Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryanair and bike boxes

• 29-06-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know if they have started weighing them? Am 2kg over.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Depends who you get to check you in. If you are worried, take stuff out, get weighed, then stick it back in out of sight before you go to over sized luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

They do indeed. I got stung for €60 in February going to spain. 3kgs over.:mad:

What Caroline.ie found with the scales the day we flew out was to stick the box to the rear of the scales and you'd magically lose a few kg's off the total weight. The scales used weren't at the check-in desk but against the wall near the x-ray machine for large items.
    Before checking in go over and weigh the box on each of the scales and see if one of the scales is still giving a more favourable reading with the box to the back of the scale platform.

The check-in lady wouldn't let me use the dodgy scales and had to pay up big time.

Raam wrote: »
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Depends who you get to check you in. If you are worried, take stuff out, get weighed, then stick it back in out of sight before you go to over sized luggage.

Did you not get weighed in Dublin for Spain?

Did you not get weighed in Dublin for Spain?

Yeah, but we didn't on the way back. And after you spent an hour getting that crankset off!

Yeah, but we didn't on the way back. And after you spent an hour getting that crankset off!

And I was chuffed cutting the weight to the limit... the bastards.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bike is 9kg, box is 12kg, buggery

seat post, saddle, pedals, tubes and tyres... wear them on to the plane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

tunney wrote: »

Might be cheaper rent a box from wheelworx, they use the polaris bike pod and is about 7kg odd, I've used them a couple of times and they are good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

alfalad wrote: »
    Might be cheaper rent a box from wheelworx, they use the polaris bike pod and is about 7kg odd, I've used them a couple of times and they are good!

Pah, the obvious solution is to get the bike down to 6.8kg.

Where's the commitment Tunney?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

sorry for dragging up an old post, but I just checked the ryanair website and the weight limit for a bicycle is 30kg and not 20kg.

heres the link I'm flying to Spain on saturday so i'm printing this page and bringing it with me. Might save a bit of aggro (and money) at the airport.

• Advertisement

I think that's a maximum limit. I reckon if it's over 20kg, you are still paying extra.

Where you headed?

I think that's a maximum limit. I reckon if it's over 20kg, you are still paying extra.

No I understand it to mean if i have sports equipment (e.g. anything other than a bike) that weighs over 20kg, I'll have to pay extra. But if i have a bike, the limit is 30kg.

I'm flying out on saturday, so we'll see.:)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    No I understand it to mean if i have sports equipment (e.g. anything other than a bike) that weighs over 20kg, I'll have to pay extra. But if i have a bike, the limit is 30kg.

I'm flying out on saturday, so we'll see.:)

I'm happy for you to be right cos I am flying out to Spain next week also with the bike :)

Where you headed?

heading to Nerja, which is near Malaga. was there last year and really enjoyed it. You'd love it! the hills over there make Howth seem pretty small here's one of the better routes i did last year

heading to Nerja, which is near Malaga. was there last year and really enjoyed it. You'd love it! the hills over there make Howth seem pretty small here's one of the better routes i did last year

I'm flying into Malaga but heading east instead to the Sierra Nevadas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I can see that being interpreted either way and I wouldn't fancy arguing the toss with a stony-faced ex-soviets on the check-in desk. I'd be inclined to read it 07Lapierre's way, but let us know how you get on, ok? I'd love to be allowed a few extra kg there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That would appear to be a change. Previously they had in capitals something along the lines that the 20kg also applied to bikes. It was unambiguous. The bikes must be packed is a new thing also though, wonder if they are going to enforce that. Probably not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Anybody have any experience with Aer Arann and bike bags?

I'll watch out for you at the airport! I'll be the guy with the BIG bike box argueing with the Ryanair rep. when you flying out? saturday morning?

• Advertisement

Nope, not flying on Sat.

