Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what annoys you about your htc desire?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

The price of my first bill:eek::eek:
    My data charges are over €700. When I was put on new contract i was alegedly told new contract with data will not commence until 5th of this month. I purchased phone 21st last month and of course i was straight on the net for apps and web:(

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Yeah, not really sure what the story was with the nice price but i was defo not going to argue with the guy! I know some people have had a few bad comments to say about CPW but I for one have had no bad dealings with them.

The one word of warning I would give anyone going to move from a basic Plan on Bill Pay to a Smart Plan: The new plan does not come into effect from your next billing period. Take me as an example, my billing period actually began today and even though i signed up for a Smart Plan it will not come into effect until 14/08/2010. So I'm making sure to stick with the Wi-fi only settings on the phone.....dont want Meteor getting anymore money than they already get off me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MoodeRator wrote: »
    My data charges are over €700. When I was put on new contract i was alegedly told new contract with data will not commence until 5th of this month. I purchased phone 21st last month and of course i was straight on the net for apps and web:(
    Ouch...........thats a pretty big annoyance........with meteor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Do not pay that! That is way ott. Tell them you cannot afford to pay that much and they will compromise with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

brimur69 wrote: »
    Def the most annoying thing is the crap camera. Maybe its just mine but photos in doors all look like they were take by a camera phone from 2003!

CrappyCamera.png

Just took this now at my desk, everything on AUTO and not zoomed in any bit.

Check out all that noise!!! :mad:

I just took a pic of my beer close up in mid to low light indoors, and it's many many times better.

4793536123_772dc567ae_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

MoodeRator wrote: »

Meteor don't do mid-cycle price plan changes? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

IMAG0012.jpg
    A photo of some carpet fibre :D As you can see there's barely any noise barring the black skirting board on the wall but the focused area looks pretty decent.

You can get some pretty decent shots with the Desire camera if you use the right settings.

Re the camera shots, I've had no issues with mine on default settings........
    Poster with dodge looking shot, you may have a faulty piece of hardware......

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Bought this phone at the weekend and love it the only thing that bothers me is the loudspeaker on it, its unbelieveably bad! Overall though its the best phone i've ever used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Selecting text while typing! Arggg. Why didn't they just use the same method for when you're selecting text off a web page?

Also, my phone loses network signal about once a day but doesn't regain connection unless I put it in and out of airplane mode. Thought it could be the sim so I got a new one but its still happening :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

so i bought a desire, convinced by many that it is the "n95 killer" that i was looking for. before using it for the first time the battery was my main concern. i was not under any impression that it would be a fantastic battery but holy sh1t miley, it's awful.

fully charged 10pm. turned off sync / wifi / apn at midnight and went to bed. turned the bits back on again about 9am. at 2.30pm my battery died.

shocking stuff. shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Random wrote: »
    so i bought a desire, convinced by many that it is the "n95 killer" that i was looking for. before using it for the first time the battery was my main concern. i was not under any impression that it would be a fantastic battery but holy sh1t miley, it's awful.

fully charged 10pm. turned off sync / wifi / apn at midnight and went to bed. turned the bits back on again about 9am. at 2.30pm my battery died.

Are you using a task killer of any kind as maybe some apps are still running in the background so the phone is not really in sleep mode?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Random wrote: »

Mine was like that at the start but it does get better after a couple of days

I get a full days use of it now - not great by any stretch of the word but still ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

After going out of a 3G covered area with meteor and the reception is 2G which is fine but sometimes it says I'm roaming? Tried turning off the phone and powering back on but still getting the issue. Maybe its more a problem with Meteor rather than the HTC desire though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Cianos wrote: »
    Selecting text while typing! Arggg. Why didn't they just use the same method for when you're selecting text off a web page?

Also, my phone loses network signal about once a day but doesn't regain connection unless I put it in and out of airplane mode. Thought it could be the sim so I got a new one but its still happening :(

This is coz of Meteor, not a fault with Desire.

Also about roaming, both 3 and Meteor roam onto vodafone when signal is weak sometimes. You don't pay more for this, don't worry about it.

With the guys noisy picture above, this was set to low quality? Setting to high quality produces better, like the other ones posted.

I think my loudspeaker sounds a bit better now with custom rom (leaked 2.2), so no complaints here. Also battery life is great, 2+ days. It's crazy, when you first get the Desire the battery is terrible, but improves. Also NOT using stupid task killers etc helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

got my desire for 30eu on an upgrade :)
    running it for about a week now, nice change from the hero.

only issue i have is with the battery, i have it under control now by switching to a stanrd image background, but i was using a live background (shake them all) which ate 40% of my battery in 3 hours!!!
    great feature, shame that using it kills the phone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

IMAG0012.jpg
    A photo of some carpet fibre :D As you can see there's barely any noise barring the black skirting board on the wall but the focused area looks pretty decent.

