Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking on Accountancy as an eighth subject?

• 29-06-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I have just finished my Junior Cert. and I have been wondering about the feasibility of doing Accounting as an eighth subject. I would be willing to get grinds if needed.

I have a few questions about the subject:
    1. How long is the course, relative to other subjects?
    2. Is there a huge step-up between JC and LC levels?
    3. How demanding is it, as a subject?
    4. Regarding the exam itself, is the timing very tight etc.?
    5. Generally, would you recommend taking it up as an eighth subject?

Any other info would be very welcome. :)

I should be able for it, I'm 99.9% positive I've gotten an A in the Junior Cert, though I didn't do as many Accounting questions as I wished to do. I had a scribe (wrist injury - not permanent) so it wasn't very practical.

My teacher was been pushing me to do Accountancy as one of my 7 subjects in school: he assured me if I did so I'd get an A1. I do like the Accounting part of the JC course so I would like to keep it on.

I would most likely be doing it along with 5 or 6 Higher level subjects (English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, French and/or Irish) and 1 or 2 Ordinary level subjects (Irish and/or French).

Thank you. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

1. The course itself is not long, it's more that you have to get your head aroulnd each type of question and keep re-doing questions.

2. If you were good at Trading, Profit and Loss a/c's and Balance Sheets' it should help, but there is a big step up. The working on questions are much more complicated, but they they just require practice really. And there are many more thypes of Budgets etc. that have nothing to do with Junior Cert.

3. I would say it is very demanding (it was for me anyway). It's very time consuming as each question takes a lot of work

4. The exam for most people is one of the tightest for time. The occasional person can be great at it, but the vast majority find the timing very hard.

5. I think, with grinds, it would be okay. But it is not what's considered an easy subject, so if you're going to do it you really really have to put the work in. If you have an interest in a subject it always makes it easier, so if you really do have an interest then go for it. And after trying it for 5th year you should have an idea whether it's right for you or not, then you can decide whether or not to keep it for 6th year.

Good luck whatever you decide, and if you need help during the next 2 years, I have theory notes and stuff, so just PM me. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I'd agree with the above, but I found it to be a very large course. It was the only subject that we had no time for revision near the end - we had just finished the course in time. Having said that, we covered every single topic in great detail - my accounting teacher was excellent!

I don't think it would be easy to do on your own. Like Maths etc., it is one of those subjects that needs a good teacher to explain it to you.

The JC Bookeeping does not have much influence on the LC course - it is a huge step up. The only thing that might be of benefit is the layout of the trading account, and the balance sheet. Everything else is new. I didn't like the bookeeping for the JC much as it wasn't taught well to me, but I loved Accounting for the LC.

As said above, it is extremely challenging for time. My superintendent had a job trying to coax everybody to stop writing at the end of 3 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itzybitzyfitzy

you will need to put serious time into it.
    it's all about practice
    it takes time to learn methods however once you know what you are doing there is no stopping you.

Advertisement