Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broadband question

• 30-06-2010 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm moving into a house in bray later in the week and want to get my braodband sorted out for it, only problem being I have no idea what the technical talk means (speeds, limits etc)

I'd need the internet for regular online gaming (xbox and ps3) as well as my laptop- I wouldn't be downloading much, the odd thing every so often, and I like the stream the odd show every so often.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me? I was looking at maybe the O2 broadband in a box? I'm sorry to ask but I'm really just so confused!

Or if anyone can suggest a website that can explain the terms to me in idiot-proof instructions, that would really help!

Thank you if anyone can help out, sorry to ask!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Pig in a box would be more like it forget 02, you need fixed line or cable broadband for the x360, try UPC you maybe able get your tv & broadband together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

Damm, O2 seemed like such an easy option.
    UPC say they don't cover Bray, what about Wimax, are they good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Chorus/NTL? You could try some of the fixed line operators, Eircom, Digiweb?

Haven't used wimax, can't comments but none of the mobile broadband providers can give you a good enough service for online gaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

If you're going to be gaming and using a laptop or whatever at the same time save yourself the stress/frustration and get more than 1MB :)
    3 or 5 MB would be perfect

From my expierence I'd say avoid '3' and their service.
    I'm on eircom and think they're okay
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

I live in the southern cross road and use vodafone land line, i think the deal is now 7 mb line for 40 a month that includes line rental might be cheaper now as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭iamfromcork

Avoid 3 full of sh*t stupid F*ckers and their service is worse ,stuck with the bloody wireless broadband thing in contract til november and it hardly ever works and when it does your lucky to get better than dial up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If you don't want hassle of getting Eircom or Vodafone (and paying line rental) this could be a good option. http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Give Magnet a skip. I'm currently in a 3.5 day loss of service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Gautama wrote: »
    Give Magnet a skip. I'm currently in a 3.5 day loss of service.

That's not representative and may even be beyond their control.

Unfair & unreasonable comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Avoid 3 full of sh*t stupid F*ckers and their service is worse ,stuck with the bloody wireless broadband thing in contract til november and it hardly ever works and when it does your lucky to get better than dial up.

thats why you should not enter contracts with mobile broadband!!
    service can be ok then i can go to ****3 after a while when more people sign up so best to stay with the pre pay !!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement