Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots monopoly

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

kodute wrote: »
    I suppose that comment was tongue in cheek; I saw the tasty horse thread! :D

I dont know what my opinions about eating horses or KFC have to do with chemist schop? I 100% agree with Xiney -I would go to small local shops for sure, only if they would have similar offer and unfortunately they cant compare! More expensive -less choice. Sorry :cool:
    ps: I support local fishermen and I dont buy any fish from Tesco! :rolleyes: (good enough?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Xiney wrote: »
    any big chemists with own brand products would be lovely. Superdrug would be fantastic - but I didn't know there were any in the Republic?

There's a superdrug on william street in limerick
    although some of the locals got excited when they saw the shop front going up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Theres one in Letterkenny, cheap enough too. Also does Diet Coke with Lemon/Lime and Cherry Coke... mmm cherry coke.
    If Boots in Galway has a sandwich/cold drinks section you should be able to get Cherry Coke there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

janeybabe wrote: »
    If Boots in Galway has a sandwich/cold drinks section you should be able to get Cherry Coke there.

I don't think it does. I've never seen it...

Ah well, he'll have to stick with Letterkenny so. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do ya miss galway at all at all janeybabe?

Hmmm not really. I never really settled there. Nothing to do with the place, just a bad year for me.

I went back for a visit recently and I enjoyed it. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

good!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Maja wrote: »
    More expensive -less choice. Sorry :cool:
    ps: I support local fishermen and I dont buy any fish from Tesco! :rolleyes: (good enough?)

Its clear you hate local businesses that can't compete with the economies of scale of such large multinationals!
    I'd hate to live in your depressing, grey, soulless, 'walmart on every street corner' world. :pac:

Its clear you hate local businesses that can't compete with the economies of scale of such large multinationals!
    I'd hate to live in your depressing, grey, soulless, 'walmart on every street corner' world. :pac:
    come on, I don't think that's the truth at all.

the "local" chemists aren't selling anything different. They're just choosing to only sell a small amount of the same stuff that can be bought in boots - specifically the expensive, name brand stuff.

• Advertisement

There is a big new tesco (50,000 square feet) opening in Oranmore

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2010/0630/1224273605535.html
    No date given but it can't be long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

are you forgetting about flanagans down the road from boots and matt of flahertys up from boots and of course the supermarkets??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Am I the only one who thought of this when I saw the title?

monopoly_boot600.jpg

There is a big new tesco (50,000 square feet) opening in Oranmore

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2010/0630/1224273605535.html
    No date given but it can't be long.

do you know if there will be a tesco petrol station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

I think Boots is over rated, many items are more expensive there than in my local pharmacy, it’s always so crowded that I lose patience and can’t get out of it quick enough. I buy some of their own brands such as No. 7 pressed powder which is overpriced and you can’t buy a refill for it.
    Boots along with a few other pharmacy chains and department stores have a monopoly on selling brands such as Clinique, Clairns. These products are overpriced and can be bought online, e.g. strawberrynet.com, for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

I am all up for supporting local businesses, but you also need to draw the line with what your willing to spend. Its both common and business sense to go around and find whats the best deal for yourself. Why should i go off and purchase items in a store were I can go 5 minutes awawy and get those exact items cheaper? This applies for Botos.

Now your whole shinagans with using greens and veg argument in here is non-sense. You cant put these two in the same category. Of course I would go off and purchase stuff from locals for this type of products. but this is due to them being fresher and better quality and me willing to pay for that more extra. But sure if another company goes out and i prefer their product more over then the product im getting and its cheaper. why in hell would i go and purchase the more less inferior product?

This is the world we live in. If you want to do well in a competitive market you need to offer something to value to the customers. Be in low prices, better quality ect.

ahh sure walmart has everything in its shop.. food, clothes,electronics, jewlery, chemist.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought of this when I saw the title?

monopoly_boot600.jpg

:D

:eek:

-yeah and thats why I dont like KFC, supermarkets and other "multi" chains.. you got me copletely wrong!
    -depresing, grey, soulless world -yes thats exactly me! :rolleyes:

I always hate the people that are angry at companies because they are big.. damn you multi nationals <shakeing fist>. The reason they are big is because they are doing something right, people like their products and purchase stuff off them. Why harass companies for providing a service. If you dont like it, then dont goto to it and go give your business to companies you do like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'd love it if we got a bigger Boots, ours is ridiculously small. A Superdrug would be amazing too. There's so many makeup brands you can't get in Galway such as Urban Decay (Debenhams sometimes has a time seletion of the giftsets), Barry M and Sleek.
    I never shop in a pharmacy other than Boots unless they sell something Boots doesn't, Boots is much cheaper, has a better layout and has a loyalty card which is really handy.

• Advertisement

Columc wrote: »
    I always hate the people that are angry at companies because they are big.. damn you multi nationals <shakeing fist>. The reason they are big is because they are doing something right, people like their products and purchase stuff off them. Why harass companies for providing a service. If you dont like it, then dont goto to it and go give your business to companies you do like.

