Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress code at shooting range

Options
  • 29-06-2010 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I have just read trough the regulations at some gun ranges and some say
    Military and Combat style uniforms are not allowed?
    So where goes the limit?
    I have some olive green combats and a black hunting vest that i always shoot in,or go hunting with.
    Are these allowed.I have seen and old thread about it,but it didnt come to an conclusion.
    And i dont want to be kicked out of the range the first time i meet up there.
    What are your thoughts about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

I'd ring them and ask and if your embarrassed use my name.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Why not just call the range up and ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Sparks wrote: »
    Why not just call the range up and ask?

Yeah probably the best way.I am going up to the range at the weekend.
    I think ill stick to "civilian"clothes the first time lolicon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

So where goes the limit?
    I have some olive green combats and a black hunting vest that i always shoot in,or go hunting with.
    Are these allowed.I have seen and old thread about it,but it didnt come to an conclusion.

???? Why would anyone want to dress up as a soldier to go to a gun range?? How namy racegoers do you see at the Curragh/Leopardstown/wherever dressed in tight white trousers and stripey shirts? How many people do you see at Mondello in racing overalls??
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    P

???? Why would anyone want to dress up as a soldier to go to a gun range?? How namy racegoers do you see at the Curragh/Leopardstown/wherever dressed in tight white trousers and stripey shirts? How many people do you see at Mondello in racing overalls??
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    P

Its a difference between dressing as a soldier and a hunter/shooter.I was not planning on mobilising for war,i am only going shooting.icon7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I've heard that this refers to camouflage like DPM etc. rather than flat colours. I doubt anyone would have a problem with a pair of olive combats; plenty of lads wear them in day to day life.
    I'd still give them a ring though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

???? Why would anyone want to dress up as a soldier to go to a gun range??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    P

YOUD BE SO SUPRISED !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

So where goes the limit?

Real tree or mossy Oak is permitted.

Military DPM is not, nor is Irish Army Issue unless serving members of DF in an official capacity.

Just don't turn up looking lik erambo no issue.

We all wear combats from time to time.

It's more a PR thing as the ranges often are inspected by the boys in blue so we do not want to look like GI Joe's ;)

The actual rules will vary from range to range Tackleberry, so it's still best for the OP to call ahead.

The actual rules will vary from range to range Tackleberry, so it's still best for the OP to call ahead.

If he is referring to MNSCI thats the rules, My bad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

I know that In Hilltop nobody is allowed onto the ranges wearing 'camo' but there is no problem with wearing all green or any other colour

I've seen peopleon the range in a business suit.

as Sparks said everywhere will vary with 'house rules' on different topics so wherever you are going - just ask

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Its a difference between dressing as a soldier and a hunter/shooter.I was not planning on mobilising for war,i am only going shooting.icon7.gif

Well said Norwayviking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Look here!
    If your going practice for a hunt then you should wear the clothes that you going to be hunting in. You need to know which pockets you alway keep certain items in and be able to operate in complete darkness. Its a standard practice if you want to be efficient in the field. No point learning when something goes wrong while hunting because either your gear or your system failed you.:mad:

I suppose this ridiculous strategy has something to do with the ban on practical shooting, perhaps with pistols. I can't fathom it because it flies in the face of convention wisdom with regard to hunting efficiency and well established methods of training. I could understand if camo was not allowed for those involved in pistol shooting (as its not for hunting) or even if camo supply was restricted to the general public but this policy stinks to high heaven.

You ought to inform them as to the error in their policy and how its effecting you ability to train.

Having a reliable firearm is only one aspect to a successful hunt and this range seems to only want to cater for target shooting as opposed to allowing hunters train for the big event..

Its ridiculous and you need to draw their attention to the facts.:mad:

You ought to inform them as to the error in their policy and how its effecting you ability to train.

Having a reliable firearm is only one aspect to a successful hunt and this range seems to only want to cater for target shooting as opposed to allowing hunters train for the big event..

Its ridiculous and you need to draw their attention to the facts.:mad:

So, you're saying that a range shouldn't be allowed to have range rules?
    And that someone looking to use that range should demand that any rules they dislike be just discarded for them?
    Whatever the merits of training for hunting in camo, unless you own the range, you have to abide by the range rules. That's basic ettiquette.

Ranges are used Hunters and non hunters alike
    Families are brought there etc.

Unfortunately the Tabloid Rags love taking pics of folk in DPM to show us as EVIL

Hence the Rule, I always wear combats, Tesco sell them €23 a pair, no problems wearing them as they are non military.

Many years ago i say a dude arrive in full Uniform of a countries army.

Needless to say it was because of fellas like him the rule had to be enforced.

When going to the range you have to be conscious of people beside you.

Some members of ranges are pure target types and find Dpm offensive.

As I said, it's PR.

