Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dress code at shooting range

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Very bold vix :D

Funny though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

snip
    Saying that several people are offended by me if i mention I am a bunny bashing bambie killing thug.

I get offended when I see a load of lads with red coats on horses instead of our native green.
    snip

Well, I for one am surprised (I don't get offended easily); no true hunter would ever describe himself as a “bunny bashing bambie killing thug” unless of course he were a nutter looking for a row. Why would you want to describe yourself that way?

The colour is actually pink, not red. It is worn by hunt officials, others wear what they want, within guidelines, and some hunts wear green. Most wear proper clothing out of respect for the hunt, the quarry and their fellow sportsmen. <MOD SNIP>

<MOD SNIP>

This thread is really showing people up for what they are. Dress up as boy soldiers if you like, just play your games out of the public gaze, stay away from those respectable clubs that have sensible rules and do not claim to represent all shooters.

Thanks

P
    PS Buying your cammo in Next is rather naff, and, of course, that stuff is soooo last year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

The colour is actually pink, not red.

Or is it cerise....Lordy, I just simply cant decide !!!
    Most wear proper clothing out of respect for the hunt, the quarry and their fellow sportsmen.

Yeah, I'm sure animals prefer being killed by a person with good dress sense :D

<MOD SNIP>

<MOD SNIP>

<MOD SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

This thread is really showing people up for what they are.
    #

So what are we then if i might ask?

I wore desert style combat shorts on range today. Nobody said boo to me.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

What about wearing this?
    http://www.ghilliesuit.co.uk/?gclid=CNi778T9z6ICFQdslAodWirwxA
    (im joking by the way)

Well, I for one am surprised (I don't get offended easily); no true hunter would ever describe himself as a “bunny bashing bambie killing thug” unless of course he were a nutter looking for a row. Why would you want to describe yourself that way?

The colour is actually pink, not red. It is worn by hunt officials, others wear what they want, within guidelines, and some hunts wear green. Most wear proper clothing out of respect for the hunt, the quarry and their fellow sportsmen. <MOD SNIP>

<MOD SNIP>

This thread is really showing people up for what they are. Dress up as boy soldiers if you like, just play your games out of the public gaze, stay away from those respectable clubs that have sensible rules and do not claim to represent all shooters.

Thanks

P
    PS Buying your cammo in Next is rather naff, and, of course, that stuff is soooo last year:D

I was initially standing up for a fellow shooter as I would stand up for anyone I believe who was being wronged.( I do not know fortycoats and i have never spoken to him and have NO vested Interest)

I do not think anyone has the right to mock someone if they are doing no harm and minding their own business.

I have a thing about being offended. It is the realms of the insecure to mock others.

Every member of the shooting community has interests in different aspects of the sport.
    Some are rough shooters with shotguns, some air rifle, some FTR, some benchrest, some varminting, some stalking and some all of the above.

I enjoy most aspects of the sport, not a big air rifle or silhouette person, just not my idea of fun.

I am in a respectable club, with respectable rules. Where wearing a green shooting jacket is no problem, or real tree or mossy oak.

Just not Military. Which I never wear Military.
    I play soldiers and as soon as I have finished my military Duty I take them off and back into my regular clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The suit you saw is shown in the attached images. It is purpose designed for shooting in the field or on a range. It has the following features:
    1. Weatherproof but lightweight
    2. Padded knees and elbows for prone shooting
    3. Padded shoulder fronts to minimise recoil.
    4. Sling attachment on left arm for a single point sling like an ISSF jacket.
    5. Accessory pockets sited for fast access on sleeves and elsewhere.
    6. Lower front pockets on sides so as not to interfere with prone shooting.

Howdy,

When I was describing what I saw I was not trying to
    offend or slag anyone off, Just I saw someone in what looked like a full military uniform on and it kinda looked odd
    to me on a non military range.

I'm questioning my own memory now as the Kit you have
    in the photos you posted does not match my memories of
    what I saw this chap wearing.

I dont recall seeing sling hooks or padding anyplace.
    It looked more like what's in the pics posted below of Irish gear circa 1989:
    (Owner too fat to fit into for since the early 90's,
    scary stuff the belt is still adusted to what was my 26" waist which is now 36")

~B

th_89_a.jpg
    th_89_b.jpg
    th_89_c.jpg

bullets wrote: »
    Howdy,

When I was describing what I saw I was not trying to
    offend or slag anyone off, Just I saw someone in what looked like a full military uniform on and it kinda looked odd
    to me on a non military range.

I'm questioning my own memory now as the Kit you have
    in the photos you posted does not match my memories of
    what I saw this chap wearing.

I dont recall seeing sling hooks or padding anyplace.
    It looked more like what's in the pics posted below of Irish gear circa 1989:
    (Owner too fat to fit into for since the early 90's,
    scary stuff the belt is still adusted to what was my 26" waist which is now 36")

~B

th_89_a.jpg
    th_89_b.jpg
    th_89_c.jpg

Hi

Looks like a very comfortable and varm outfit for shooting.
    I have a similar shooting jacket designed by the german army.Very nice for those long cold winter days.
    During the summer i am just wearing a vest like in the other picture.
    Very handy for keeping your firearmslisence,windmeter,ballistics calculator,multitool,etc when on the range.
    Thats why i am wearing it.

