Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plain ol' Spain vs Paraguay, Saturday 3rd July, 7:30pm (RTE & BBC HD)

• 29-06-2010 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

a99.jpg

flag-164-108.jpgflag-210-108.jpg

Spain vs Paraguay

Match 60
    3rd July 2010
    World Cup Quarter-Final
    Johannesburg - Ellis Park Stadium

Sorry redout ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

prob the worst QF from a neutral perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Spain and Paraguay - please give me a pleasant shock next Saturday, because already thinking to myself that this will be the most boring quarter-final!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

SMH at the responses, IMO it could be at least 3-0 if Spain hit form. Torres gets 5 days more to get that bit sharper, he looked good at the start of tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Really hope Spain get through this one. They have to start to play the football we know they are capable of playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Hoping for a Paraguay win. Nice to see a dark horse getting a good run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Has potential to be very boring, with Spain not hitting full throttle. But, they could be conserving, and if they don't hit full throttle until it's needed (ie. the Final) so be it. Could be the smartest thing ever.

I see 1-0 or 2-0 to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Spain should win this game with something to spare. It is the ideal game for Torres to get his mojo back as they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Paraguay have the best defense in the tournament imo, it will be very interesting to watch this. Some people on here just want to see goals and more goals and of course we all like them but I really rate this Paraguayan side except for one thing, they are missing that playmaker in attack.

If they manage to keep Spain scoreless it will be a fantastic achievement and I for one will laud them for it and I'll have enjoyed one hell of a defensive performance too if that happens.

Spain should win this game with something to spare. It is the ideal game for Torres to get his mojo back as they say.
    I'd be very surprised if he even starts after Llorente's showing tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

come on Paraguay, love to see them do it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Spain should win this tbh, i'd say 2-0 or 3-0.

DazMarz wrote: »
    Has potential to be very boring, with Spain not hitting full throttle. But, they could be conserving, and if they don't hit full throttle until it's needed (ie. the Final) so be it. Could be the smartest thing ever.

I see 1-0 or 2-0 to Spain.

I think they will need to be in fifth gear for 90 minutes to knock out Argentina if they face them in the semis, never mind who they face in the final!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Ive given up on Spain, they've disappointed me, plus the fact I have Paraguay in my sweepstake, Go On Paraguay :p

eagle eye wrote: »
    Paraguay have the best defense in the tournament imo, it will be very interesting to watch this. Some people on here just want to see goals and more goals and of course we all like them but I really rate this Paraguayan side except for one thing, they are missing that playmaker in attack.

If they manage to keep Spain scoreless it will be a fantastic achievement and I for one will laud them for it and I'll have enjoyed one hell of a defensive performance too if that happens.

I can't see them doing it for two reasons (1) they look tired in the game today against Japan. so imagine how shagged they'll likely be in the next game. Also, Spain is possibly the worst team you ccan face if you have heavy legs.
    (2) Portugal's defense is much better than Paraguay's and they failed to keep Spain out.

I'd be very surprised if he even starts after Llorente's showing tonight.

yeah you're right he probably won't. hopefully he'll be brought on though if Spain are coasting to victory and he can score a couple of goals to get his confidence back.

if he doesn't it might be easier for Liverpool to hold onto him;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Spain need to drop Busquets, move Iniesta back and get Silva playing. With those changes they'd easily beat Paraguay

/football manager

I can't see them doing it for two reasons (1) they look tired in the game today against Japan. so imagine how shagged they'll likely be in the next game. Also, Spain is possibly the worst team you ccan face if you have heavy legs.
    (2) Portugal's defense is much better than Paraguay's and they failed to keep Spain out.
    I completely disagree with point 2. I believe that Paraguay have the best defense in the World Cup. I've been really impressed and its not just that they have good defenders but they are very disciplined too and don't give away silly free kicks.

I didn't notice them looking tired today, they may have looked that way in extra-time but I never noticed it.

This Paraguay team beat Brazil 2-0 in the qualifiers for this World Cup, and only lost in the return 2-1. They only finished 1 point behind them in the qualifiers and I think Brazil are the best team in the tournament.

Spain need to drop Busquets, move Iniesta back and get Silva playing. With those changes they'd easily beat Paraguay

/football manager
    Busquets has been brilliant and they don't need Silva on the pitch, they have enough players on attack. Where are you gonna play Silva? On the left where Villa is playing? On the right and mess up what Ramos is doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Busquets has been brilliant and they don't need Silva on the pitch, they have enough players on attack. Where are you gonna play Silva? On the left where Villa is playing? On the right and mess up what Ramos is doing?

+1 to this. Leave Silva out. Villa is playing great on the left and what Ramos is doing I'm suprised hes not dropped dead of tiredness, he never stops running, really impressive stuff from him.
    I completely disagree with point 2. I believe that Paraguay have the best defense in the World Cup. I've been really impressed and its not just that they have good defenders but they are very disciplined too and don't give away silly free kicks.

Altho I think Paraguay have a good defence, I don't think it's the best in the World Cup, I'd say Brazils is.

P.S Finally figured out how to multi quote!

I think Torres is suffering from Samsonitus. He hasn't looks good since he cut the locks.:D

• Advertisement

I didn't notice them looking tired today, they may have looked that way in extra-time but I never noticed it.

