Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress code at shooting range

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Oddly enough, I wouldn't have picked out tracksuits as being unsuitable. But then, I'm used to slightly odd-looking clothes on the range :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    Oddly enough, I wouldn't have picked out tracksuits as being unsuitable. But then, I'm used to slightly odd-looking clothes on the range :D

Butchers aprons and the like

Chef's aprons. Butcher's aprons are different. And chef's aprons are only permissible when worn with matching chef's hat.

Chef's aprons. Butcher's aprons are different. And chef's aprons are only permissible when worn with matching chef's hat.

Could not resist :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

???? How namy racegoers do you see at the Curragh/Leopardstown/wherever dressed in tight white trousers and stripey shirts? How many people do you see at Mondello in racing overalls??
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    P

why would people wear county gaa jerseys going to watch a football match from the stands and not actually be participating in it?? also why would people wear manu and liverpool jerseys to a pub? why do people wear noserings and there not even cattle??? confused:: confsed:: etc!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Ferreter, is this you ? I took it at the Tramore Annual Beach Shoot last year - You had all the women swooning around you !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

That lad wouldn't get into our range, as being dressed as a catapult would be deemed inappropriate and offensive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

When ever I see someone wearing camo,
    I always have to resist the urge to walk up to them and ask

"Why the camo gear? afraid of snipers?"

and then fall about the place laughing at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Mr Mole wrote: »
    That lad wouldn't get into our range, as being dressed as a catapult would be deemed inappropriate and offensive :D

What's worse is that it is loaded

Two ball bearings in the cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

flanum wrote: »
    why would people wear county gaa jerseys going to watch a football match from the stands and not actually be participating in it?? also why would people wear manu and liverpool jerseys to a pub? why do people wear noserings and there not even cattle??? confused:: confsed:: etc!! :rolleyes:

My point exactly. Thanks for reinforcing it!
    Some people wear football jerseys to matches because it is a primitive tribal thing, - just listen to the chants, the drum noises, etc. It makes them believe that they are part of the team, the big football thing, just listen to their after match comments.
    Many of those who wear noserings do so to stand out from the ordinary and show that they do not care about ordinary accepted conduct - it is an aberrant behaviour pattern that most reasonably intelligent people grow out of with maturity, unless of course they are frozen by their mental abilities. It is called atavistic behaviour. Basic year 1 psychology.
    People who wear camo to a range are wannabe'e, plain and simple.
    In addition, those that insist on wearing cammo at a range and want to shove it in people’s faces and “demand their right” to wear what they want are just immature, ill-mannered and are best ignored.
    P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

T-Square wrote: »
    When ever I see someone wearing camo,
    I always have to resist the urge to walk up to them and ask

"Why the camo gear? afraid of snipers?"

and then fall about the place laughing at them.

As a psychoanalyst I can generally understand the most unusal statements, but really I'm struggling with this one. Why would you think that? Why do you have to resist the urge if you reall y do fall around the place, have you asked yourself what others may think of you?

My point exactly. Thanks for reinforcing it!
    Some people wear football jerseys to matches because it is a primitive tribal thing, - just listen to the chants, the drum noises, etc. It makes them believe that they are part of the team, the big football thing, just listen to their after match comments.
    Many of those who wear noserings do so to stand out from the ordinary and show that they do not care about ordinary accepted conduct - it is an aberrant behaviour pattern that most reasonably intelligent people grow out of with maturity, unless of course they are frozen by their mental abilities. It is called atavistic behaviour. Basic year 1 psychology.
    People who wear camo to a range are wannabe'e, plain and simple.
    In addition, those that insist on wearing cammo at a range and want to shove it in people’s faces and “demand their right” to wear what they want are just immature, ill-mannered and are best ignored.
    P.

I just got home from work and slipped into my desert DPM, I take part in events in the Sahara every year. Generally when I get home from work I'm straight into a pair, most of the time I'm in combats. Only once or twice a week I will be using a gun whilst in them. So does that make me a wannbe?

I find combats great for hunting but I was wearing them a long time before I was shooting, extra pockets when I'm on one of the bikes, just plain comfortable. Really, if people want to start judging others and using psych concepts have a look at the concept of projection, because it appears to me there is a lot of it on this thread. As for the ill mannered part well nothing excuses that.

When i was growing up, everyone wore ex british or west german camo, as they were warm and "chape" Cheap.

I like camo, some like donegal tweed. I'd never wear tweed as i'd feel a bit silly, an old ma who wears tweed would not wear camo for same reason.

