Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How about these for the Cliffs of Moher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

That must be some Buzz standing on the platform.:eek:

Can't see it ever being deployed on the cliffs though. Just imagine the outroar from the Greens.
    The new visiting centre took long enough to get the necessary go ahead and while it has been successful just imagine the tourism potential a platform like such would generate.
    This is 2010 and while we are quiet capable of constructing and designing a feature that would be both practicle and astetically pleasing we are still stuck in the 1960s mentality.
    We have so many natural beauty spots in this country that are not been utilised to their potential.
    Shame.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Can't see it ever being deployed on the cliffs though. Just imagine the outroar from the Greens.
    The new visiting centre took long enough to get the necessary go ahead and while it has been successful just imagine the tourism potential a platform like such would generate.
    This is 2010 and while we are quiet capable of constructing and designing a feature that would be both practicle and astetically pleasing we are still stuck in the 1960s mentality.
    We have so many natural beauty spots in this country that are not been utilised to their potential.
    If they were to charge €5 to go out on it they would get it.

There is also the problem of suicides, it would have to be locked when unsupervised. I know three people from town that have already topped themselves from the cliffs, something like this would make it even more tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 iquitalready

If they were to charge €5 to go out on it they would get it.

There is also the problem of suicides, it would have to be locked when unsupervised. I know three people from town that have already topped themselves from the cliffs, something like this would make it even more tempting.

How does this make it more tempting? Surely if your suicidal the asthetics of your surroundings wouldn't make a blind bit of difference and simply stepping off the cliffs is a lot easier than climbing over a railing.

We shouldn't even suggest this idea to the council.

If they build it they will end up charging us e20 each to see the fcuking cliffs. :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

We shouldn't even suggest this idea to the council.

If they build it they will end up charging us e20 each to see the fcuking cliffs. :eek:

Saw one of these in a Ski resort in Germany.
    In fairness it costs a bit to go up the mountain on the lift, but if you're willing to walk a bit, it's free and there's a lovely café with a terrace that also has lovely views.
    The car park at the lift is free too.
    At least you have a choice and many people choose to walk.
    What galls me is that Clare Co Co doesn't give you the choice, it's like Ruinair, pay up and shut up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭finbarrk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

It think it's pretty ugly to be honest.

The Skywalk at the Grand Canyon is cooler than that thing.

senior-travel-grand-canyon-skywalk.jpg

But things like this are a bit cheezy. That's why I prefer Doolin cave to the gimmickery at Ailwee Cave. Plus it keeps the ticket costs down.

It think it's pretty ugly to be honest.

The Skywalk at the Grand Canyon is cooler than that thing.

senior-travel-grand-canyon-skywalk.jpg

But things like this are a bit cheezy. That's why I prefer Doolin cave to the gimmickery at Ailwee Cave. Plus it keeps the ticket costs down.

What's cheesy about that? I think it's a cool idea, at the cliffs they actually keep you away from the edge (yes, there's some cliffs there, no you can't go near them ,you're going to have to take my word for it, if you want to know what it looks like you're going to have to buy a postcard)...
    Ireland is the most repressed country in the world, if anyone was in any danger of having any fun, it would be outlawed immediately, all you hear all day is "oh jesus, can't be doin' that, now what if someone scrapes a knee, etc...)
    Would the Nurburgring exist in Ireland and would you be allowed to drive onto it with your own car?
    Not in a million years.
    Other countries believe that the individual is responsible for his own actions, he jumped? That's terrible, he people should have helped him earlier.
    Here? He jumped? Let's build a fence and keep EVERYONE away, that will solve the problem.
    For every day I'm in Ireland a little piece of me dies...

one of these operated on battery power would be the business, non destructive to the cliff face and more thrilling. Only problem you must have an approved operators license and harnesses before you get into the basket. I still have a years left on mine. :)

boomLift.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

I wasn't aware the new visitor centre was successful, as read the other day its operating at a loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

Viewing platforms as in the above pictures may be suitable for the Alps or the Grand Canyon, but they would be highly dangerous at the Cliffs of Moher.
    One of the reasons that the Cliffs of Moher are fenced off is that they are sea cliffs, subject to erosion, and parts of them could collapse at any time. The reason for the fencing is not just to keep people from jumping off, but also to keep people from accidentally falling off in the case of a rockfall, and to keep people from getting blown off by the wind.

Also, the construction work involved in installing a viewing platform like that near the cliff edge would cause a risk of that part of the cliffs collapsing.

emanresu wrote: »
    Also, the construction work involved in installing a viewing platform like that near the cliff edge would cause a risk of that part of the cliffs collapsing.
    I would imagine reinforced girders would have to be sunk into the ground going right back as far as the interpretive center. Insurance for the construction work and finished product would also be prohibitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Installing those might justify charging 6 euro for a visit.

emanresu wrote: »
    Viewing platforms as in the above pictures may be suitable for the Alps or the Grand Canyon, but they would be highly dangerous at the Cliffs of Moher.
    One of the reasons that the Cliffs of Moher are fenced off is that they are sea cliffs, subject to erosion, and parts of them could collapse at any time. The reason for the fencing is not just to keep people from jumping off, but also to keep people from accidentally falling off in the case of a rockfall, and to keep people from getting blown off by the wind.

US: Yes we can!
    Ireland: Oh Jesus, can't be doin' that, insurance would never cover us, our solicitor advised against it, ah no, now can't be done here, Ireland is different, that'll be 50 quid please.

Pfff.. these viewing platforms are ugly. When it's something as big as the grand canyon or a mountain you can get away with it but you'd ruin the natural beauty of the cliffs sticking a big metal thing over the side.

I'd rather there weren't fences but when you consider there are children legging it about, and the high winds it'd be easy enough for someone to fall off. 20 years ago before everybody was so quick to sue it probably didn't matter but the council have to cover their arse.

Well, if everyone must be kept away from the cliffs as well as paying to see them there's doubly no point in going.

US: Yes we can!
    Ireland: Oh Jesus, can't be doin' that, insurance would never cover us, our solicitor advised against it, ah no, now can't be done here, Ireland is different, that'll be 50 quid please.

It would be irresponsible to build a structure on the edge of cliffs hit by ocean waves. It wouldn't be done in the US either.

Can you get a boat to have a look at them from below? I'd say that's probably a more interesting way to see them.

There are boats departing from Liscannor and Doolin, over to the Aran Islands and for tours along the cliffs.
    Haven't done the cliffs tour, but it sounds like fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement