Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

science or mathematical science in ucd?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, Have just done the Leaving. Want to go to UCD. Did Hons. Maths, Physics and Applied Maths in LC along with other hons subjects. I really would like to study these subjects in College so thought Science might be the best choice for me.
    However, I also wonder should I do Mathematical Science? Am really confused. Can't understand the modules etc and the obligatory modules for the different science degrees. How can I ensure that I have a broad choice for Second year while keeping my options open?
    Please help with any advice as I have only tomorrow to mull over this and do my change of mind slip.
    Help.........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

One is a subset of the other

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=75

Plus there is no limit on places into 2nd year Mathematical Science from the Omnibus, assuming you make the grade that is!

If in doubt give the programme office a call, they'll spell out the difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I suppose mathematical science is what all the cool kids are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Miao

n2o,

Thanks very much for the link. very informative. If I want to go the Mathematical Science route after 1st Year, do I have to do all 9 compulsory Mathematical Science modules? How could I squeeze in the 6 other compulsory Physics modules (one overlaps alright with Mathematical Science modules) in order to keep all options open? Can you throw any light on the subject? Change of mind deadline is looming!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Reincarbonated

I'd say go for general science!
    If there are unlimited places for mathematical science, then you'll get in no problem. I did Numbers and Functions as an elective last year, and it's completely different from leaving cert maths. If you find you don't like it, that way you can get out of it.
    You'll probably like the difference, but it comes as a complete shock to the system!
    Oh, and definitely pick Foundations of Physics as a module, it's basically just applied maths!
    Are you sure that physics definitely has 5 compulsory modules?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Numbers & Function and How to Solve It were probably felt like the biggest change from LC maths. The other MATH and MAPH (it's now ACM or something isn't it?) modules seemed like a natural enough progression. Differential and Integral Calculus will even seem over-simplified at first. Numbers & Function and How to Solve It are also among the most interesting modules in my opinion.

There's also Statistics but you may want to avoid it unless you're some sort of soulless demon set upon the Earth to consume the enthusiasm of the living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭n2o

Miao wrote: »
    n2o,

Thanks very much for the link. very informative. If I want to go the Mathematical Science route after 1st Year, do I have to do all 9 compulsory Mathematical Science modules? How could I squeeze in the 6 other compulsory Physics modules (one overlaps alright with Mathematical Science modules) in order to keep all options open? Can you throw any light on the subject? Change of mind deadline is looming!

Cheers!

It certainly looks that way. Judging by this (pages 17 & 24) you're either committed to Maths Sciences or you're not (but I could be wrong!). It's just not the DN008 I remember. :rolleyes:

The doc I've linked to is from the Science Programme Office website. If you're unsure exactly what the requirements are then you're better off contacting them directly rather than asking us internet folk. Either that or contact the Maths Science guys. Actually, scrap that... just talk to the Science Programme Office guys.

Advertisement