER!

There are 4 receivers that I think will be up for serious awards this year - 1 has been out for a while the Marantz NR1501 but has to merit serious attention as it has just been reduced by Marantz by £100 - The Onkyo TXSR608 has been out for a couple of months now and has just received a stunning 5 Star review in the latest What Hi-fi, Last years What Hi-fi Receiver of the year has just been replaced by Denon with the AVR1911 and out of the Blue Pioneer have just launched a radical new mid-priced complete beauty the VSX-1920 which sounds completely amazing and also has the very best iPOD app I have ever seen to allow you to control it via your Iphone/Itouch - It really is a deal breaker of a feature!

Marantz NR1501

It has been as rare as hens teeth since Marantz introduced this baby last year - and now they have really screwed it up by knocking £100 off it - which means we will probably never be able to get hold of them at all anymore (we do have 'em in stock at the moment!) now just £289.95 / €359.99

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6696

If you've always wanted a good quality home cinema system but have lacked the space needed by the sizable cases, then you'll find the Marantz NR1501 the perfect solution. With a height of just 105mm, it is around fifty percent lower in profile than even its slimmest competitors and nearly half the height of some of the more portly models.

However it's still the sound quality that really impresses. With an EI transformer and quality components the NR1501 sounds far more powerful than its slim height might suggest. Furthermore, as with all Marantz products, the sound quality is first-rate. To enhance the sound quality still further, a Pure Direct function bypasses the decoding circuitry for a purer, more accurate sound with stereo music.

In terms of home cinema functionality, the NR1501 has everything you'd expect from an AV receiver of this class. A full 7.1 output lets you enjoy surround sound with added realism from a second set of high-mounted front speakers. Working in conjunction with this ideal speaker set-up you'll find Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoders offering full HD audio reproduction to match HD vision. The results are accurate surround sound with amazingly pin sharp imaging and a truly enveloping sound quality.

The NR1501 also makes few, if any, compromises when it comes to socketry. Four HDMI inputs is now the industry standard at this level and lets you plug in a Blu-ray player, HD games console, HD TV receiver and HD Camcorder or DVD player. A full range of component, composite, phono and digital audio connections make the NR1501 every bit as flexible as its full-size rivals.

ONKYO TXSR608

This beast does not need any further publicity - suffice to say it's HDMI 1.4, 7.2, and one of our favourites - at £449.95 / €499.99 (again see the mega Euro price) it truly deserved the What Hi-Fi 5 Star review it has just received in the latest issue (it's worth getting a copy this month - it's an excellent read!)

Now here is the real treat - PIONEER VSX920

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6690

Ok - it does look boring - well pretty much like any other mid-range Pioneer AV receiver - quite well built but unexceptional - however trust me - it sounds really amazing.

The VSX-920-K features internet radio with thousands of stations available worldwide, supporting both streaming and playlist-based stations. For your convenience, you can store up to 24 stations.

Using Bluetooth audio streaming ( with optional adapter) you can leave your iPod touch/iPhone or smartphone anywhere in the room or even carry it with you, while still enjoying your music. Also, you can stream directly from your PC. The Sound Retriever AIR will restore sound quality lost during streaming.

With your local area network, you can even use your iPhone or iPod touch as a remote control thanks to iControlAV home entertainment application.

Analogue sources are upscaled to an HDMI signal with up to 1080p (HD) resolution. HDMI v1.4a provides even more high definition connectivity options for compatibility with the latest video formats including 3D formats.

When connected to a Blu-ray player via HDMI, the VSX-920-K uses PQLS technology for a jitterless transmission, resulting in high-quality sound.

iPod/iPhone integration
    Thanks to iPhone/iPod touch integration by digital USB connection, you get direct plug-and-play enjoyment of all tracks stored on your device, including on-screen album art and track info. You can also view your favourite photos and videos on screen.

The Iphone / Itouch app is a real bonus and turns the 920 from an excellent Av receiver into a plausable Mini Multi room system! The VSX-920-K is ready to serve your present media needs. It features internet radio with thousands of stations available worldwide, supporting both streaming and playlist-based stations. For your convenience, you can store up to 24 stations.

Using Bluetooth audio streaming (optional adapter needed) you can leave your iPod touch/iPhone or smartphone anywhere in the room or even carry it with you, while still enjoying your music. Also, you can stream directly from your PC. The Sound Retriever AIR will restore sound quality lost during streaming.

With your local area network, you can even use your iPhone or iPod touch as a remote control thanks to our iControlAV home entertainment application.

