Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential trade-up to a Ducati 999 - views?

• 29-06-2010 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Lads and lasses,

I'm looking at trading up my GSX-R 600 K1, and I've been looking longingly at a Duc 999. My head tells me I should be shopping for a GSX-R 1000 or one of the other big four litre flag-bikes. But my heart has historically belonged to Ducati. Ever since I saw Shakey Byrne thundering down the straight at Mondello and backing it in for Honda corner. There's something about the Ducati V-Twin bellow (or L-Twin bellow in the 999s case) that makes me weak at the knees.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any and all owner testimonies or even views of those in the know. Is it practical to service it myself? Parts availability? How cool is it to ride? :D

Thanks,
    Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Screw practicality, if you really want it then go for it, you will enjoy it more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

madrab wrote: »
    Screw practicality, if you really want it then go for it, you will enjoy it more

No doubt I'll enjoy it more.

However, there's a mate of mine who is very very into Italian cars. More specifically Alfa Romeos. He has a lovely 1982 GTV6. Absolutely beautiful car, but he's constantly having to fettle with it and spend money on it. This is exactly what I don't want.

Is the Italian reputation of style over substance warranted?

I s'pose I could keep my GSX-R (for the odd commute) and use the Duc as a weekend toy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Modern ducatis are probably more reliable (i have no idea though), pm sutty, he was always into ducatti's
    When it comes to style over substance, i can speak from experience, I just bought a buell, reliability be-damned ill enjoy it more! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

999R will be a future classic I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

alanmc wrote: »
    ...but he's constantly having to fettle with it and spend money on it. This is exactly what I don't want...

I've had a lot of car trouble and expense over the years but I have always had a car I fancied.

All machines will cause you some kind of grief at some stage. They are made from materials that are dug out of the ground. I wouldn't not buy a bike I loved because I had very high expectations of reliability. Lower your expectations and you won't be disappointed!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

The review below suggests that your concerns re: maintenance are somewhat well-founded. I was interested, though, in the fact that the actual owner scores are consistently higher than the MCN reviewer's ones. Perhaps your idea of using it as a fun 'weekender' and keeping something more reliable for commuting is a good one (if you have the money for that). Good luck with it either way.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Ducati/Ducati-999-Biposto-2003---current/

All good points and well made.

The one thing that struck me about the article in MCN that Egg (may I call you Egg?) posted was that (and I quote):
    Servicing is crucial on the Ducati 999 - every two years it requires a 14 hour workshop check and replacement of cambelts, fork oil, fluids etc. Neglected Ducati 999 models will break down - sooner rather than later.

Now, I'm used to servicing my bike myself ... simple things mind you: oil change, chain/sprockets, brake pads, fluids, clutch, etc. I've also replaced many parts myself. I'm thinking of tackling the valve clearances on my K1 soon. A 14 hour workshop check would not be high on my "sign me up for that" list. I'm just afraid that servicing the bike myself would not be sufficient on the Duc. Seems to work very well on my Gixxer and has served me well in the past on my old ZX6-R and my first CBR 250R.

However, if it put a huge smile on my face, I could live with it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

belts need to be done every 2 years, and are quite critical.. but that 14hr healthcheck sounds like complete BS - though would expect as much from MCN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

EGOSHEA wrote: »
    ...I was interested, though, in the fact that the actual owner scores are consistently higher than the MCN reviewer's ones
    ...well, owner's are spending their own money,and I'd be putting more weight behind that, tbh.....journalists aren't/don't, so would be in 2nd place, imho.
    . A 14 hour workshop check would not be high on my "sign me up for that" list. I'm just afraid that servicing the bike myself would not be sufficient on the Duc. .........However, if it put a
    huge smile on my face, I could live with it. :D

Well, how much of that 14hrs is the simple stuff ? If you take out all you can do yourself, then the service time would come down - lets guess, to 8hrs, so that'd still be a runner, no ?

If you can keep the Gixxer, by all means - there's no plan like a Backup Plan !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lads,I own a 996 desmo.I came from a track spec SP1 and R1 to the 996

Its been totally reliable and a pleasure to ride.Its an amazing bike and has great road presence too.Its a crowd puller too.

Belts are done every 2 years,or 10,000 kms (whichever comes 1st) and is around 280-300 euro from Ducati Dublin or BHP race/road bike services.

Plugs (2 NGK,s)are only 20 euro and you only use Shell Advance oil.3.8 litres for the 996.Oil filter is 8 euro.

Keep the bike clean and go and enjoy riding it.

Simple as that.

paddy147 wrote: »

Its been totally reliable and a pleasure to ride.Its an amazing bike and has great road presence too.Its a crowd puller too.

Belts are done every 2 years,or 10,000 kms (whichever comes 1st) and is around 280-300 euro from Ducati Dublin or BHP race/road bike services.

