Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

32 Strand Speaker Cable Sound Quality?

• 29-06-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, I wonder if anyone has input on 32 strand speaker cable sound quality. I'm planning on purchasing an OPUS 300 multiroom system for sound and vision with twin paired ceiling speakers, and the supplier recommends 32 strand from a wall controller to the speakers in the ceiling in each room. The distance is around 8 - 10 feet to each speaker.

I'm new to this, but reading many different views on cables, it seems it is the manufactures of speaker cables that are pushing expensive high end cables as a requirement, where other sites say there is no real difference between the sound quality of the middle of the road strand cables.

The reason I ask is if anyone has or is using 32 strand and what is their view on it. The speakers will be used for audio and video sound for tv and background music.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

efrisby,

Hi and welcome to the forums. Discusssion of cables tends to disintegrate, particularly where the issue of percieved quality/price issues are concerned - I hope that this does not occur here ;)

There is a stickey at the top of the forums dealing with cables - see here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055814999. I see no reason why normal 79 strand speaker cable, as indicated in the Stickey, available on the reel from the likes of Maplins, wouldn't do perfectly well for the purpose you describe.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

The Ritz wrote: »
    I see no reason why normal 79 strand speaker cable, as indicated in the Stickey, available on the reel from the likes of Maplins, wouldn't do perfectly well for the purpose you describe.

Agreed, for your purpose, I do not see what purpose the thinner cable would serve other than perhaps less resistance to the speakers. Unless the speakers are particularly sensitive to resistance on the incoming signal and require a specific max or min resistance, I wouldn't see any issue with "normal" speaker cable.

If you are particularly looking for thin speaker cable that's a different story. There are possibilities of getting it or flat wire for under carpets etc, but it might be as easy to get a higher grade copper normal speaker wire that would in itself provide less resistance.

To be honest, the differences in resistances I speak of here are unlikely to be of impact for your (or any) consumer devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 efrisby

Thanks for your replies, I would have used the 79 strand to, but as my post includes, the provider of the OPUS 300 states the highest strand to work with the OPUS 300 is 32 Strand, which is the largest strand to work on the connections, so the question was, would the difference between 79 Strand and 32 Strand be highly noticeable, or would it be just noticeable to the trained ear :) The speakers will be used for background music and watching TV in many different rooms, except for the main living sitting area.

I don't really want to get into an argument about speaker cable quality and all that.

Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

........so the question was, would the difference between 79 Strand and 32 Strand be highly noticeable, or would it be just noticeable to the trained ear The speakers will be used for background music and watching TV in many different rooms, except for the main living sitting area.

Its only my opinion, but for the usuage you describe I very much doubt that there would be any noticeable difference from using 32 strand speaker cables.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

The Ritz wrote: »
    Its only my opinion, but for the usuage you describe I very much doubt that there would be any noticeable difference from using 32 strand speaker cables.

Cheers,

Ritz.

I'd be inclined to agree. Without knowing the equipment and quality of source material generally speaking 79 strand will give better bass and more detail. For background music and casual TV use there won't be much difference. Go with the makers recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 efrisby

Thanks guys for that, the next step is getting it all working :)

Advertisement