Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-Doctor Story

• 29-06-2010 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Rumours have been circulating (more like hopes than rumours, actually) on Facebook that a multi-Doctor episode/movie is being discussed to celebrate the Doctor's 50th Anniversary in 2013.

While I'll believe it when I see it, it is always fun to pose hypotheticals. So...

If a multi-Doctor story was to be developed, which Doctors should be involved (and how many), who should write/direct, what should the story be and why all of the above?

Comments

I heard this too, and I heard every doctor, (that's alive) will be included. That would be frickin mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

There's also the idea that the Xmas special will be a homage to A Christmas Carol. With the Doctor being visited by 3 previous Doctors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

There's also the idea that the Xmas special will be a homage to A Christmas Carol. With the Doctor being visited by 3 previous Doctors.

That would be awesome!!! Which 3 would Doctors would you have visit Smith's Doctor? I'd choose Tennant, Davison and McCoy... I'd rather see Tom Baker or Eccelstone over McCoy, but I don't think either would agree to do it... I could be wrong though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

McCoy as Christmas past
    Tennant as Christmas present
    Bill Nighy as Christmas future ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Hedman

I'd love to see Paul McGann involved and maybe at some point show his regeneration into Eccleston during it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Tennant as Christmas present

It's been done.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

By the way lads this idea circulates every year and every year I get a slagging as I am always the one asking "any reliable source say anything about this?" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Stark wrote: »
    It's been done.

Ah pfft :rolleyes: ok revised with Tennant coming back as the Dr for a once off:
    McCoy as Christmas Past
    Smith as Christmas Present
    Nighy as Christmas Future
    and Tate as Marleys Ghost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'd doubt any validity to this simply because Moffat expressed a distaste for multi-Doctor stories in the run-up interviews for the previous season (despite writing Time Crash, I know).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Multi doctor stories have never really been terribly good in the past anyway.

• Advertisement

Multi doctor stories have never really been terribly good in the past anyway.

Pfft. The two doctors is EPIC. Cannibal scotsmen ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Found the quote, and it seems I didn't quite recall it correctly.
    SFX: Russell T Davies told us he thought he could never make a multi-Doctor story work, but that Steven Moffat could. Do you think you could?

“I can absolutely do eight minutes! And I think anyone can make eight minutes work, including Russell. I saw that quote and it’s rubbish. Of course he could have written that. It’s not that hard. I think to make a story that’s interesting, in a timey-wimey way, the star of the story would not be all of the Doctors getting together to fight a great big menace. That’s nonsense – it’s just the same man, several times over. Why would he need other versions of himself? That’s not relevant. But to have him encounter the same events at several different points in his own life would be interesting. It is odd because they’re not quite the same personality. I’m absolutely not against it, but I’ve never personally thought of a story that would justify it completely for me. I think Russell’s made this point already, but he’s absolutely right – those stories are nobody’s favourites. Everyone looks forward to them more than they look back on them.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Banjo Fella

I keep reading this as "multi-storey Doctor", and I'm imagining Matt Smith wearing long trousers over stilts. Something is wrong with my brain. :pac:

Towering over Victorian London. MOST EPIC SPECIAL EVER.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I would like McGann's doctor to get another crack of the whip/closure..but we shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Towering over Victorian London. MOST EPIC SPECIAL EVER.

scrubs4-17.jpg

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I would like McGann's doctor to get another crack of the whip/closure..but we shall see.

Moffat writing a McGann story would be pretty win all right. I think he had (and apparently has proved in audio) to have a great Doctor in him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 dancingmonkey08

Now normally I hate reunion shows such as the multi-Doctor stories but to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary, it would be an awesome idea. It would be best to have it at Christmas so it isn’t part of a running story arc in a season plus it would make such a good Christmas present.

So, my idea is, it’s Christmas 2013 and instead of the usual Christmas story, we get a multi-Doctor story instead written by Moffat. I know it would be broadcast a month after the actual fiftieth anniversary of the show but I don’t see the BBC forking out extra money just to make an extra Doctor Who episode and I really don’t want them to take away the Christmas special for one year because it is one of the things I look forward to every Christmas Day. So, the Series 8/34 finale could end with the Eleventh Doctor leaving Earth/random planet with his companions (hopefully Jenny and River Song, I love Amy and Rory but I can only see them lasting until 2012 at the latest), when suddenly he gets a phone call from, surprise, the Fourth Doctor! The Eleventh Doctor recognises his voice straightaway and knows this is trouble if an earlier incarnation is calling him. The Fourth Doctor tells him that the Doctor’s entire time-stream is in trouble and if his different incarnations don’t come together, the Doctor will cease to exist and the entire universe will be in danger. The episode ends with the Eleventh Doctor in shock and the Christmas special continues the story.

The Eleventh Doctor lands his TARDIS at co-ordinates sent by the Fourth Doctor. The Doctor and his companions step out of the TARDIS and one of them asks what they are here for? The Doctor answers that they are about to find out and right in front of them, six almost identical TARDISes in the shape of police boxes appear. The Eleventh Doctor says here we go; this isn’t going to be fun. All the doors open and out come the Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, Eighth, Ninth and the Tenth Doctors. The Doctors all come together and have a conversation with each other, each of them making fun of each other’s appearance and personalities (and of course the Fourth to the Seventh Doctor’s aged appearance is easily explained by Moffat’s rule from Time Crash,” the multiple Doctors together in one place shorted out the time differential”).

