Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get a bridge camera? (Fuji HS10)

• 29-06-2010 10:03pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I didn't want to drag the other thread miles off topic so I thought I'd start a new one instead. I was originally planning to get a Canon 500D with a superzoom lens, something like the Tamron 18-270mm or the Sigma 18-250mm OS as I want the simplicity of just one lens. Someone suggested a Bridge camera like the Fujifilm Finepix HS80 might be a better idea. I had not really considered the Bridge cameras as really I did not know much about them. However in researching this one I am very very impressed.

I've had multiple lenses before and found it a pain, usually just left on the 17-70mm but wished it was bigger, and the 70-300 is too long at the low range. I did like my 50mm though. The HS10 seems to provide most of what I am looking for in a camera - a lot of convenience with only a few downsides really.

Feature Overview Video:

Reviews:
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_hs10_review
    http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Fujifilm-FinePix-HS10-13479#verdict

Not so favourable review:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00342UTQ6/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_2?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addTwoStar

Good video review:

So, we first have to acknowledge that this is not a 1-2k full slr, its trying to do a lot at a small price so it can't possible be as good. However I just want to know will it be 'good enough' for me? Reading the reviews some complain about the image quality, however others rave about it - so I'm not convinced its that bad really. I think it has f2.8 which sounds good to me. I'll primarily be using it when I travel. The other place it will get lots of use is portraits, specifically nightlcub type photography.

I do like the features which some might find gimmicky, panorama, high speed, tilting lcd, motion sweep etc. Best of all is the price, at €450 it's a fraction of what I would want to spend on a e.g Sigma 18-250mm OS and a Canon 500D/550D - at approx €1,100/€1,400

I think I'm fairly sold. I can always sell it and upgrade later if I feel the need but I'd appreciate any comments or let me know of any more potential downsides I might have missed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd sayy stick with the dslr and get one of those 18-200 zooms if you're that hung up on changing lenses. There are a whole host of reasons why they're better that aren't really captured in lists of features. Faster autofocus, better low light capability, less shutter lag, the advantages of a proper optical viewfinder over an EVF.
    The resale value of compacts also tends to be a lot less than you might think. Sticking with the DSLR means you have options later on aswell. The first time you stick a fast prime onto your cam for some low light photography you'll be glad you didn't go with some bells and whistles superzoomy compact that would prove completely useless in the same situation :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Just reading through your post again, for some reason I thought you already had a digital canon body ? I must have picked up something wrong from the previous thread.
    I'd still go with some combination of a halfway decent DSLR w/ lens if possible. The only reason I'd consider a compact was if it was, well, compact. Those superzoom compacts seem to be about as big as a DSLR. Kinda negates the purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You mentioned wanting to take some photos in the nightclub, F2.8 might not cut the mustard for this. As Daire said, a DSLR in that respect would be better. Get a nifty fifty and you have F1.4 or 1.8 at your fingertips.

The bridge is pretty well spec'd but I can't imagine it holding a candle to a DSLR and a prime. Why not look at a second hand DSLR with some new or second hand lenses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I really don't see the point in bridge cameras. They might have filled a niche some years ago when new & second hand DSLRs were still very expensive, but that's not the case any more. They combine all the disadvantages of a DSLR (size, weight, visibility) with all the disadvantages of a compact digital camera (tiny sensor, tiny pixels, excess pixels, poor dynamic range, poor manual controls, laughable low-light performance, EVF/screen) without really adding much by way of compensation for this.

It sounds like you're falling into the old trap of "needing to cover a load of focal lengths". I really don't think anyone needs to do this; even photojournalists don't need the kind of range you're talking about. Camera/lens manufacturers like to offer these lenses because they appeal to a simplistic way of comparing the relative merits of different lenses to customers who are not particularly well informed about what they should be looking for in a lens.

If I was doing portrait/nightclub photography, a bridge camera would probably be absolutely last on the list of cameras I'd like to use (although this would probably be true of most kinds of photography, save for some kinds of macro work and possible flash photography where a high sync speed is needed).

In your other thread you mentioned you already had a DSLR and several lenses, but weren't happy with them as you didn't like having to change lens. I can't help but think if thought changing lenses was limiting, you'd certainly find the capabilities of a bridge camera limiting.

In short, I wouldn't recommend you buy a bridge camera because it's a worst-of-both-worlds device and while the range of focal lengths it covers may sound good on paper, the lens and sensor are probably pretty awful for real-world use. Get a DSLR and one or two decent lenses that cover a relatively short range or are fixed focal length, or get a decent compact digital camera like a G11. You can probably get a second-hand DSLR and prime lens for the price of that bridge camera, and you can certainly buy a high-end compact digital camera for the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

If HD video seems nice to you, and you really do not want to be changing lenses, that Fuji would more than do the job. I'd ignore any reviews on Amazon, really. It gets good reviews in all the top mags.

BUT, I'm with the others - A half decent dslr with a nice prime will savage that fancy bridge any time. That Fuji is not cheap. For that money you would fetch a Sony A230 with kit lens, plus a Minolta 50mm f/1.7 [used, they're all over ebay, great lens, love mine]

Anything left over can go to your zoom fund.

£400 is a LOT for a bridge cam, no matter how good. But, for convenience, range, and the HD video, if you don't mind the slight dip in IQ - it is a solid contender.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks for the replies guys its great to get all the advantages and disadvantages. In short, I'm fully aware it's a compromise but it will only be a temporary one really. Charybdis, I did indeed have a camera and several lenses, but as I mentioned, it all got stolen - so I have to buy it all again. I just cannot afford to get the gear I would really like right now. For the camera body I only want the 550D, I don't want to get an older 2nd one. I might consider used lenses, but not the body. The reason I'm considering a bridge is because right now I don't have a camera. I can get decent bridge camera now for €400 - then start saving for the proper camera gear I really want. Later in the year when I'm able to fork out €1,500+ or so I can do it right, but at least I'll have a decent bridge in the meantime. Right now I just really miss not having a camera and want 'something' which is versatile for holidays etc. The Bridge will do a lot for not a huge amount of money. No it's not going to give me supreme quality pix like a slr setup of 4 times the price but that's just unachievable for the moment...

So, are there any other bridge cameras I should be considering? Which is known for the best image quality and lens?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Zascar wrote: »
    So, are there any other bridge cameras I should be considering? Which is known for the best image quality and lens?
    Thanks

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38 is one of the best bridge cameras. You
    can get one for around €300 if you shop around. The other candidate for
    best bridge is the Fuji HS10 that you already mentioned.

The only problem with buying a bridge camera is that it will
    become redundant once you get around to buying another
    DSLR. If you are planning to sell it on later, you have a
    better chance of recovering most of the purchase price
    if you buy the Panasonic. HS10 prices are relatively high
    because it is a new model.

Another option is to buy a really good compact camera
    which you could keep as a second camera when you get
    your new DSLR. The Canon G11 or smaller S90 are worth
    looking at. Lumix TZ7 is another very good camera. Arguably
    better than the newer TZ10 and a bit cheaper.

Advertisement