Real tree Mossy oak etc are fine. Just not folks who try to emulate movie stars

And that someone looking to use that range should demand that any rules they dislike be just discarded for them?
    Whatever the merits of training for hunting in camo, unless you own the range, you have to abide by the range rules. That's basic ettiquette.

Did i say any of those things??????????? NO.. Trying to twist my post???!!!

Did i say any of those things??????????? NO.. Trying to twist my post???!!!
    Actually, that's precisely what you said. You told the OP to call up the range and berate them over their rules.
    Unless the OP outright owns the range, that's just plain rude. Not to mention wrong-headed; the range is providing a service. If you don't like it that much, go elsewhere or start your own range. This isn't a public utility like the ESB that we're talking about here, it's a private business or a private club.

Ranges are used Hunters and non hunters alike
    Families are brought there etc.

As I said, it's PR.

Real tree Mossy oak etc are fine. Just not folks who try to emulate movie stars

I hear ye and i know your kinda right but its this same mentality that has us in a quandary as to the appearance of firearms and Oh that looks dangerous.

I'm not going be told by anyone what i can and can't wear and if some club has these policies and i don't like'em and i can't change'em them i'm off out the door.
    Its simple- this is effecting the training of serious hunters and if families are there then they should know what to expect! 4 feck sake we're not talking about ice-creams at the beach we are talking about a training ground for the discharge of live ammunition where the intent is to practice so as to eliminate any unforeseen with reason.. I can learn to get the best from my rifles but i must also be completely efficient with the rest of my kit.

I hear ye and i know your kinda right but its this same mentality that has us in a quandary as to the appearance of firearms and Oh that looks dangerous.

I'm not going be told by anyone what i can and can't wear and if some club has these policies and i don't like'em and i can't change'em them i'm off out the door.
    Its simple- this is effecting the training of serious hunters and if families are there then they should know what to expect! 4 feck sake we're not talking about ice-creams at the beach we are talking about a training ground for the discharge of live ammunition where the intent is to practice so as to eliminate any unforeseen with reason.. I can learn to get the best from my rifles but i must also be completely efficient with the rest of my kit.

I feel your pain, I am far more comfortable, and get better shots in the field as a result.

On a range I can not relax as i am always watching protocol and trying not to break it.

This is unfortunately a sad truth.

I don't wear my shooting jacket to the range, but I always keep it in the wagon.

Ranges are not truely for hunters, but a lot of hunters use them.
    We just have to work around this things.
    Real tree and Mossy oak are very affordable these days and very available so perhaps just a chage of jacket is required.

Failing that, on most ranges most of the shooting is done from a bench with a cup of coffee, we don't have them in the field either ;)

It's not perfect, but we do our best.
    Ireland is a very Conservative country when it comes to shooting, the troubles also was a factor in making Military clothing not best practice.

A lot of shooters who visit ranges are from the wee North and Certain DPM patterns can cause offence also.

If something is for the general public, it has to be made Generally acceptable to all.

You can not keep all the people happy all the time.

Whatever the merits of training for hunting in camo, unless you own the range, you have to abide by the range rules. That's basic etiquette.

heres what i said bud!
    here read it again and this time take that Hurley out of your hand!
    Look here!
    If your going practice for a hunt then you should wear the clothes that you going to be hunting in. You need to know which pockets you alway keep certain items in and be able to operate in complete darkness. Its a standard practice if you want to be efficient in the field. No point learning when something goes wrong while hunting because either your gear or your system failed you.

I suppose this ridiculous strategy has something to do with the ban on practical shooting, perhaps with pistols. I can't fathom it because it flies in the face of convention wisdom with regard to hunting efficiency and well established methods of training. I could understand if camo was not allowed for those involved in pistol shooting (as its not for hunting) or even if camo supply was restricted to the general public but this policy stinks to high heaven.

Its ridiculous and you need to draw their attention to the facts.

Where do you get it from??
    sparks wrote:
    Actually, that's precisely what you said. You told the OP to call up the range and berate them over their rules.
    Unless the OP outright owns the range, that's just plain rude. Not to mention wrong-headed; the range is providing a service. If you don't like it that much, go elsewhere or start your own range. This isn't a public utility like the ESB that we're talking about here, it's a private business or a private club.
    OK-so lets suppose fore one min your not happy with a private business or a private club!!!
    Your saying that informing them that there policy is effecting your ability to reach your maxims is
    sparks wrote:
    that's just plain rude. Not to mention wrong-headed
    thank god I'm not in your sort of club mate!

Members of any club are entitled to their opinions! What sort of clubs are you in-- the sheep club! huh Does everyone follow the leader and never suggest anything other than same old same old...

• Advertisement

What sort of clubs are you in-- the sheep club! huh Does everyone follow the leader and never suggest anything other than same old same old...
    "suggest" and "inform them of the error" are two completely different things Ivan. One says "I have an idea I think might work better than what we're doing". The other says "You're doing it wrong you idiot".