Hi

Looks like a very comfortable and varm outfit for shooting.
    I have a similar shooting jacket designed by the german army.Very nice for those long cold winter days.
    During the summer i am just wearing a vest like in the other picture.
    Very handy for keeping your firearmslisence,windmeter,ballistics calculator,multitool,etc when on the range.
    Thats why i am wearing it.

I like the vest.
    A vest is better than any jacket as you have ultimate freedom and also have oodles of pockets to store all the "Junk" required on range.

I think a Sherpa is also a necessary bit of range Kit :D

• Advertisement

I like the vest.
    A vest is better than any jacket as you have ultimate freedom and also have oodles of pockets to store all the "Junk" required on range.

You said it tackle couldnt agree moreicon7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

vixdname wrote: »

Or is it cerise....Lordy, I just simply cant decide !!!

Just Google "Hunting Pink" - then Google "Hunting Traditions."
    <MOD SNIP>
    P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You think you have it bad, try hauling this lot around:

Kit1.jpg

You need a sherpa!

The bench rest, ammo/utility box, and the rifle/s in flight cases annoy the ti*s off me.

Hunting you only need ammo :D

Anything else is just Luxury :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

511 tactical kit..Just cant beat it.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nope, no sherpa. One hockey kitbag:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=118997&stc=1&d=1278199153

and one peli case:
    DSC00601a.JPG

And a briefcase if I'm shooting air pistol as well:
    dscf5177a.jpg

And the camera kit too. And maybe some lunch for between the two matches.

It is for that reason alone I am turned off Target shooting.

Too much schtuff to be carrying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Come on folks, we really shouldn't have to go through this again!

Here we go anyway:

From the Shooting Forum Charter:
    There are some basic rules:

* No flaming, trolling or personal abuse.

And from the general overall Boards.ie Guidelines:

Be Civil

Don't abuse people personally

If, heaven forbid, 'someone is wrong on the Internet', certainly refute their points and opinion with your own points and opinion, but you are obliged by the forum Charter quoted above and by the general Boards.ie Guidelines to do so in a civil and reasonable manner.
    Making barbed personal comments, obviously designed to rankle and get under the skin of their target, is unacceptable both here and generally throughout Boards.ie.

A bunch of stuff had been edited out of this thread and some posts deleted; no-one has been infracted or banned or sanctioned in any way, but further silliness will see the thread closed permanently and the person(s) responsible dealt with more harshly.

Thread reopened.
    [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

The no camo rule is enforced where I shoot. I was told its for safety reasons. For example, if someone is downrange changing paper and so on, someone else might not hear the ceasefire or not notice the red flags and might not spot someone in camo gear. Highly unlikely I know but theres always one............

Heckler wrote: »
    The no camo rule is enforced where I shoot. I was told its for safety reasons. For example, if someone is downrange changing paper and so on, someone else might not hear the ceasefire or not notice the red flags and might not spot someone in camo gear. Highly unlikely I know but theres always one............

I normally bring a high vis vest and wear it when going down range.

They can be bought for €5 in Tesco's. Every little helps ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I normally bring a high vis vest and wear it when going down range.

They can be bought for €5 in Tesco's. Every little helps ;)

Same here. A hi-vis vest is on a peg for the first person to go downrange and that person has to be the last one off range while checking for others before they hang it up again and take in the live range flags. Can't be too careful I reckon. Just one accident and tis all over.

Same here. A hi-vis vest is on a peg for the first person to go downrange and that person has to be the last one off range while checking for others before they hang it up again and take in the live range flags. Can't be too careful I reckon. Just one accident and tis all over.

A friend of mine was telling me, in some long distance range outside of Ireland they have a school bus that brings all shooters down range and all shooters back.

It speeds up the whole thing.

Many times; have I been on range and watch a couple of lads stroll back froim the 300 as if on holidays

Meanwhile everybody is waiting for there return for range to go live. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

On that point.Wouldnt it be smarter to do the following?
    put micro CCTV cameras and screens on the range firing points and at the targets?Not hideously expensive anymore,is wireless or can still be hardwired.Modern CCTV is a marvel..Does away with the need of everyone having to tear down to gawk with their targets every 20 mins.Have seen this set up once on the Continent that went out to a 1000 meter backstop,and the cameras worked fine after 10 plus years of use.
    Have one lad in radio contact with the Range officer who sets up the targets after every bout.Saves again everyone being bussed down and up.2 guys should be able to change a dozen targets and mark them with the stand number and be back up off the firing zone in 10 mins?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    On that point.Wouldnt it be smarter to do the following?
    put micro CCTV cameras and screens on the range firing points and at the targets?Not hideously expensive anymore,is wireless or can still be hardwired.Modern CCTV is a marvel..Does away with the need of everyone having to tear down to gawk with their targets every 20 mins.Have seen this set up once on the Continent that went out to a 1000 meter backstop,and the cameras worked fine after 10 plus years of use.
    Have one lad in radio contact with the Range officer who sets up the targets after every bout.Saves again everyone being bussed down and up.2 guys should be able to change a dozen targets and mark them with the stand number and be back up off the firing zone in 10 mins?

More funds though, and funds are strapped as is, the range I am a member has spent a lot on expansion in the past few months.

Cameras are good, however they still cost money.

A high vis is €5 and lasts years :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Thats the only logical point thats been put forward here IMO..

Advertisement