Plugs (2 NGK,s)are only 20 euro and you only use Shell Advance oil.3.8 litres for the 996.Oil filter is 8 euro.

Simple as that.

That's a beautiful 996 Paddy. Prettier nose than the 999 IMO. And the single sided swingarm. Very nice indeed. They seem to be thin on the ground though.

They seem to be thin on the ground though.

Thats why its a bit of a crowd pleaser and crowd puller.People are intrigued to have a closer look at it and ask you questions about it.

Thanks for the comments.:)

Oh and the bike wasnt crashed,incase anyone may think that from the 1st pic.

The bodywork was off,as I was cleaning the air box and its filters out,changing the plugs,oil and filter myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Gorgeous bike paddy147. Do you own the MK2 behind the bike? if yes, maybe you could post some pics and details about it in motors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

paddy147 wrote: »

Simple as that.

Nice car + bike combo! Would take both of them :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Get the Ducati! Feck practicality, get the bike you want. If you get the new suzuki you'll constantly be thinking about the Ducati! Every time a Ducati drives past with that sound that only they make you'll wonder why you got the suzuki!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I bought a 998s last month, I kept my GSXR750K7 for day to day use. The Duke is heart ackingly beautiful and a pleasure to ride too. It has not had any problems yet except a few loose wiring issues due to long term dissuse (and being Itallion) Belts can be done for as little as €250 in an independent workshop or €500 in a Ducati workshop. Theres a '05 999 (red frame) for sale in Galway for €6000 (Donedeal) Older 916 and 748 models have reliability issues, cam followers and poor generators, which make them unsuitable for every day transport. My advice: BUY BUY BUY:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭amacca

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Get the Ducati! Feck practicality, get the bike you want. If you get the new suzuki you'll constantly be thinking about the Ducati! Every time a Ducati drives past with that sound that only they make you'll wonder why you got the suzuki!

Completely agree with the above. Was veering towards getting a gixxer or an r1 and bought a 999s just after last Christmas.....remembered all the other occasions I compromised and bought something that was close to what I wanted but not quite it, all for the sake money, you just keep wondering what you really wanted was like, how much better it is than what you ended up with etc......you cant take it with you......and if you've got it spend it on something that's going to make you happy and if my experience of the so far was anything to go by the 999 will bring a smile to your face. Its a beautiful bike, much better in the flesh than in photos and its looks really grow on you (trust me on that), with termis it sounds outrageous, never fails to attract attention, the dash just looks incredible at night, it ghosts through turns etc etc

disclaimer: I only use it for fair weather riding and wouldn't necessarily think its a good idea for daily commuting, temperature rockets in traffic, clutch is grabby (but you do get used to it very quick) around town etc, first gear is very tall....if I wanted a twin for daily use, sadly Id probably go for an sp1 or sp2 (with satos attached - very pleasing sound also though)

anyway probably stating the obvious here and Im sure you know all this already but if you do go the 999 route make sure you get a low mileage (roughly 10 - 15k if you can), get a full service history (ducati if possible) and don't be afraid to give the bike a full inspection (take as long as you need, ask for the fairings to be removed, check the oil for dirt or any metal flecks in it(very worrying), check for signs bike has been tracked, check brake disks, fork seals if you don't want the possible problems that could result from you taking a test ride, ask the owner to start it up, listen to the engine note...ignore the clattering of the clutch,ask owner to pull clutch in so you can hear the engine note - run a mile from anything that doesn't sound healthy and if your wondering what healthy sounds like go up to Ducati Dublin and ask them to start one up for you as you pretend (or maybe not) to be interested in buying etc etc

and after you've done all that when you do come across the right one, if its a private sale it will probably be blindingly obvious that the owner has minded it like it was their firstborn:), I was at walderstown roadrace last sunday and only saw one other ducati (parked mullingar end) a yellow 996. I'm beginning to think that most people that own them don't actually ride them that often which is good if you want to buy secondhand.

• Advertisement

Thanks to all for their replies. It's obvious that the consensus is to throw practicality out the window and buy a duke. It's gonna have to wait a bit though. Car tax is due (not insubstantial on a V6). In the meantime, I'll start the search.

Cheers again lads and losses.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thanks to all for their replies. It's obvious that the consensus is to throw practicality out the window and buy a duke. It's gonna have to wait a bit though. Car tax is due (not insubstantial on a V6). In the meantime, I'll start the search.

Cheers again lads and losses.

Al.

...well I bought a different kind of V-Twin a few years ago, again, which I was told was a fair-weather don't-go-out-in-the-rain-or-cloudy-day machine, so was girding my loins for it being case of living with it's impracticality.

Turned out the machine has turned out the opposite, and works brilliantly as a hack/commute/cruise bike that loves to be ridden hard.

Here's hoping a modern Duc turns out to be just as much fun.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement