Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housemate claiming rent allowance but I did not sign forms?

• 29-06-2010 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have a problem in relation to my housemate claiming rent allowance and I wondered if anyone can help me out on it.Basically,I rented out one room in my house to him under 'Rent A Room' scheme.However,he lost his job and I said he could stay on rent free for a while until he found something temporary.
    I got a letter in the post last week from the HSE,requesting me to fill in my 'Landlord' details such as PPS no. etc.I'm not a 'landlord' and there was never
    any tenancy set up between us.I don't know how he managed to make a claim when I didn't sign any forms or give my consent etc.It also states on the HSE letter that they're obliged to forward my income details to Revenue.Is it possible to find out from Revenue if they already have details of my supposed rental income even though I never had one!(under Rent A Room Schem,you're allowed take in your rent in your own residence tax free up to 10,000eu).

Jut trying to find out if this has happened to anyone before and am I ok in relation to Revenue etc.?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

sounds like your renter went round to CWO got the forms, filled out their bit went back and said you didnt/refused to sign landlord bit at which point they would then send letter to you requesting such information
    if there is a phone number on the form ring them and see what the story is also as your room renter what its about as you are not a landlord
    sounds a bit sneaky to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have a problem in relation to my housemate claiming rent allowance and I wondered if anyone can help me out on it.Basically,I rented out one room in my house to him under 'Rent A Room' scheme.However,he lost his job and I said he could stay on rent free for a while until he found something temporary.
    I got a letter in the post last week from the HSE,requesting me to fill in my 'Landlord' details such as PPS no. etc.I'm not a 'landlord' and there was never
    any tenancy set up between us.I don't know how he managed to make a claim when I didn't sign any forms or give my consent etc.It also states on the HSE letter that they're obliged to forward my income details to Revenue.Is it possible to find out from Revenue if they already have details of my supposed rental income even though I never had one!(under Rent A Room Schem,you're allowed take in your rent in your own residence tax free up to 10,000eu).

Jut trying to find out if this has happened to anyone before and am I ok in relation to Revenue etc.?

Worry not as clearly they have no information on you; hence the forms of course.

He cannot claim or get RA without that form is filled in by you - period.

Very cheeky of your house mate.

But all he will have told the CWO is that he wants to claim RA and that you are his landlord - which of course you are not.So he gave them false info in fact.

Speak with him and don;t fill the forms in. And don;t worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 poolaphuca2009

I'm obviously not going to fill them in so I just need to speak with housemate and that should be the end of that.

Advertisement