Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lourdes Hospital truth

Options
  • 29-06-2010 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I work in Our lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda and I think people should know what its like to work there. This hospital is called the ditiriest hospital in the country but the staff who work there do there best in victorian conditions.The management in this hospital dont give a dam about there staff, to them we're just a means to an end so they can climb the corporate HSE ladder while they operate there scams to cream money from the public, we're treated like cattle.
    The new A&E Department recently opened but it wont change anything because the staffing levels are still the same so waiting times will still be hours. They want staff to cover this new building for probably 24 hours a day, well thats ok but they won't hire extra staff instead they'll want the existing staff to stretch and do longer shifts. When I say they'll want thats not quite accurate, staff will be TOLD take it or leave it by a HSE fixer despite the fact that many have contracts, these will be just torn up and well be told this is the Croke Park Agreement. Is this true? MAny people have been there for 20 years or more and work 8 hours a day and do a 39 hour week but now we're being told that the Croke PArk Agreement gives management the right to do whatever they want with rostas, they dont have to discuss it with us.
    The shop stewards from our union Unite were in talks with management but these talks broke down and every shop steward resigned at the weekend so now we have no representation, we still pay our union dues but I don't see why we should. We have to go into a meeting tomorrow with the HSE if we refuse we'll be punnished by management theyll get us back but if we do go in to the meeting we have no union represention and the HSE will be able to do whatever they want.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sounds like the crap is about to hit the fan then there (yet again!).
    Why does this not surprise me under the present leadership of the HSE and Harney!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I have major issues with the HSE and Unions at the moment, a union should be there to serve YOU not the other way around, which is how it seems these days, but that is another argument.

Feel for you OP this combined with the changes in dundalk hospital today are an outrage, not only are you stretched with the new a+e in drogheda but you now you will have extra traffic from dundalk. If i was in dundalk i would be hoping I didn't need an a+e in a hurry :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Definitely poor judgement by those resigning as shop stewards although they might have had personal reasons.
    By doing to, they played right into the hands of the HSE bullies and gave them even more leeway to do what they wanted and impose further hardships upon the overstretched workers already.

Whats Unites motto? "When the going gets tough, we cut and run and leave you unrepresented no matter how much you have paid us in fees!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

@OP, Its very to hard to read with the wrong spellings of the words there and well

To help others can you fix the "there" to "their" and the "well" to "we will" ??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The Lourdes is hardly "Victorian". The place is filthy because cleaners and nursing staff aren't doing their jobs to the same standard they used to back in the days when they had matrons cracking the whip.

I have a friend who works in the Lourdes and he has told me the same...the cleaners just aren't up to the job of cleaning in a medical environment.

I wonder how long it'll take for the new €11m A&E to fall down to the same standards seen in the rest of the hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

In a previous job 6 odd years ago, I used to go around to all the acute hospitals in the country and OLOL Drogheda was the filthiest bar none. (Blood spots on walls etc)

It was well known in OLOL that 90% the staff couldn't give 2 sh1tes about the place. Unfortunately with the managements poor selfish attitude this was reflected the whole way down the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

OP, the Health Information & Quality Authority have a page on their website about HSE employees making protected disclosures (see here). Is there anything there that may be useful to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

calex71 wrote: »
    I have major issues with the HSE and Unions at the moment, a union should be there to serve YOU not the other way around, which is how it seems these days, but that is another argument.

Had to laugh at just that the other week, the union rep was round with ballot papers for the girls in my office, her words were its a ****ty deal but its the best we can get! I literally laughed when she said it. Incredible that people can't see the futility of their union. They had relevance 100 years ago.

Back on topic, its terrible to see how the OLOL is going, I have no doubt there are good people there doing their best but they have been led down bigtime. I was in the A&E in LCH today, there was 1 guy sitting there, others are being send on up the road as their ailment isn't allowed to be treated in LCH. No lenght until there is a massive accident. However HSE will quote best international practice ad nauseum. Nauseous more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Sounds like the OP has her own agenda. I'm not convinced. Slightly one-sided to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Good Shopping, and a Bloody Good Hospital,NEWRY has it all.
    My dying whisper might be-"get me to Daisy fcuking hil.........."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Wouldn't be too shocked if this new poster with a new join date was a fairly new dundalk council member who seems to be the most active shouter about the dundalk hospital on facebook.

Advertisement