When you're going to a range where you're so new you don't yet know the rules (and if the OP wasn't new to the range, he wouldn't have posted), it's generally considered rude to call up the range before you get there to tell them they're doing it wrong.

Our club had a guideline that if you thought it could be done better, you had to step up and help do it; and that meant you had to have been around a while helping out first so we knew you weren't going to run it into the ground and leg it, leaving us to clear up the mess. That's just plain common sense. And it seemed to work reasonably well, looking at the results we got.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I was up in midlands sometime in May to collect my membership card.

I saw this middle aged tall chap all dressed up in a military uniform with an Irish Flag Patch on one side of his tunic/coat. He appeared to be well known
    as he was chatting to different people.

I thought at first he was some sort of offical external range safety inspector or someone from the defence forces. Then I noticed all the gear he was wearing "looked" (Dont know if it was or not) like the Old Olive Drab Irish issue uniform without rank markings. (I know its not illegal to wear this now
    as its not current issue). There was not a speck of dust or dirt on it, it looked like it was brand new and just after been taken out of a plastic wrapping.

I kinda of did a double take and thought to myself that it was a bit weird! it was not hunting gear, it did not have a weathered worn look, and did not appear to serve any practical purpose while at a Civilian/Private shooting range.

Myself when I goto the range its a pair or jeans and a jumper.

I changed the way I dressed when I started shooting at the Range.
    I used to dress like a Goth, from head to toe in black clothes with
    ankle length leather jackets and knee high boots etc.

When I went for my first firearms licence and when I started shooting I was
    paranoid that if a city boy turned up to a country range that members
    there would think I was some kind of gun toating Lunatic or nut job.

So I started to wear shades of greens and browns to blend in since those
    colours were all the rage! :)
    Thankfully my days of wearing the ol weirdo black clothes are over
    as the last few years have been wearing more Normal looking stuff.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 uachtar99

So where goes the limit?

I've been on a good few ranges and I can't imagine anyone would be too bothered. I think the regulations are there to protect against jackasses bringing the clubs into disrepute.

bullets wrote: »
    I saw this middle aged tall chap all dressed up in a military uniform with an Irish Flag Patch on one side of his tunic/coat.
    There are a few members of the defence forces who train in the midlands for the CISM games... but from what I remember them saying, they don't turn up there in uniform. In fact I don't remember them ever turning up to any range in uniform bar one occasion when an army shooting match and a civilian shooting match were happening within a few hours of each other. They said they'd think of it as being a bit... odd.

There are a few members of the defence forces who train in the midlands for the CISM games... but from what I remember them saying, they don't turn up there in uniform. In fact I don't remember them ever turning up to any range in uniform bar one occasion when an army shooting match and a civilian shooting match were happening within a few hours of each other. They said they'd think of it as being a bit... odd.

I have seen same guy, Horses for courses.

Drab olive is OK

I have seen same guy
    If it is who I think it might be - and don't post any names, anybody - well, yes, that chap does have a bit of a reputation for that practice, and there are ranges he's not welcome on because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

I suppose this ridiculous strategy has something to do with the ban on practical shooting, perhaps with pistols.

Ivan, why do you associate this issue with practical shooting? Camo in my experience, is usually worn by the shotgun and rifle hunters, who also practice clay shooting and benchrest at ranges. Please dont speculate on practical shooting, enough harm has been done to the whole shooting community by unfounded statements. For your information, most practical shooting enthusiasts wear sportswear when shoting.

If it is who I think it might be - and don't post any names, anybody - well, yes, that chap does have a bit of a reputation for that practice, and there are ranges he's not welcome on because of it.

I was hardly going to post:D

I wear TESCO camo combats to work every day!!

That way nobody passes any remarks on Moi.

Now dressing up is not my thing.

I'm a more casual guy.:D:D

I don't know the chap from Adam, never spoke to him.

It's just Military Surplus, as another poster mentioned. The DF use the range.

And I know the DF find it to say the least, disrespectful for the Uniform to be worn, never mind illegal (Irish DPM only)

The old drab olive, it's vintage/classic now, just like shooting a Lee Enfield or a mauser

So where goes the limit?

Thank you everyone for your answers.
    A special thank to tackleberry for your advice.
    At least i know where i stand now when it comes to what clothes to wear.
    And like the rest of you here i just love to shoot,and take my sport seriouslyicon7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

missed this but when i go down to the range Id wear smart casual, and comfortable.
    Never combats military type and never track suits.

Polo shirt/shirt jeans or chino slacks (God Bet you havent seen chinos for a while):rolleyes: and I wear a hiking boot for comfort.

I wear the Clay shooting jacket which funny enough i also wear when plinking/ target shooting with the 22 cause theres plenty of pockets

Maybe im old fashioned, but camo etc no way, saying that I have this gear at home for ducks and vermin

Advertisement