Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The cycling equivalent of go-faster stripes...

• 29-06-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

Well, not quite, but close. I'm using a Dawes Discovery 201 at the moment, and the amount of cycling I do isn't enough to justify splashing out on a road bike. As a result, I'm trying to upgrade bits and pieces on the bike, but I'm not certain whether some things are advisable. So I have a couple of questions I hope someone might be able to answer:

1. The bike currently has a quill stem and I'm thinking of changing to the type seen on road bikes. Is it worth it, and will it be compatible with the frame geometry given that the handlebars will drop a few inches?

2. I'm thinking of installing bar ends as well for the sake of being able to change grip every now and again - is it easy to do, and again, is it worth it?

3. I can't justify buying road wheels, but skinnier tyres would be a help - can you buy such a thing for a hybrid?

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Not all upgrades are necessary </shock>! ;)

Your quill stem matches your forks. To change the stem, you'd have to change the forks.

Bar ends should be very easy to fit. They either clamp to the end of your handlebars, or insert into the end of your handlebars. If the latter, there's no need to change your existing setup. If the former, you'll have to move everything 'inboard' a little bit to make room for the clamps.

Tyres are a great cheap way of improving your bike. There are loads of threads on here about that.

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

If you really want to change your stem, this yoke should work to go from a 1" quill to 1-1/8th". Unless you need to change stem length or something, there's no real need to upgrade though.

Pretty much any tyres should fit; I put 700x28c Gatorskins on my hybrid, they really make a huge difference to rolling and cornering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I'm looking at changing stems because I'm sick of the quill stem getting loose. I'm having real problems keeping it from shaking, and even now there's a small bit of up-down play in it. That, and I can't get it any lower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Ah, I see. Is it one of the adjustable ones? That's the type on mine, and it drives me totally nuts. The converter should do the job then, just get a normal road stem in whatever length/angle combo you like!

Advertisement