Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dilema

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭

Hi. Just started a new job last week. Anyway, was meant to finish my shift at 6 today but was asked by a colleague to cover his shift from 7.30 onto 11. Anyway, he told me not to mention this is our supervisor as he says he'd get in trouble. However, I would need to mention it to make sure I get paid as I haven't been clocking in and out yet (system broken, arrived early and stayed late everyday though) and have been told to record the hours I work. I wouldn't mind but I wasn't even trained for this evening shift and ended up working till around half 11. The guy who asked me to cover has been working there three years and has a dodgy disciplinary record...according to himself....so should I just tell my supervisor outright that I worked the hours for yer man? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You should always tell if you're doing a shift swap, it wreck havoc if not since the manager has no clue who's been in when (and then there are the scheduling laws about rest etc. coming in to play as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

sounds like someone taking advantage of the new guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Nody wrote: »
    You should always tell if you're doing a shift swap, it wreck havoc if not since the manager has no clue who's been in when (and then there are the scheduling laws about rest etc. coming in to play as well).
    Ya I was basically on my feet non-stop for 11 hours and wrecked afterwards so feel like I deserve to get that pay.
    sounds like someone taking advantage of the new guy
    Hmm that's what my friends who work there said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

K4t wrote: »
    Ya I was basically on my feet non-stop for 11 hours and wrecked afterwards so feel like I deserve to get that pay.

Hmm that's what my friends who work there said.

He might have gotten paid for it so demand payment or you will talk to management. Dont let him away with it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You worked those hours - therefore you should get paid for those hours. Let your manager know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

If he has a dogey disaplinary record hes probably done it before...and will probably do it again. Tell your manager Its the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

How do you expect to get paid for the shift if management aren't aware you did it?

I would have no qualms about letting them know you did it but be careful there probably is a procedure to swap shifts that has to be cleared by management and you and your colleague have obviously not followed this.

Advertisement