The Fourth Doctor takes charge of the group and says he has contacted each of his future incarnations to warn them about a mysterious enemy who is using its great knowledge of time travel to pluck the First, Second, Third, Twelfth & Thirteenth Doctors out of time (explaining away Hartnell, Troughton & Pertwee’s absence and also explaining why the Twelfth and Thirteenth Doctors haven’t been called in to help with the situation, obviously because they haven’t been cast yet). The Fourth Doctor warns them that they are all in danger of being plucked out of time because whoever the enemy is, is trying to wipe the Doctor out completely (if any of the Doctors are killed, the remaining Doctors would just become anomalies so the enemy is trying to wipe out all the Doctors at once to permanently kill him). It would also technically mean the universe would technically be rebooted because the Doctor has influenced the history of the universe and he was the one who also mostly influenced the destinies of the Time Lords and the Daleks. All the Doctors must join together to rescue the five captured Doctors and stop their whole lives from being wiped out.

And unlike the Five Doctors and the Two Doctors, there should be no previous companions. The different Doctors should just be plucked out of time when they are without companions:

First Doctor from the brief point where Steven ran out on him and he had no companions
    Second from during Season 6B
    Third from right after Jo left
    Fourth from right after Leela stayed on Gallifrey
    Fifth from somewhere random because I don’t know where he could come from, he always had companions
    Sixth from right after his trial
    Seventh from before the events of the TV movie
    Eighth Doctor from just before the time war
    Ninth from just after the Time War and before Rose
    Tenth from in between The Next Doctor and Planet of the Dead
    Eleventh would be the current Doctor.

It would also make sense to the story, that each Doctor would be emotionally vulnerable after losing a companion and as they are on their own, there is no-one else to get in the way. Also, I think with eight Doctors and the Eleventh Doctor’s couple of companions, I think we would have enough actors in one episode plus I don’t think the time differential explanation would work for the companions increase in age.

Who could be the enemy, though? Maybe Davros wanting revenge as his Daleks have completely abandoned him thanks to the Doctor or maybe the Meddling Monk or the Rani, if they were brought back in an earlier season and this is their attempt to get revenge on the Doctor for events in Series 7 or something

Let's really hope they don't do a multi doctor story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭DualBladez

Let's really hope they don't do a multi doctor story.

yeah, that would be terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Hedman wrote: »
    I'd love to see Paul McGann involved and maybe at some point show his regeneration into Eccleston during it.

This is really the missing link which should be addressed before both need a wheelchair. So I also hope this is coming up (soon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Pittens

the problem with multi-doctor stories for me is that the latest doctor will know what to do and what happened, as will all of them besides the youngest doctor. So unless massive amounts of time wimey is going on ( within the Doctors timestream which should be linear) I cant see this working.

Moffats short story ( Time Crash?) was perfect on that point. 10 knew what to do because he had already done it. 8 minutes is enough in that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Moffat writing a McGann story would be pretty win all right. I think he had (and apparently has proved in audio) to have a great Doctor in him.

still has actually, big finish have loads of 8. well worth checking out. was thinking of doing something on this line thread wise to get us to christmass.

as for multi-doctor stories.....

the three doctors works because it was the first time. the five doctors is a mixed bag but good fun, the two doctors needs more second doctor in it but still the scene where he becomes an andrigum (sp....) is fun.

i think we should avoid
    dimensions in time
    and in fact if I was still your glorious moderator I would ban myself for mentioning it, even in a spoiler. That said Moffats ones are pretty much excellent.

DT has said he will do one, Tom Baker is now back in harness - Audiowise anyway, and there have been Audio Multi Doctor Stories too.

I think it would be a bad idea to be honest, right now. Has anyone seen what Syl McCoy looks like these days?? Not to Mention Colin Baker. Sorry it sounds shallow but even the moff could not explain that away.

No, leave them where they are, in our imagination, where their adventures will always be wonderful and they will always look like they always did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

There was meant to be multi-Doctor story for the Children in Need special last year with all ten Doctors (they were planning to use previously recorded footage of the dead ones apparently). It was reported on yahoo and the amount of information they had made it seem pretty legitimate. It got cancelled though and they opted for the clip form the Christmas special instead. Was a pity, a full episode with all ten Doctors probably wouldn't have been great but ten minutes or so would have been pretty interesting I think.

I like the Christmas Carol idea and I would like to see Tennant again. I think if Moffat ever writes a multi-Doctor story it would be something along those lines. I can see a Christmas special written by him being a bit more unique whatever is.

There was meant to be multi-Doctor story for the Children in Need special last year with all ten Doctors (they were planning to use previously recorded footage of the dead ones apparently). It was reported on yahoo and the amount of information they had made it seem pretty legitimate. It got cancelled though and they opted for the clip form the Christmas special instead. Was a pity, a full episode with all ten Doctors probably wouldn't have been great but ten minutes or so would have been pretty interesting I think.

I like the Christmas Carol idea and I would like to see Tennant again. I think if Moffat ever writes a multi-Doctor story it would be something along those lines. I can see a Christmas special written by him being a bit more unique whatever is.

See the thread about Smith leaving as the Doctor.

Nothing said about Doctor Who is true unless the BBC say it is. Making stuff up sells papers/ generates hits.

Advertisement