HD audio formats are internally decoded for a supreme viewing experience.

Analogue sources are upscaled to an HDMI signal with up to 1080p (HD) resolution. HDMI v1.4a provides even more high definition connectivity options for compatibility with the latest video formats including 3D formats.

When connected to a Blu-ray player via HDMI, the VSX-920-K uses PQLS technology for a jitterless transmission, resulting in high-quality sound.

iPod/iPhone integration
    Thanks to iPhone/iPod touch integration by digital USB connection, you get direct plug-and-play enjoyment of all tracks stored on your device, including on-screen album art and track info. You can also view your favourite photos and videos on screen.

The Iphone/Itouch just turns what is an excellent AV Receiver into a completely plausable Mini multi room system - if you have an iTOUCH / iPHONE
    please do download this free app!
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/icontrolav/id339094801?mt=8

This Receiver is a complete bargain at £499.95 / €579.99

FINALLY THE ONE TO BEAT! - DENON AVR1911

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6694

This year Denon have updated their What Hifi AV Receiver of the year - by making everything simpler and beefing up all the components & performance - I have heard this at launch and in terms of pure Audio quality - this one is the one to beat!

Launching at £449.95 / €499.99 and available from stock now!

I'll post some more info on other mid priced recent arrivals and mid to top end AV Receiver arrivals over the next couple of days - again including really interesting models from Marantz / Denon & the latest from Onkyo!

Thanks guys and please drop us a line if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

I'll post some more info on other mid priced recent arrivals and mid to top end AV Receiver arrivals over the next couple of days - again including really interesting models from Marantz / Denon & the latest from Onkyo!

Must stay away from the forum so, why do I feel the risk of an upgrade to the 2311 coming on...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

John do you have a decent set of 5.1 speakers to go with them receivers?

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Must stay away from the forum so, why do I feel the risk of an upgrade to the 2311 coming on...:D

Eddie,

Listen I have to be honest with you - you must know you officially have a problem now - Audioitis is a serious condition and at present there is no cure -all I can advise is that you seek treatment asap - We would recommend that the best course of action - which is guaranteed to succeed is to hand us all your cash immediately in exchange for stuff with plugs on - this has been proven to completely cure any future (ability) issues.

Eddie, we await your cheque for treatment / consultancy & medication.

(In the meantime - I'll keep you posted on the new 2311 in case the treatment is unsuccessful)

ATB,

Dr. John VonDonald & The medical team at RSB

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Hi, how much for the Marantz NR1501 including postage to Cork? I don't have a credit card so is there some other way I could pay? I have laser. I was looking at a used Onkyo 607 but they're huge and I really don't need all the features. Soundwise, how do they compare?

Cheers.

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    John do you have a decent set of 5.1 speakers to go with them receivers?

SD_Dracula,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - which receiver were you looking at and any idea of a total package price or budget ofr the 5.1 speaker set?

If you give me some pointers we will revert and try to get you a Boardie dealette..

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Hi, how much for the Marantz NR1501 including postage to Cork? I don't have a credit card so is there some other way I could pay? I have laser. I was looking at a used Onkyo 607 but they're huge and I really don't need all the features. Soundwise, how do they compare?

Cheers.

Cgordon,

Thanks for the post!

I have sent you a PM and keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

SD_Dracula,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - which receiver were you looking at and any idea of a total package price or budget ofr the 5.1 speaker set?

If you give me some pointers we will revert and try to get you a Boardie dealette..

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

Well i was thinking the Pioneer VSX-920 and it can be run as 5.1 not just 7.1 right? Since the room is not that big. Not looking for anything fancy, just need something that will give nice sound for movies and games mainly. And also needs to have wall support with them if possible.

Well i was thinking the Pioneer VSX-920 and it can be run as 5.1 not just 7.1 right? Since the room is not that big. Not looking for anything fancy, just need something that will give nice sound for movies and games mainly. And also needs to have wall support with them if possible.

SD_DRACULA

Thanks again for the post - mmm the VSX920 I really like that unit - honestly the iPOD/iPHONE app which you can use to control the VSX920 is just soo sexy that it almost makes how it sounds secondary (but it does sound great as well :D)

Here are some really bad pics of the app:

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6716
    That's the overall main control panel

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6715
    That's the Balancer - It's really fun - you can swirl the sound all around the room (not as George Lucas intended - but a great show off for the mates)

picture.php?albumid=1039&pictureid=6714
    That's the Tone control - which again is a really good laugh!

