Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Habit

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

Ive been smoking for around 15 years, ive never been a really heavy smoker, but im very habitual. I smoke around 15-20 0.1's (same content as silk cut silver/ultra) a day. Ive tried giving up before, and used nicotine patches. The patches worked for me as i wasnt dependant on huge amounts of nicotine.

my problem was the habit, i have (as most, if not all smokers do) cetain times during the day when i have one. After meals, in the morning waiting for the train, any kind of waiting actually, etc. So everyday i was off them, anytime one of those times would come along it would be hell.

What did all ye ex-smokers do during these times? chewing gum? nuts? chew your left arm off?

Im seriously thinking of giving up again, hopefully for good, and this will be my biggest stumbling block. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I'm smoked my last cig on the 31st of May. I started cycling in the middle of May and that really contributed to the giving up. When I got really bad cravings at the start I'd jump on my bike and do a lap of Howth. In work chewing gum and mandarin oranges helped me get through the worst of them.

Cannot recommend excersise enough though. I wouldnt have given up without it and you'll find if you read a few of the other threads here that a lot of others did it the same way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pento

im using those niquitn mints for bad cravings, they work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

yeah ive started exercising, and thats one of the main reasons im quitting. i feel great after a workout, then i go have a fag and it just ruins it.

Im thinking of going cold turkey this time, just want the nicotine out of me, to be rid of it altogether so im not gonna use nicotine gum/mints. I was thinking of getting a HUGE pack of tic-tacs and just carrying it around with me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Ever hear of Allan Carr - easyway to quit smoking??

If your into reading give it a shot!! Ive been on & off the smokes a number of times. This method alters peoples views on smoking. Strnage that it actaully goes against what soem of you have mentioned...it says avoid substitutes ets. Plus, you smoke while you read it which is weird.
    Im off the smokes a week & a half & doing great...

http://www.eason.ie/look/9780141904443/Allen-Carr-s-Easy-Way-to-Stop-Smoking

Im not trying to sell ya the book by the way! I recommend it though as its the best method i have found for getting clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭darrenon

I gave up 8 years ago.I was smoking 20 or more a day, smoking most when sitting in traffic.

I went cold turkey, I think its the only way to do it.Id buy the big tube of jellies and eat them in traffic while twirling my thumbs, one offer the other. In work Id go through loads of chewing gum but that makes you hungry. At home I used to go jogging and on bad days sprinting.:D:D

JELLIES really made all the difference to me.;)

All the best with it, it really is life changing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Mackman, I also quit using the Allen Carr method (nice one Mr Yellow!).

Been "clean" 18 days now, and while I wouldn't call it "Easy", it has most definitely not been hard. It won't work for everyone (I failed miserably on my first attempt), but it's been so good for me, I can only recommend smokers at least give it a read.

Mackman, I also quit using the Allen Carr method (nice one Mr Yellow!).

Been "clean" 18 days now, and while I wouldn't call it "Easy", it has most definitely not been hard. It won't work for everyone (I failed miserably on my first attempt), but it's been so good for me, I can only recommend smokers at least give it a read.

I think it depends on the individual & how you are exposed to smokers once you have stopped! Its too easy to slip but always remember why you stopped. It must be the 3rd time i've read the book now :eek:
    Scare tactics dont work, plus you aint GIVING UP anything, you are regaining your life from an addicton.

Best wishes with it folks, you are not alone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    It must be the 3rd time i've read the book now
    Heh heh, read it a couple of times myself, and then listened to the audio book a few times as well. All worth it to be free. And as you rightly say, we give nothing up by stopping, but we gain so much!

So Mackman, did ya take the plunge over from the dark side yet? Go for it man, you have nothing to lose & plenty to gain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭NavanEPS

Hi Mackman
    I was a heavy smoker but used hypnotism and it has worked!
    You stilll have to go through the physical cravings (nicotine addiction), which have been difficult for me, but it totally reduced the "WANTS"
    For me it has taken away the WANTs :-
    I want to smoke,
    I want to have one after my tea,
    I want to have one cause I have just got off the phone
    I want to have one cause it is break time
    I want to feel the smoke being inhaled
    I want to have something in my hand

I don't WANT any of the above but the NEED for nicotine was great. However 2 weeks in now and feeling great. I get about 3 or 4 cravings a day that now last about 5-10 minutes each. so not so bad considering I have smoked for over 25 years.
    I used Derek Cobbe in Longford (don't mean to advertise but... it worked for me)
    Good Luck MackMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    So Mackman, did ya take the plunge over from the dark side yet? Go for it man, you have nothing to lose & plenty to gain...

I sure did, off them 2 and a half weeks now :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67025710#post67025710

Thats great man, good for you! Just rememebr how fresh & good ya feel inthe morn. We all quit for our own reasons, just dont forget your reasons...
    Best wishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 2010posh

Hi all, I have read Allen Carr book and attended one of the clinics, still struggling, keep feeling miserable and that I'm missing something. Have been off the cigerattes a couple of weeks then I smoke for a week then off again. This time i want to stay stopped. Any hints you can give me please. Really want to stop this time and feel good. Just dont feel very positive at all

Advertisement