This Paraguay team beat Brazil 2-0 in the qualifiers for this World Cup, and only lost in the return 2-1. They only finished 1 point behind them in the qualifiers and I think Brazil are the best team in the tournament.

I wouldn't read too much into the south american qualifying campaign. Afterall Argentina lost 6- 0 to Bolivia in a game and looked very unimpressive throughout their qualifying campaign.
    Paraguay are well-organised but they do not have the best defense in this competion from what i've seen. Their defense hasn't really been tested yet either imo.
    After the gruellling game today, Spain is the least desirable team for them to have to face.

I wouldn't read too much into the south american qualifying campaign. Afterall Argentina lost 6- 0 to Bolivia in a game and looked very unimpressive throughout their qualifying campaign.
    Paraguay are well-organised but they do not have the best defense in this competion from what i've seen. Their defense hasn't really been tested yet either imo.
    After the gruellling game today, Spain is the least desirable team for them to have to face.
    A lot of teams lose up in Bolivia, its at very high altitude. Brazil lost up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

and what Ramos is doing I'm suprised hes not dropped dead of tiredness, he never stops running, really impressive stuff from him.
    Too true. He doesn't get enough credit for it though. His drive and athleticism are incredible.

Yeah, and Spain only passed the ball around for the last 15-20 mins, which means 70-75 minutes of really working, while Paraguay went 120 minutes, 50-45 minutes more. Thats an entire half a game.

kinaldo wrote: »
    Too true. He doesn't get enough credit for it though. His drive and athleticism are incredible.

Yeah, some people think he is too impetous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Gotta agree with all the S.Ramos talk, he has being good going forward, every team really needs a good attacking full back to offer width and drive back the on coming left midfielder and ramos is very good at it.

Hopefully Paraguay can play some good stuff, I dotn think Spain will have it all their own way though, Paraguay are well organised and efficent with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

kinaldo wrote: »

Agree 100%, and it's that very reason why I think he's wasted at CB, and signing Maicon could hamper the progress of a potential Real captain in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Spain need to drop Busquets,

/football manager

Busquets is getting an awful lot of stick for some reason. I thought he was excellent last night. He did what was needed to do without flair or ceremony, passed well and tackled well. I fail to see what else he can do. He is an essential part of the current Spain side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I just don't think he's needed in the side. Alonso can do what he does, which allows Iniesta to play in the centre with Xavi.

• Advertisement

I just don't think he's needed in the side. Alonso can do what he does, which allows Iniesta to play in the centre with Xavi.

Don't they too that already? IMO they linked up in central midfield a lot last night, with Xavi going forward regulary.

Drop Alonso in that case. Alonso is not an effective DM, Busquets is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Paraguay are poor to watch and will defend like crazy in this match. Spain will have all the ball and will probably score eventually. Not going to be most exciting of matches me thinks. Just hope Villa can add to his tally to make him top-scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Word is that Torres will be starting the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gimmick wrote: »
    Busquets is getting an awful lot of stick for some reason. I thought he was excellent last night. He did what was needed to do without flair or ceremony, passed well and tackled well. I fail to see what else he can do. He is an essential part of the current Spain side.

I think people's opinion of Busquet's is coloured a bit by what he did in the CL final.

Well then people are putting on blinkers for the wrong reasons then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Viva Espana, really hope Spain go through.

I think Spain will have the vast majority of possession tonight and will score. If they score early I think paraguay would come forward and concede 3-4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

España lineup:
    Casillas; Ramos, Piqué, Puyol, Capdevila; Busquets, Xabi Alonso, Xavi; Iniesta, Villa, Torres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've a feeling Torres will get off the mark this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I've a feeling Torres will get off the mark this evening.

Let's hope so. Off to the pub to watch this one now.

Paraguay v Spain line-ups:

Paraguay: 1-Justo Villar; 2-Dario Veron, 14-Paulo Da Silva, 21-Antolin Alcaraz, 3-Claudio Morel, 8-Edgar Barreto, 11-Jonathan Santana, 15-Victor Caceres, 16-Cristian Riveros, 18-Nelson Valdez, 7-Oscar Cardozo.

Spain: 1-Iker Casillas; 15-Sergio Ramos, 3-Gerard Pique, 5-Carles Puyol, 11-Joan Capdevila; 14-Xabi Alonso, 8-Xavi, 6-Andres Iniesta, 16-Sergio Busquets; 9-Fernando Torres, 7-David Villa.

ffs, that **** of a manager playing Torres again.

He's clearly not fit, the whole world can see. Should never have been picked for this WC.

He's risking a long term injury to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

No fewer that 6 changes to Paraguays first team! :eek: The 3 strikers all dropped to the bench! Fair play to the manager, even though they qualified he obviously didn't like what he saw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Spain to romp this one. Money on a Torres hat-trick and Spain 4-0, 5-0, 6-0 and 7-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

PP special..... Xavi OR Iniesta to score at ANY time 2/1.... decent shout I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi ho Not thrilled with Torres starting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Whats with the speaches??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

So thats 2 out of the three South America versus Europe won by Europe! Will Spain make it three?

Its amazing how different the teams reaction to their anthems are. Paraguay belted it out while none of the Spanish players sung a note

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

The commentator on BBC mentioned some player index which listed Capdevilla as no.1 based on a formula of their contribution to games) while Schneider is way down the list. Anyone know what the index is?

• Advertisement
Advertisement