My mates already think i am cracked for loving guns.
    Since I spend a fortune on them, when i could go on sun holidays or play golf like they do!

They think I'm sad as I get excited at teh thoughts of getting a new rifle.

I think they are sad having arguements over liverpool/manu/Chelsea etc

Sports jeseys are not allowed in many public houses, ref B'ohs/ Rovers.

People Judge us on how we look.
    Camo on a range is not appropriate as some people find it threatening.

I saw a guy once wear a bright pink Jacket that looked like something from a red light distriict in amsterdam. I was young and slagged him off. I was astonished that as the only non Target shooter their I was not joined.

It opened my eyes to the fact that in some setting some things are appropiate.
    I was slagged for going on a range once in my wellies.

As all the guys there woer expensive Goretx boots or Dunarry Deck shoes and the like.

I never wore my wellies on the range again, except midweek of course when the Townies were not there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

everybody here are complain about how public judge shooters without knowing them, just because love to shoot it must be some nut job.
    and here people in this community are doing same thing ..judging people because what they wear?
    if somebody likes to wear camo.. go ahead,make fun of him.. but hows that affect you? oh you just dont like it right?
    if somebody likes to wear panda ( :D ) suit..why not? does your eyes gonna explode? nope. you just like to tell other what they can/cant do..you like to have power. you dont like different people. sure its stupid to wear panda suit heh..sure is not practical..but if isn't dangerous to anybody, and doesn't affect anybody
    why the hell is your problem then?
    People Judge us on how we look.Camo on a range is not appropriate as some people find it threatening.
    not appropriate..what a great excuse... since is not dangerous to you/other in any way shape or form.. then is not appropriate.
    and what kind of people is saying that? shallow and narrow minded..who dont have clue about life apparently or just cant read newspaper about everyday killings. and whats that gonna change if shooters will wear not eye catching clothes? what they were wearing until last change in legislation? did that helped? did that stopped some gov. monkeys ?

oh i forgot ..39 seconds after wearing camo you are changing into Rambo-killing machine..heh thats right.. well thats just make sense then.

thats just my opinion only , of course range owner can have whatever rules he can come up with including nude shooting if he likes.
    everybody should wear what they like , if its not safety matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

It is not about the range operators - it is about the people with cameras and phone cameras taking a few 'innocent snaps'

Next thing you know there is the age old 'weekend warriors' image complete with full camo suit with maybe even a 'sniper rifle' to hand in the sunday paper.

That of course would have some sort of 'militia mobilise' type headline on it.

You know the sort of thing - man crashes car into wall - images of him in full camo with gun appear on news bulletin - obvious nutter - should never have been allowed out in public - type story.

That, in my view, is what this is about.

There is no point trying to explain to people that is not what the image signifies - they do not care - best to never provide the image or the fuel for the misinformation in the first place.

And besides any of that - if you cannot abide by the rules of a range - regardless of what they are or where it is - you have no business being there. End of.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »

And besides any of that - if you cannot abide by the rules of a range - regardless of what they are or where it is - you have no business being there. End of.

B'Man

Of course rules should be followed whethere one agrees with them or not, this judging people stuff though is a completely different story. There is a thread in the m/bike forum currently trying to locate a person, this person had devil horns on his bike lid, some typical crap about the type of person who would wear such an item was posted and it was correctly pointed out that it said more about the poster than the person wearing them.

I don't use ranges, but will at some stage and of course I will abide by the rules. However, somethings being said here appear to be much more general and applicable to someone whether they are at the range or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Some people may remember a while back here (can't recall how far exactly) someone was on complaining that they were walking in a Coillte wood and heard shots, and later met guys with rifles wearing camo stuff, and they were outraged that these obvious lunatics were out in public, in a Coillte forest, slaughtering defenceless animals. Now it's one thing to defend the practical use of camo kit for hunting where concealment is in fact an issue, but for the public relations side of things, I'm happy to see range operators deciding on a more friendly image. Would you be happy to see photographs of a shooting team wearing "I shot JR" tshirts and holding rifles or pistols in a newspaper? Would that be a public image we'd like associated with the sport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

Bananaman wrote: »
    It is not about the range operators - it is about the people with cameras and phone cameras taking a few 'innocent snaps'

Next thing you know there is the age old 'weekend warriors' image complete with full camo suit with maybe even a 'sniper rifle' to hand in the sunday paper.

That of course would have some sort of 'militia mobilise' type headline on it.

You know the sort of thing - man crashes car into wall - images of him in full camo with gun appear on news bulletin - obvious nutter - should never have been allowed out in public - type story.

That, in my view, is what this is about.