This is the text from the website...
    Sporting equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to cellos, harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20* kilos per item upon payment of an additional discounted fee per item, per one way flight if booked online. If the item is not booked until arrival at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre the full fee will apply (Click here for rate details). Any item of sports equipment weighing over 20 kilos will be charged for the excess weight at the applicable rate per kilo. *Bikes have an weight limit of 30 kilos

niceonetom wrote: »
    I can see that being interpreted either way and I wouldn't fancy arguing the toss with a stony-faced ex-soviets on the check-in desk. I'd be inclined to read it 07Lapierre's way, but let us know how you get on, ok? I'd love to be allowed a few extra kg there.

I've printed the page off the website and I'll bring it with me on saturday. I love an argument in the morning! :D

Enjoy...we can compare notes when we're back, i.e. who had to pay extra baggage charges!

Anybody have any experience with Aer Arann and bike bags?
    Nope sorry...are their planes big enough to take bikes? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

They didnt weigh us going to Nice, both boxes where over one was 35kg haha no joke ! he had everything in it

Nope sorry...are their planes big enough to take bikes? :D

:) They are indeed, watched Mr P Deignan himself bring one on a flight before. In a very nice Cervélo bag I might add.

:) They are indeed, watched Mr P Deignan himself bring one on a flight before. In a very nice Cervélo bag I might add.

He probably had it on the seat next to him on the plane!

He probably had it on the seat next to him on the plane!

Nope, I definitely saw them plonk it on the 4x4 and drive it the 100 yards to the plane. He was able to keep an eye on it the whole time ;)

Nope, I definitely saw them plonk it on the 4x4 and drive it the 100 yards to the plane. He was able to keep an eye on it the whole time ;)

found this on the aer arran website. scroll down to the bottom. the Bike policy seems pretty vague. €30 if booked in advance or €40 at the check-in desk. no mention of weight

• Advertisement

found this on the aer arran website. scroll down to the bottom. the Bike policy seems pretty vague. €30 if booked in advance or €40 at the check-in desk. no mention of weight

Ah, saw that, but like you said no weight mentioned, so just rang them, they have no weight restrictions.

sorry for dragging up an old post, but I just checked the ryanair website and the weight limit for a bicycle is 30kg and not 20kg.

heres the link I'm flying to Spain on saturday so i'm printing this page and bringing it with me. Might save a bit of aggro (and money) at the airport.

I wouldd have read that as 20kg is what you get for money. 30kg is the upper limit and after than they just won't take it.

I wouldd have read that as 20kg is what you get for money. 30kg is the upper limit and after than they just won't take it.

I think you may actually be right.

Call me old fashioned, but if bikes over 30kg are not carried, should it not say " *Bikes over 20kg will be charged X per kg up to 30kg. Bikes over 30kg are not permitted/carried" ??

p.s. if i had a bike that weighed 30kg, i wouldn't take it either! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I think you may actually be right.

You might be wrong. The table of fees page details
    Sports Equipment* Fee charged per Item/ Per One Way Flight A maximum weight of 20kg per item
    Bikes 30kg per item

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/table-of-fees

penexpers wrote: »
    You might be wrong. The table of fees page details

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/questions/table-of-fees

that seems pretty clear to me. 30kg it is. i guess the track pump is coming after all! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I'm shocked. What's next? Free coffee? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Peterx

G'wan the shock horror indeed;
    for bikes Ryanair are better then Aer Lingus;

Aer Fungus allow a max of 6 per plane
    You cannot book bikes online, you must phone their helpdesk
    Aer Lingus are €40 per sector

happy holidays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ha ha! All you Ryanair haterz sux my...etc.

I think I might join LCRC just to bring my kit into line with The Greatest Airline On Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Peterx wrote: »
    Aer Lingus are €40 per sector

happy holidays!

:eek:WHAT???? My plans for a cycling trip in Austria are rapidly going downhill, figuratively speaking. At this rate it may well be cheaper to stick the bike on the car and drive over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Murph100

Hah, you'll choke on those words yet .... he'll screw you one way or the other ... its only a matter of time :)

Lumen wrote: »
    Ha ha! All you Ryanair haterz sux my...etc.

I think I might join LCRC just to bring my kit into line with The Greatest Airline On Earth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement