Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots monopoly

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

I hate shopping and wasting my time on looking for single pieces of stuff around , so I will be getting ripped

Xiney wrote: »
    do you know if there will be a tesco petrol station?
    I had a look at the planning application and I don't see a petrol station mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I had a look at the planning application and I don't see a petrol station mentioned.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Tesco will be good for this side of town, Dunnes Briarhill have it too easy! Some competition will be good for us all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

A Tesco would be very welcome on this side, and an Aldi would be handy too!. I don't ask for much but it would cut down on a lot of my cycling. :D

• Advertisement

Actually, a petrol station full stop in doughiska would be handy. Tom Hogan's is annoying to get to from here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Xiney wrote: »
    Actually, a petrol station full stop in doughiska would be handy. Tom Hogan's is annoying to get to from here.

Was chatting to one of the attendants in Tom Hogans a while ago and they said that Tesco WAS getting a petrol station. Even he hoped that petrol prices should go down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

So they will have a petrol station in the Oranmore Tesco then?? Traffic in Oranmore is rightly fecked so.

On the Boots thing, I think a Superdrug would be good for Galway; in terms of expanding choice etc. Of course there are plenty of pharmacies in Galway but a lot of these are small with a limited range. I'd gladly go to a local pharmacy for a prescription but mostly they just don't cut it when it comes to cosmetics.

Back on topic: does this mean there is a gap in the market for a value/volume cosmetics shop?

Back on topic: does this mean there is a gap in the market for a value/volume cosmetics shop?

I'd say so... I mean, I buy premium (some might even call it luxury) makeup but when it comes to things that don't matter (nail varnish remover for example) then yeah - store brand is the way to go.

I actually even use boots brand shampoo - their henna & horsechestnut one is really good or the rosemary & mint for days where I'm feeling particularly greasy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Boots are meant to be coming to Headford Rd near Woodies. Into Chartbusters old unit.

I don't see them doing well there. Much of Boots' business seems to spring from folks wandering in off the street, needing tampax, or something, and spotting a few other necessities/treats. Out at Woodies, you really have to be there for a purpose - going to the cinema, say, or shopping for something for the house.
    Given management's appalling attitude towards motorists, most people I know resent being in that retail park a minute longer than necessary.

Boots is pretty much the number one reason I even visit town during business hours these days, though. I wouldn't underestimate their draw...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I'm not so sure about the idea that Boots is cheaper, maybe a better selection but recently I bought a product for 15 euro cheaper in my local pharmacy. Personally I'd hate to see another Boots, all those teens messing with makeup grate on my nerves at the best of times. My local pharmacist has time to give me good advice. I get all my other items in my grocery shop. Nothing against Boots personally though!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

... My local pharmacist has time to give me good advice. I get all my other items in my grocery shop. Nothing against Boots personally though!

+1

Every cosmetic-ish thing I want, I get the own-brand from Tesco. Ditto for vitamins. Far cheaper than Boots.

The only exception is shampoo, and no one in ROI sells the brand I like: so far I've had friends travelling from overseas bring me large bottles, not sure if I can get it in the north or not. Will face that problem when I run out next, which won't be for some time - and Boots won't be the solution!

There are two pharmacists that I still want to discover in Galway city:
    - the super-careful one who explains every last detail about your prescription, every single time.
    - the super-casual one who doesn't ask any questions at all (good when you know what you're getting and just want a quick transaction).

Boots are half-way in between these, which means I don't like 'em for either purpose at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

JustMary wrote: »
    There are two pharmacists that I still want to discover in Galway city:
    - the super-careful one who explains every last detail about your prescription, every single time.
    - the super-casual one who doesn't ask any questions at all (good when you know what you're getting and just want a quick transaction).

Boots are half-way in between these, which means I don't like 'em for either purpose at all.

Better than the super-nosey ones. I was in a pharmacy a while back, dropped in my prescription and said id pop back in 10minutes for it while I ran other errands. when I came back the girl behind the counter started asking me about where Im from and do i know such and such a one. I didnt even hand her my prescription when i first came in so she obviously went over to look at it and seen my adress(I wasnt local). then she started looking through these photos telling me the person left in the film about 6 months ago and never collected. she said she was looking at them to see if she recognised anyone :eek: though she would have had the contact details for them!
    havent gone back there since!

but on topic - I used to shop in Boots alot but not in last year or so. for prescriptions i find them very expensive though their suncream offer last year was very good i remember. i was shocked to see Dunnes offer this year on it ..buy 1 get one free but 1 bottle was €25. Ive never seen suncream in Boots for €25 a bottle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    I agree,a second Boots would be VERY handy.

Also,another Tesco.
    Planned to have open for Chistmas in oran not bad.

Advertisement