Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best lessons?

Options
  • 29-06-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Dont have a clue about surfing really. I have tried it 3 times so far at carrowniski in Mayo. The instructor said I could probably just rent a board next time. Where would be a good place to go though? I could go back to Mayo for a few more goes I suppose but where else would be a good place to go for more lessons?

I've been reading up on the Bundoran area but I wouldn't have a clue of the etiquette for old timers just taking up the sport.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

kerinsp wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Dont have a clue about surfing really. I have tried it 3 times so far at carrowniski in Mayo. The instructor said I could probably just rent a board next time. Where would be a good place to go though? I could go back to Mayo for a few more goes I suppose but where else would be a good place to go for more lessons?

I've been reading up on the Bundoran area but I wouldn't have a clue of the etiquette for old timers just taking up the sport.

Enniscrone in sligo is good place to start, you should be able to rent boards and suits there, look up seventh wave surf school. I'd say you'd need a lesson from them first, how are they to know you've had lessons and aren't telling porkies.

But if you've had lessons then buy a board and suit so you can go when and where you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Yeah Ger Byrne is the man to contact but you've already had lessons so I would suggest you get some gear and as the other poster said just go when you like. You have Achill, and Belmullet that are beginners beaches also.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

Thanks for the replies. Just need to buy a board and roof rack so. I'll have to start saving. So ennischrone, belmullet and achill are beginner friendly. Thanks. Will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 premiercounty

keryl wrote: »
    Yeah Ger Byrne is the man to contact but you've already had lessons so I would suggest you get some gear and as the other poster said just go when you like. You have Achill, and Belmullet that are beginners beaches also.

Whereabouts is that beginners beach in Belmullet keryl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

kerinsp wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Just need to buy a board and roof rack so. I'll have to start saving. So ennischrone, belmullet and achill are beginner friendly. Thanks. Will check them out.

Where are you based? There are plenty of beginner locations on the west coast, so it depends on your location to see which is the most suitable and closest to you.

Do you have any friends joining you? It can be a bit daunting starting out on your own and always best for beginners to go in small groups for safety reasons.

As the above posters said Bundoran, Achill, Ennischrone etc. are good for beginners, however looking at the swell for this weekend the waves are going to be big enough on the west coast. lahinch also has plenty of surf schools and shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Well to a degree, Elly.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭kerinsp

I live in Meath. Bummer. My work takes me to Donegal and Mayo sometimes. Might just stick to the beach I know for another few goes. Don't want to spend a small fortune on a board if it doesn't work out. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

i'd say get a few more lessons from a good school, I started in march, only feel ready now to go surfing by myself, would have been a waste of time before this as I didnt know enough

Advertisement