Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food for house sparrows

• 29-06-2010 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭

I crushed up some 'nice 'biscuits into little crumbs Nice_biscuit.jpg and left them out on the table in the back garden today.
    Lots of little house sparrows came by and gobbled them down.

Is it ok to feed crumbs of biscuits like this to sparrows? :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No. Not ideal. Too much processed sugar and fat. Better to give them seeds and peanuts (in a mesh feeder)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

No. Not ideal. Too much processed sugar and fat. Better to give them seeds and peanuts (in a mesh feeder)

I actually got one this morning in homebase with the peanuts, and some other cake -feed for them containing sunflower hearts and insects

Actually, is it better to cut the peanuts up smaller in a blender and then put them in the mesh feeder, or is it fine to leave them whole?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

csc_0288.jpg

Leaving them whole is fine, just make sure they're in the mesh feeder. I've got a flock out the back of my garden, I saw the adults taking bits of the peanuts and feeding them to the house sparrow chicks.
    I've attached an image of a juvenile sparrow at the feeder (the image was too large to add in the post)

Thanks for the info, and the photos :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement