Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Information Needed On Adoption?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey I am just looking for some information on adoption my fiance and I have been strongly thinking about it lately. The bought off us are 21 have been together for 5 years. My fiance is sterile we found out a couple of months ago we are devasted with the news as we used to sit and plan our family. So we have been thinking about adoption and I would just like a few questions answered if anybody can .

Is there age restrictions to adopt?

Do we have to be married before we adopt?

Do we need to own our own house before we can adopt?

I would greatly appreciate if anybody can help with these questions will have more to come.

Thank You

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I know you can either be a married couple or a single person.
    So for you the best bet would probably be as a married couple,
    as the other route would mean only one of you are the legal parent.

Other than that, not sure about the house although I can't imagine you
    have to own a house. Especially the way this country is going, people
    are afraid to buy houses. You must prove that you are settled and have
    a stable home to offer a child.

The one thing I know from family members is that it is a lengthy and expensive process.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭lil5

If you want to adopt as a couple you'd have to be married (at least three years) before you can adopt.

You don't necessarily have to own your own house before you can adopt. You will be assessed for suitability as a prospective adoptive parent and one of the criteria is if you can provide for an adopted child.

See extracts below from the Citizens Information website about who can adopt -
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/adoption-and-fostering/adopting_a_child

They also have information about inter-country adoptions -
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/adoption-and-fostering/intercountry_adoption

You can find the HSE info about adoption here -
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Children_and_Family_Services/Adoption_and_Tracing/Adoption/

and here (HSE info intercountry adoption) -
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Children_and_Family_Services/Adoption_and_Tracing/Intercountry_adoption/

Who Can Adopt?
    In Ireland, in order to adopt a child, you must be at least 21 years of age and resident in the State. Where the child is being adopted by a married couple and one of them is the mother or father or a relative of the child, only one of them must have attained the age of 21 years.
    The following persons are eligible to adopt:
    • A married couple living together,
    • A married person alone. The other spouse's consent to adopt must be obtained unless the couple is living apart and separated under a court decree or a deed of separation, or the other spouse has deserted the prospective adoptive parent or the other spouse's conduct has resulted in the prospective adoptive parent, with just cause, leaving the other spouse.
    • The mother, father or relative of the child (relative meaning a grandparent, brother, sister, uncle or aunt of the child and/or the spouse of any such person, the relationship to the child being traced through the mother or the father);
    • A widow or widower
    • A sole applicant who is not in one of the categories listed above may only adopt where the Adoption Board
      is satisfied that, in the particular circumstances of the case, it is desirable. It is not possible for two unmarried persons to adopt jointly.

How to apply?
    If you have an enquiry about adoption in Ireland, contact your Health Service Executive (HSE) Local Health Office or a registered Adoption Society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭xxchloexx

Hi , first of good luck with the adoption process , can i just say that i have a friend who tried to adopt and she said its a very hard process , also you are more than likely going to be given a little polish/russian etc baby as these are the babys that are given up the most. To most people thats no problem but i know my friend wanted an irish child as to her it would make the baby more like "her family" , but also have you considerd fostering ?? i no you are sometimes given a baby only a few months old. My friend from school was fostered when she was only young and although you dont have to stay with the family she said she always taught of them as her real family and so she still lives there now (shes 21 now) but i heard the fostering is alot easier to do than adoption , but good luck with whatever you choose i hope it works out well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hi..
    Not meaning to be confrontational but could I comment on a few points you made...
    xxchloexx wrote: »
    you are more than likely going to be given a little polish/russian etc baby

Children are given to nobody, adoption is a process where children become valued loved family members.
    xxchloexx wrote: »
    my friend wanted an irish child as to her it would make the baby more like "her family"

Families are "like" lots of different things not just "her family", it may be the reason the person was unsuitable for adoption

The adoption process is rigerous for a reason & adoption is not there to settle the needs of a prospective parent..

I would commend you on suggesting fostering as an option but would suggest that it is no "easy" option compared to adoption.

My suggestion to OP is to gather the information on adoption/fostering and then make their decision together.. best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lawman24

The first piece of advice is to register straight away with your HSE. This process takes ages and you can pull out at any stage if you change your mind but resgister tomorrow.

There are very few (if any) Irish children available so you are most likely to end up going for foreign adoption.

Legally there are no longer any age restrictions but they very much look for a stable family to give the child to. Therefore you are at a HUGE disadvantage being so young, unmarried and not owning your own home.

They are looking for stability all the time (if you were giving your own child up for adoption would you be happy to give it to 2 unmarried Americans, early twenties, renting a flat? or two settled and married Americans in their late thirties, two kids already and living in the leafy suburbs?).

If I was you I would register, do the course, do the assessment and if I failed the assessment I would come back to them each year for assessment until they cracked.

Also get your life to look as stable as possible. They are happy if you are renting a place so long as you don't keep moving, same with your jobs.

Good luck from an adoptive dad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Bbam - Thank you for pointing out those points

Advertisement