Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Advice

Options
  • 30-06-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi,

Before I moved to Macs for processing my photographs I used a custom built PC for a few years. It is used now for general email and internet browsing, Word, Excel etc. It is not used for any intensive graphics anymore.
    Last week it began to display a pink striped overlay on the screen and this is not the first time either. When it did it before I switched the DVI cable to the other port. I suspect that the card is in trouble and needs to be replaced. The card in the PC is a BFG Nvidia 8800GTS OC 640Mb PCIe HDCP. All this is meaningless to me as I read it from the original spec sheet. :)
    I am looking for a replacement card that will do the basics and cost me very little. Once it is good enough for internet and Office apps I am happy.

BTW - Any other suggestions as to the cause of my pink screen??

Thanks in advance,

Anthony.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its likely a sign that the card is dying. Have you reseated the card and reinstalled all display drivers?

If it is in fact a gonner then there is always the baking method. It is a last resort but I have done it successfully on an 8800GTS as well as the GTX below:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Something like a 4350 will be good and not too dear for you if your card is dying.

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-256mb-radeon-hd-4350-pci-e-2-0-6CZD.html

Given what you will be using it for any cheap card with a DVI port will do you just fine. So if you can pick up something even cheaper than above then go for it.

Nothing to be lost from trying Lethal_Bullet's good advice above first though, seriously how often does a man get to bake computer components :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Pandybelly

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. The baking idea sounds interesting/fun. Wifey will be most intrigued to see the oven being turned on.....
    Unfortunately, I am at work and security settings are preventing me seeing Lethal Bullet's attachment. Must check it out at home.

Marco, thanks for the Dabs link, that card should do me fine if my Rachel Allen impersonation fails. :D

Thanks

Anthony.....

Advertisement