Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XBOX FELL OVER.. WHAT TO DO?

• 29-06-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

xbox just fell over with fifa 10 in it i feel like crying game has a giant ring around it

anyway to get it fixed or do i bin it and get a new 1?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jesus will people learn a lesson already - NEVER STAND A CONSOLE UP ITS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

some shops offer a service to fix games like this think gamestop do it!!

seriously though lie your xbox down ridiculous standing them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Not sure about getting it fixed, I know Gamestop do a disc repair service, but I'm not sure if that's only for scratches, not sure if it works on disc burn.

For future reference you should never position your Xbox so it's standing upright. For one it's covering one of the vents so there's more of a chance of the Xbox overheating and RROD and the other reason is as you've unfortunately found out, it can topple over.

I'd bring the disc in to Gamestop and see what they can do with it. Think it's about a fiver or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

but1er wrote: »
    xbox just fell over with fifa 10 in it i feel like crying game has a giant ring around it

anyway to get it fixed or do i bin it and get a new 1?

just sell it on adverts.ie :D

jesus will people learn a lesson already - NEVER STAND A CONSOLE UP ITS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In fairness in every single ad for the Xbox they show the console standing vertically, so it's an easy mistake to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

bring it back to the shop and ask them if they can skim it, most shops offer this service and its only a fiver!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Rent / Borrow FIFA 10, Install to Hard Drive, use your own disc in console to play - it should work...just needs disc present for verification but doesn't read anything.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

thanks guys xbox on the side CHECK
    ring gamestop 2moro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Rent / Borrow FIFA 10, Install to Hard Drive, use your own disc in console to play - it should work...just needs disc present for verification but doesn't read anything.

This works great.

center15 wrote: »
    This works great.

wish i had 6 quid to rent it :(:(

very broke

This works great.

very broke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

some companies will replace the disc for a fee, If i recall mass effect 2 had this in the manual if you damaged the dvds they would replace for a 10er.

Better a new disc than giving gamestop any money if you ask me ;)

This works great.

very broke

mate coming around 2moro with fifa 10 :) fingers cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

First off, the xbox 360 is designed to be orientated either vertically or horizontally, it isn't a "mistake" to have your console standing up. As long as it's on a solid surface and out of the way then you'll have nothing to fear by having it vertically. The issue is when you move the console while the disc is spinning, that's a problem.

If the disc is so badly damaged that the console doesn't recognise it as an xbox 360 game then the Rent->Install to NXE->Use broken CD won't work, the CD needs to be detectable as the 360 game.

Disc repair services offered by Peats (I think) or Gamestop will remove a thin layer of plastic; CDs are thicker than they need to be so you can afford to skim a layer or two off with no hassle. Alternatively you can try the toothpaste method - toothpaste is an abrasive so when it's applied to the scratch ring/area around the scratch ring and rubbed it it will thin out the plastic surrounding the scratch so the laser will gradually go into the scratch rather than this big jump from full thickness to MEGA-SCRATCH all of a sudden. It worked on Tiger Woods '09 for me when I moved the console like an idiot, it didn't work on my friends Smackdown disc though.

First off, the xbox 360 is designed to be orientated either vertically or horizontally, it isn't a "mistake" to have your console standing up. As long as it's on a solid surface and out of the way then you'll have nothing to fear by having it vertically. The issue is when you move the console while the disc is spinning, that's a problem.

If the disc is so badly damaged that the console doesn't recognise it as an xbox 360 game then the Rent->Install to NXE->Use broken CD won't work, the CD needs to be detectable as the 360 game.

It's badly designed though. Having it vertical caused it to topple over. As I mentioned it covers the bottom vent, which can lead to over-heating and the good ol' RROD. Yes you can stand it upright, but it's inadvisable to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Having a console vertically doesn't cause it to fall over, I've got two consoles here, both vertical and none have a case of fall over. Now if I give them a good old kicck or put them on an uneven surface, attach a wireled controller and pull at it via the cable then it'll fall over. If you want it to be as rugged as a flat console then it'd be almost a foot thick as well as a foot tall. It's about as badly designed as a PS3 or a Wii to be honest, both of which are also prone to falling over, but not randomly falling over. Something was done to make the console fall over, it didn't happen by itself.

I'm also pretty sure your claim that it causes the console to run hotter is rubbish too. I've got a JTAGed console running Freestyle Dash that shows the temps of the RAM, GPU, CPU and motherboard. Lying a console flat makes absolutely no difference to any of these temperatures.

