Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVP vs Tofu

Options
  • 30-06-2010 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Okay so I'm planning on going veggie soon and am currently making a list of staples. I was just wondering which is the better replacement in meat recipes, tofu or TVP? Not only nutritionally and taste-wise but also when it comes to money? Does it differ form recipe to recipe? Also what's the availability of both like in Galway?

Thanks in advance and any other information is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Dehydrated TVP is cheap but you have to flavour it. Same with plain tofu (plain tofu is cheapest in asian supermarkets); now is the time to start playing wtih spices like cumin and paprika from your local asian store, and perhaps soy sauce and maybe tinned tomatoes in the case of TVP. I have some info about health food stores in Galway city centre here, but if you are elsewhere, maybe one of our regular posters can help :) Health food stores would generally have both types available. You can, of coruse, buy flavoured versions of both; e.g. Fry's do mince etc. from TVP and there are plenty of flavoured tofu types in the fridge of our local health food store. These are more expensive but tastier :) But do try everything out; everyone has different favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

now is the time to start playing wtih spices like cumin and paprika from your local asian store
    Just to point out that these are also available, probably cheaper, in most regular supermarkets too ;)

Advertisement