I am not "angry with them" -I just dont like them. I have headache after 5 minutes in supermarket and I think kfc and mcdonald food is crap -thats it. I would love to shop only at the local market, bakery, fish shop, pharmacy -but who have time and money for this? Not me unfortunately.
    By the way -by calling this thread "boots monopoly" I was thinking not about other boots shop but about how is this possible there is no other shop like it! I dont care -boots or whatever. There should be one for sure in Briarhill, Headford road, West side.

( In economics, a monopoly (from Greek monos / μονος (alone or single) + polein / πωλειν (to sell)) exists when a specific individual or an enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    For me Boots is handy for the 3 for 2 offers on my deodorant. I buy the fcuk stuff so to get one free is great.

*ahem*

I am not "angry with them" -I just dont like them. I have headache after 5 minutes in supermarket and I think kfc and mcdonald food is crap -thats it. I would love to shop only at the local market, bakery, fish shop, pharmacy -but who have time and money for this? Not me unfortunately.
    By the way -by calling this thread "boots monopoly" I was thinking not about other boots shop but about how is this possible there is no other shop like it! I dont care -boots or whatever. There should be one for sure in Briarhill, Headford road, West side.

( In economics, a monopoly (from Greek monos / μονος (alone or single) + polein / πωλειν (to sell)) exists when a specific individual or an enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service)

Yes I know what a monopoly is. However i waspointing my last comment towards you Maja, even though I do see you arguing over at the KFC thread giving out about its food, hell some people like it. But leave the over tehre. I was more directing my comment towards Kodute.

Sure I never been in boots. Might go in there one day now to see all this hocus pocus is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I like Boots.

They are actually one of the "big corporations" that I would approve of. They have proper nice shower gel + I sneak in there on Fridays after work to splash on some aftershave if i'm going for a sneaky after work pint or 3....haha.

No way do they have a monopoly, come on...

But, it is a catchy thread title though, so for that reason, I approve of the definition in this particular case.

I was also thinking first...."What do you mean they sell Monopoly in Boots"

swe_fi wrote: »
    I like Boots.

I sneak in there on Fridays after work to splash on some aftershave if i'm going for a sneaky after work pint or 3....haha.

-good enough reason ;)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ok, am not often in Boots or just the odd time, but was today, by coincidence.
    Firstly (not that is that relevant to this thread but..) every time I go in, or even stand outside!..I get a mad headache from the 'aroma de boots' in there. The smell of chemicals/perfume is mental.. It's the combo of all the products I think.

I was with a friend's Mam, trying to find a particular set of reading glasses. Boots customer service was awful.. One person ignored us, the other said 'we don't do glasses', then number 3 said 'oh we do, they're at the counter' - trip to counter and no such thing.....

The little chemist down the road was very helpful.

O'Beirnes used to be my favourite chemist. Those folks would go above and beyond the call of duty with stuff. The health food shop at the back is now gone, and I believe they have changed management? The little one up at the top of Shop St on the right is great, although their prices vary wildly on different products. Some are a real bargain, some are nuts.
    Yep, it IS hard to buy 'local' where it is the same product in the big shops. But I do try to do it the odd time. The reason a lot of the huge shops can sell at that price is quantity purchase. They can afford to buy huge shipments of products at less wholesale. Very often the local chemist is not necessarily 'ripping off' but just trying to make a mark-up appropriate to their purchase power.

Supporting local may mean taking a leap. We just do what we can if we believe in the bigger picture. We have the power..

Well, I was trying -really , to find any other shop where I could find what I need and I didnt. I am not going to list my "usual chemist shopping" here, but I am not crazy about it, belive me! It's pretty much basics - but specific basics and cant find it anywhere else! :( To do this I would have to visit about 10 small shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

To do this I would have to visit about 10 small shops!

I suppose this is the drawback for some people. If time is an issue, and you have a 9-5 type job, then of course it is hard. Hence 'convenience' store, where you can get everything.

Sometimes it *is* nice to go to 10 different shops, to keep a sense of community. I think that's why a lot of older people all still go to 'little' shops, even though it may or may not cost less.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I suppose this is the drawback for some people. If time is an issue, and you have a 9-5 type job, then of course it is hard. Hence 'convenience' store, where you can get everything.

Sometimes it *is* nice to go to 10 different shops, to keep a sense of community. I think that's why a lot of older people all still go to 'little' shops, even though it may or may not cost less.

I know what you mean, it was lovely time ago to go to seperate local shop - it is still the way it usually works in Poland, but here -its to expensive. :( and time consuming (those shops are not close to each other)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Are ye actively trying to put local people out of business by supporting multinationals and their unsustainable low price practises?
    Boots are ridiculously expensive. I went in looking for some small plastic bottles and they were charging €2.50 for a bottle the size of your thumb (empty). You can find the same stuff for half the price in Dunnes, or two thirds the price in many chemists. They might have some products in there you mightn't find elsewhere, but if you don't shop around you'll probably get ripped off there.

Advertisement