Having a console vertically doesn't cause it to fall over, I've got two consoles here, both vertical and none have a case of fall over. Now if I give them a good old kicck or put them on an uneven surface, attach a wireled controller and pull at it via the cable then it'll fall over.

I'm also pretty sure your claim that it causes the console to run hotter is rubbish too. I've got a JTAGed console running Freestyle Dash that shows the temps of the RAM, GPU, CPU and motherboard. Lying a console flat makes absolutely no difference to any of these temperatures.

Yes but that's what I'm saying, it's much safer to lay it flat as then there is NO chance of it falling over not just a SLIM chance.

There's lots of anecdotal evidence of 360s getting hotter from standing vertically, so I'm terribly sorry if I mistakenly thought that meant there's a chance it could actually be true. I'm keeping mine flat anyway purely because of the fact that it could topple over. If someone wants to keep their console vertical, fair enough, doesn't make a difference to me, just saying that's it's advisable to keep it flat or something like what happened to the OP could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Alternatively you can try the toothpaste method - toothpaste is an abrasive so when it's applied to the scratch ring/area around the scratch ring and rubbed it it will thin out the plastic surrounding the scratch so the laser will gradually go into the scratch rather than this big jump from full thickness to MEGA-SCRATCH all of a sudden. It worked on Tiger Woods '09 for me when I moved the console like an idiot, it didn't work on my friends Smackdown disc though.

Cant remember ever seeing this here but i always use Brasso (to make copper shiny) to polish scratched cd's/dvd's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You have a few options toothpaste rubbed in to the scratch can fix it some times. Second option is to take it to a game shop most do a disk repair for 3-5 euro. EA will replace any disk for 10euro if you contact them.

But first option try the install with your friends disk worked for my mass effect.

I would also lay it down from now on the xbox cant fall up !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

can't see too many people keeping their games receipts for any length of time really. Nice solution for those who do though.

Has the install from a friends copy worked for you OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I got one of these JML Disc Clinic scratch remover sets as a stocking filler a while back. Always felt a bit dodgy of those things so never used it (or really needed to tbh) until I got a scratched to fúck preowned HDDVD for €1.99 from gamestop that was unwatchable as a result. For the sake of 1.99 i figured it wasn't worth returning so gave it a shot and it worked a charm!

Don't forget to curse and swear at both the 360 and the disc before threatening to throw them both out the window. It's an important first step in disc repair.

10% done the nervs are unreal please work :P

give ye a final update wen its done

FIFA 10 IS BACK O YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

jesus will people learn a lesson already - NEVER STAND A CONSOLE UP ITS A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

lmao you sound like angry dad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Lads, this is where legit backups come in..

But seriously (nah I was serious) stick the receipts into the game cover, behind the manual, then you'll always have it!

When the game's installed to HDD, it only verifies it's a genuine copy, as all games installed will do, whereas on Jtag you can unlock to G(ame)O(n)D(emand) and needs no disk in it (like demo/arcade games). You should be fine if you can borrow it for an install to get all the data that was lost installed and use yours where it's fine and will read alright.

With those abrasive repairs, you can only do it so many times! The Dual layer disks aren't as thick before it gets to being data that's damaged (as opposed to some CD's being real thick and is only a single layer).

Oh yeh, and if I lay mine down it's on carpet (on a stand atm) and I'll smack it with my bedroom door all the time - doesn't really work! I'll just try not act like that idiot with the 360S launch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

stand mine up with naer a bother

3 xboxes, 3 ps3s, never so much as a scratch on any of my games (over 400 id say at this stage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Helix wrote: »
    stand mine up with naer a bother

3 xboxes, 3 ps3s, never so much as a scratch on any of my games (over 400 id say at this stage)

an angry slap of a hoover will scratch/burn the disk if its standing up or even lying down,
    witnessed it happening to pgr4 when the console was lying flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

EA will replace any disk for 10euro if you contact them.

Can't believe this, never knew about it.
    Raging now cause I forked out for new FIFA about 2 months ago when same thing happened my copy grrrr :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

garv123 wrote: »
    an angry slap of a hoover will scratch/burn the disk if its standing up or even lying down,
    witnessed it happening to pgr4 when the console was lying flat.

only if the console is on and its spinning the disc surely?

Advertisement