There is no point trying to explain to people that is not what the image signifies - they do not care - best to never provide the image or the fuel for the misinformation in the first place.

i know what you saying b'man, all of them "newspapers" would be jumping like a rabbit from happiness if that would happen, great story.. controversy.. doesn't matter facts. thats why we have those rules on the range until something gonna changed in this country.
    but its still stupid dosen't how necessary it is unfortunately.

<MOD SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Camo on a range is not appropriate as some people find it threatening.

I know a few boys on the range that people find threatening regardless of what they're wearing!!:eek::eek:
    Dosnt bother me, wear camo if you want to be a wannabe soldier. To me it dosnt matter what i wear, il still get the same ****ty groups:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

bullets wrote: »
    I was up in midlands sometime in May to collect my membership card.

I saw this military uniform with an Irish Flag Patch on one side of tunic/coat.

I kinda of did a double take and thought to myself that it was a bit weird! it was not hunting gear, it did not have a weathered worn look, and did not appear to serve any practical purpose while at a Civilian/Private shooting range.

~B
    The suit you saw is shown in the attached images. It is purpose designed for shooting in the field or on a range. It has the following features:
    1. Weatherproof but lightweight
    2. Padded knees and elbows for prone shooting
    3. Padded shoulder fronts to minimise recoil.
    4. Sling attachment on left arm for a single point sling like an ISSF jacket.
    5. Accessory pockets sited for fast access on sleeves and elsewhere.
    6. Lower front pockets on sides so as not to interfere with prone shooting.

So it does have a place in the field or on a range.

As regards the flag, it was worn for two reasons:
    1. Pride in Ireland
    2. It was earned representing Ireland, on the official shooting team, in two shooting disciplines, at home, in the USA and in Europe on more than one occasion.

As regards it's condition, it is a prototype, designed and tested by the Canadian Army and well looked after by me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The suit you saw is shown in the attached images. It is purpose designed for shooting in the field or on a range. It has the following features:

1. Pride in Ireland
    2. It was earned representing Ireland, on the official shooting team, in two shooting disciplines, at home, in the USA and in Europe on more than one occasion.

As regards it's condition, it is a prototype, designed and tested by the Canadian Army and well looked after by me.

Strange stuff.

I am beginner level on stalking, and equate it to rough-shooting, where you cover ground – often a lot of it. Similarly, I equate range shooting to driven shooting, with a lot less moving around. I find the gear for driven shooting useless for rough shooting. In the field, i.e. walk-up or stalking, you need a silent breathable fabric, it has to be tough to get past briars, gorse, etc. For driven shooting, a Barbour is fine, but it is like a sauna if you wear it while walking. Horses for courses. Cammo is fine if you are on a mountain. It has no place on a range; it looks stupid, it simply gives the wrong impression. Too many people, including shooters and shooter friendly people associate it with the Deep South Redneck brigade. And they are right usually. Bad for our sport, gives the antis an excuse.

Frankly, that suit in your photographs does nothing for me. The colour is wrong for starters. The ergonomics might be ok for a range, padded shoulder, etc., but all those clip fasteners do nothing for it and side pockets are a bitch in the field, as they always snag on stuff and are a waste of space.

As for the Irish flag, big deal. I too have represented Ireland on several occasions (in a non-shooting sport) and see no need to go around with a tricolour on my sleeve (or on anything else, but I do have a few international event badges sewn on my kit bag.)

Got to go, must dress for dinner.:D
    P.

1. Pride in Ireland

Don't mind the lads Fortycoats, what ever works for you.
    Green is fine for the range or field as animals are colour blind
    http://nicowholesale.net/store.php?crn=212&rn=457&action=show_detail

Its the pattern they recognize and the smell.

I often wore funny (as I thought) T-Shirts to work, some found them offensive;so I had to change what I wore.
    Liquor she'll love it was my favorite, on maturity I realize that it may have caused offence.

I have seen you on the range, and I am sure you have seen me.
    I'm always wearing combat STYLE and camo STYLE clothes so i am easy to spot.

I find green a nice colour, I even bought a rifle just because it was green.
    I got mocked for wearing my green Wellies !

yet they have served me well.

I would never wear a Barbour jacket or a tweed one.
    each to his own is what I say. The rules clearly say NON Military unless serving member on duty, or as part of a competition.