However the 920 does also sound great and is genuinely serious competition to the Onkyo TXSR608 & the Denon AVR1911 for this year's awards.

A few speaker combos that would go well with the Pioneer include:

Pioneer VSX-920 & Tannoy SFX 5.1 speaker system - £679.95 (These come including the brackets for the satellites)

Pioneer VSX-920 & Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 System - £779.95 (That's a discount of about £230 from most UK dealers prices!) (The brackets are available at £11.99/pair for these babies)

If you would like something a bit more high end - just drop me a line - or of I can assist in any way - do feel free to hassle me and I'll do my best for you!

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

thanks for that John.
    to be honest i will probably go for the Pioneer VSX-920 & Tannoy SFX 5.1 speaker system combo but i need a few weeks, or at least until the next pay, to get them as i've just bought a 40" LED the other day :) and smashed the old piggy bank to bits.
    if you still have them around this time in august i should be good.
    how much will the postage be by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

Cgordon,

Thanks for the post!

I have sent you a PM and keep me posted if we can assist in any way,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

Hi John,
    Thanks for the quick response. The reason I'm looking at the Marantz is my TV stand has about 8 inches of room and I'd be worried a larger amp might overheat.

The amp would have loads of room to the back and sides for airflow. In your experience have ye had much hassle with amps that have had 2 inches clearance?

Also, i'd probably be interested in a decent 2.1 speaker system too. Any recommendations in something that's easily upgradable to 5.1 in future?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey.

SD_DRACULA - No worries at all, let us know when your ready and we can look after you. Delivery would cost £11.99 on a next day service (Providing itme are in stock).

Cgordonfreeman - 2 inches should be more than enough clearance. (If you could see mine - Ive got about 3cm between the top of my Onkyo 605 and the glass shelf above it). Its been running none stop for the last 4 years like this.

What sort of budget are you thinking for your speakers?
    A 2.1 pack could be made up from a different number of speakers that we would stock.
    Have a look over the following link to see if anything catches your eye and I can work you on a price for the bits :)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/category.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5

Or if you purchase the Pioneer VSX920 we could offer the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 pack at Just £349.95 and will include some speaker cable to connect it all together.:D
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&sub=100&productid=954

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ryanno

Hey.

SD_DRACULA - No worries at all, let us know when your ready and we can look after you. Delivery would cost £11.99 on a next day service (Providing itme are in stock).

Cgordonfreeman - 2 inches should be more than enough clearance. (If you could see mine - Ive got about 3cm between the top of my Onkyo 605 and the glass shelf above it). Its been running none stop for the last 4 years like this.

What sort of budget are you thinking for your speakers?
    A 2.1 pack could be made up from a different number of speakers that we would stock.
    Have a look over the following link to see if anything catches your eye and I can work you on a price for the bits :)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/category.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5

Or if you purchase the Pioneer VSX920 we could offer the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 pack at Just £349.95 and will include some speaker cable to connect it all together.:D
    https://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&sub=100&productid=954

Hope this helps.

Hi Kenny (AGAIN:o),

I must be annoying all in RS and the Philips shop this last few months. Thank you for educating me on my new av setup.

Unfortunately I won't be getting the new 8605 as hoped. Got a demo in store today and was left a little dissapointed. Too much reflection on the screen and a LOT of ghosting and motion issues. Hopefully going to get the NEW 46" 7605 instead.......

Anywho, this means that I should have a little more to play around with on the Speaker/receiver front. :D

I have narrowed the system down to either denon 1611/1911 or the Onkyo 508/608. I am also looking for a 5.1 speaker setup to do it justice. I won't be going to a 7.1 system due to the shape of the room, so unsure as to the which spec to go with. The breakdown of usage would be 70% TV and blu ray movies and 20% Gaming from a PS3. The other 10% would be from laptop music streaming/CD/DVD!

thanks again,

Hey Ryanno.

Its no trouble at all :D

I have dropped you a PM with some deals.

Hey Ryanno.

Its no trouble at all :D

I have dropped you a PM with some deals.

Hi Kenny,

New PM sent,

Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

Lads, could you quote me for the marantz 1501 and a small sized set of very cheap speakers,black.

Hey Bonzer1again.

Just droppped you a little PM. :)

Hi Kenny,

New PM sent!!:D:D;)

John i've dropped you a PM about something nice i wanna buy :)

John i've dropped you a PM about something nice i wanna buy :)

SD,

Thanks for that - order is much appreciated - I hope you enjoy it & keep me posted if you have any queries!

Get that App downloaded in the meantime..

ATB,

John Mc & crew

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.