You can get some pretty decent shots with the Desire camera if you use the right settings.

What settings? I really don't rate the camera, I've tried playing with the settings, different ROMs, removing the cover etc.
    I have just resigned to the fact it has a shíte camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

I think I've seen this mentioned in this thread (or another one) but the main thing that annoys me about the Desire is the really ironic start-up. I 'love' the way it chimes very loudly and then calls itself 'quietly brilliant'. And I believe there is no way of turning it off at all......grrrrrr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

lang wrote: »
    I think I've seen this mentioned in this thread (or another one) but the main thing that annoys me about the Desire is the really ironic start-up. I 'love' the way it chimes very loudly and then calls itself 'quietly brilliant'. And I believe there is no way of turning it off at all......grrrrrr
    One more reason to root... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

JustinOval wrote: »
    What settings? I really don't rate the camera, I've tried playing with the settings, different ROMs, removing the cover etc.
    I have just resigned to the fact it has a shíte camera.
    I'm with you on the camera, well in particular when the flash needs to be used. I have yet to take a picture with flash on that I have said that's a great photo. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

maximum no of windows has been reached, please close (or words to those effect) Grrrr.... (and yes i know other browsers are there but they also annoy me, asking do i want to install something else)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

More to do with the Market than the Desire.....if theres an update to an app, i'd like to see what the update contains there and then, not see the message, please see http//randomwebsite.com for the changelog....alot of apps seem to be going this route lately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was sent a Vcard contact today, all I could do was click it and it saved itself automatically to I don't know where and the only way I could view the contact was to call the number, have it in my call log and then choose to view contact from there.. P

cormie wrote: »
    I was sent a Vcard contact today, all I could do was click it and it saved itself automatically to I don't know where and the only way I could view the contact was to call the number, have it in my call log and then choose to view contact from there.. P
    I had that problem a few weeks ago. What I did was forward the message and by doing so you are able to view the number in the compose text box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Great tip, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I pretty much agree with what has been said so far:
    • FM radio - ****, and I miss it from my N95. Kept me up to date with current affairs on public transport
    • Speaker - utter ****. I don't use it much, but still...lame
    • USB charing - takes too long, although glad to have it.
    • Windows 7 compatibility - for me this didn't work at all until I got a specific version of HTC application. Not impressed.

The battery is OK for me, I think people should switch their phone to 2G to see a major improvement in battery life. I switch it to 3G when needed, which isn't very often tbh since I use the Opera browser which is speedy on EDGE.

Also the (I can't remember the name of it now) application that prevents you from calling without a confirmatory press stopped all my pocket calling woes.

All in all though I am happy, even though I bought one SIM free :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

I've had the same problem with vcards, v annoying. I would have thought they would be a standard way way of sharing contacts on all phones so find it very strange that they dont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

is there any fix, for when you get a phone call and if dont answer keep the screen locked?
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Usb charging is not slow because of Desire, it is slow because usb ports don't put out much juice. Plug into wall socket and it charges real fast.

Vcard's don't have built in support, but there are many apps that can handle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Not really too big a deal, but considering that when you load an app, it stays loaded. (Thats right, isn't it?)
    Well, how come long-press on the Home key only shows the last 8 apps used? Surely it'd be better to be able to scroll through them or something.

• Advertisement

johnp wrote: »
    Not really too big a deal, but considering that when you load an app, it stays loaded. (Thats right, isn't it?)
    Well, how come long-press on the Home key only shows the last 8 apps used? Surely it'd be better to be able to scroll through them or something.

Now there is a shortcut I never even knew about!
    Chanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

"email was saved successfully" ... sloppy wording like this pisses me off. Surely someone should have noticed that during testing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

johnp wrote: »

No, it's not right. Well mostly not right. Applications will save and persist their state, to reactivate it should you run it again. Some will run in the background e.g. mp3 or radio.
    Have a read of the many articles that state you shouldn't need a task manager/killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

i'm into maybe my third week with the desire now. the battery life is getting longer. it's only at 46% now and it's on the go since 9am this morning. in the early days it was 20% by lunch.

roll on the good times :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I'm with you on the camera, well in particular when the flash needs to be used. I have yet to take a picture with flash on that I have said that's a great photo. :(

I find the camera pretty good for what it is in natural light but its AWFUL with the flash. For some reason the exposure is set way to high and everything is blown out, particularly skin tones

I use an app called Vignette and that seems better with setting exposures when a flash is used

Still not great but better.

Anyone know of any other way to set the exposure lower when a flash is used? Its way to fiddly to do it in each situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Found an interesting feature/bug where setting "use static ip" applies that to all WiFi connections rather than the current one. Bit of an annoyance for work/home use unless I've missed something .

Will investigate this further when on a bigger browser...

Advertisement