I was wearing my uniform today, but i would feel like a wally wearing it on the range as I know lots would get a good laugh at my expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

When we all started shooting we seen lads wearing certain forms of clothing and associated it with that form of shooting.
    When I started clay shooting I had an old fishing jacket that I always wore. Then you had the lads who had the brand name skeet vests, gloves and fancy shades along with the leather tab on their shoes. Sure I would be standing there feeling a little uneasy because I stuck out like a sore thumb, but what I found was that a lot of these guys were trying so hard to look the part they couldnt shoot for ****. 20 years later I still wear my fishing jacket going clay shooting.

The amount of could we call it social snobbery about fitting in and looking right is a little odd espically coming from the lads in here. We are always going on about joe public saying blah blah blah man with gun danger to society...etc. To be honest it doesnt matter what we wear that fact that they see us shooting be it clays, targets or game they will just see BIG BAD GUN.
    Wear what you feel comfortable in and let the score cards at the end of the day do the talking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

bananaman said it all. It's all about not giving the anti's an opportunity to give us bad publicity and if that means foregoing cheap surplus DPM then so be it.

homerhop wrote: »
    Wear what you feel comfortable in and let the score cards at the end of the day do the talking!!!
    If it's the difference between a shooting jacket that's older than you are and the very latest composite material in designer colours, then yes.

If, however, it's someone turning up in one of these (and this particular incident has gone down in the lore of Irish target shooting, and all the old hands will know the tale):

belgium1940maybelgiumsergeantbelgianarmyeg9.jpg

Then I say no thanks. And I say no thanks to lads turning up in full camo suits while a local TD gets walked around the range in an effort to get funding/good PR/planning permission/whatever as well, because that's a few lads saying "sod everyone else, we can do what we want, it's a free country". Which isn't incorrect, but unless they can put hand in pocket and pay for the range and get the planning permission and write the story in the local press, then they're really taking more than they're being given, and that's just plain unfair.

If it's HCAP day and folks turn up in the stuff they'll wear in the field, that's a different story, but that's kind of obvious really. It's a case of being sensible and thinking that since a range is a collective resource, that you occasionally have to be inconvenienced for the sake of everyone else. Nobody seems to have a problem with that when it means having to wait five minutes before the next cease-fire to collect their targets...

i'm wearing a pair of combat style desert pattern shorts currently I bought in Next in Liffey valley.

Am I allowed wear them or am I trying to look like a WW1 infantry soldier?

Or am I looking more like a surfer dud with my flip flops?

I might wear them tl a range today as I have to pick up my membership card.

I do think the sight of my hairy legs might offend some and my knobbly knees more :D:D

am I trying to look like a WW1 infantry soldier?
    Depends. Are you wearing an actual or replica of a pre-WW1 belgian infantry soldier's uniform?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

And I say no thanks to lads turning up in full camo suits while a local TD gets walked around the range in an effort to get funding/good PR/planning permission/whatever as well, because that's a few lads saying "sod everyone else, we can do what we want, it's a free country".

I am sure the range is aware of such days and can impose their "school uniform" day for such occasions. After all they are able to insist members turn up and help out for a make the place nice and shiny for joe public

It's a case of being sensible and thinking that since a range is a collective resource, that you occasionally have to be inconvenienced for the sake of everyone else.

Occasionally is the key word there such as joe public is comng to give us money days.

Depends. Are you wearing an actual or replica of a pre-WW1 belgian infantry soldier's uniform?

No. NEXT department store is far from a Military outlet ;)

They keep me nice and cool in this clammy weather

I was wearing a Military uniform in an official capacity yesterday.
    If I ever wear my military uniform I am very conscious of not disrespecting it, not spiting,cursing or doing anything that would be a poor reflection on the cap badge and flag of my country.

When i am wearing a pair of shorts I bought in a department store used by the masses I am wearing fashionable clothes :D

I do think Forty coats does not look offensive. To me that is.

Saying that several people are offended by me if i mention I am a bunny bashing bambie killing thug.

I get offended when I see a load of lads with red coats on horses instead of our native green.
    the coats are a different colour but the same material and style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Fortycoats, dont mind some of the comments here, wear what you like my friend and if it helps you with your sport then why not ? As for representing your country - well done my friend !!!

Frankly, that suit in your photographs does nothing for me.

Perhaps if he accessorised it with some big earrings, a collection of bangles on his wrist and finished it off with a nice silky neck scarf ?
    I think you've been watching a bit too much of GOKS FASHION TIPS dude!

Also I would have thought that considering you say that you've represented our country in the past then I'm sure you would know and have experience of the kind of pressure and preparation a competitor on the international stage must go through,and that a flippent remark like - "Well I've represented my country too - big deal" is an extremely unprofessional way to talk to a fellow international competitor and some manners wouldnt go astray. <MOD SNIP>

Advertisement