Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Mature Student Medicine Offers

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi Everyone!

I know I was told at the interview that successful applicants will be notified by the CAO in August but was just wondering if anyone knows do RCSI informally let successful applicants know they've been accepted prior to August??
    Would it even be appropriate to contact them to ask?
    The waiting is killing me!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would call them up and find out. No harm.

You're title reads wrong though. RCSI don't take mature student applicants, only graduate applicants. A peeve of mine! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 acfan

They are taking mature applicants this year.....I'm ineligible for graduate entry :(
    Thank you for your reply though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

ooh let us know how you get on acfan! best of luck :)

Wow! My mistake. I did not know this. That is great news! :) Do you know if it's just for Medicine or Pharmacy and Physiotherapy as well?

Thanks Jessibelle! Any word on your end yet??

• Advertisement

Just for med this year, (they're taking on 15 students) but plans to open to mature students for the other courses from next year. Least thats what the registrar told me :o

Larianne wrote: »
    Wow! My mistake. I did not know this. That is great news! :) Do you know if it's just for Medicine or Pharmacy and Physiotherapy as well?

Its about time they started taking mature applicants! They're allocated 15 places this year for the 'mature entry pathway'
    I'm not entirely sure if they are doing it for Pharmacy and Physiotherapy as well....I don't think so.....think they are just testing the waters with medicine!

acfan wrote: »
    Thanks Jessibelle! Any word on your end yet??

I'm shortlisted for one, missed out by 3 places on another and am terrified to ring RCSI cause I'm an emotional coward :rolleyes: (therefore want you to do my dirty work for me please and thank you :p)

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Just for med this year, (they're taking on 15 students) but plans to open to mature students for the other courses from next year. Least thats what the registrar told me :o

Thanks for that! Why they haven't before I don't know!?!?!

Thanks for that! Why they haven't before I don't know!?!?!

If I was in any way cynical, the current recession and the €15k+ a year fees would possibly cross my mind, but only if I was cynical....:p

• Advertisement

I'm shortlisted for one, missed out by 3 places on another and am terrified to ring RCSI cause I'm an emotional coward :rolleyes: (therefore want you to do my dirty work for me please and thank you :p)
    Wow Congrats! Thats fantastic! I think I might just call RCSI......the anticipation is absolutely killing me! How did you find the interview?

If I was in any way cynical, the current recession and the €15k+ a year fees would possibly cross my mind, but only if I was cynical....:p
    My sentiments exactly! :p

Easily one of the weirdest I had, they were lovely lovely people, but in the first room, the first interviewer was raving about my time management skills and didn't let me speak for about 5 min, in the second I'd two registrars just off shift about 6 hours, who wanted to talk about my hobbies (Airsoft), my family (some are involved in the medical field) and did I know the difference between a regional and inner city hospital. Still, even if I didn't get it, I left that interview feeling fabulous about myself :D

How was yours??

I had a very similar experience! I thought everyone was lovely but I found the two registrars to be really funny....they kinda just wanted to have a chat about life! It was not what I expected at all. Fingers crossed we'll both get in :D

acfan wrote: »
    I had a very similar experience! I thought everyone was lovely but I found the two registrars to be really funny....they kinda just wanted to have a chat about life! It was not what I expected at all. Fingers crossed we'll both get in :D

Oh in this year or the next I shall have my admissions :D (I had a touch of the Gladiator syndrome earlier in the year and it flares up every now n then), and yes, hopefully, then we can huddle in the corner and gasp in awe at the really really smart 18 year olds:eek:

Oh in this year or the next I shall have my admissions :D (I had a touch of the Gladiator syndrome earlier in the year and it flares up every now n then), and yes, hopefully, then we can huddle in the corner and gasp in awe at the really really smart 18 year olds:eek:

They're not really really smart. They are just good at learning off essays. :rolleyes:

:pac:

Best of luck you guys!! Not long now!

Sounds like a plan !! Seems we have the same attitude to this!:D It will most definitely be this year or next year...preferably this year! I'll let you know how I get on with contacting RCSI....that is if I can work up the courage to call them!:eek:

They're not really really smart. They are just good at learning off essays. :rolleyes:

Thanks Larianne! :)

Ta kindly :D
    I was planning on crushing them with life experience but essays are good too....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 jeanie123

Hi in relation to mature student entry to RSCI for Medicine- I rang them last year and was told that I had to have the matriculation requirements plus the points requirements (480) in the same sitting of the leaving certificate? Is this the case? I have both but across two leaving certificates so on that basis was told I was not eligible to apply, I had lots of relevant work experience though. UCD would not let me apply at all as already a graduate. I did sit the HPAT though this year? Is there any point in applying for next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭seniorolaighin

I hope ye have a realistic view and knowledge of what these courses entail and beyond this what working life in the irish health care service as doctor is like - tough and unthankful.

jeanie123 wrote: »
    Hi in relation to mature student entry to RSCI for Medicine- I rang them last year and was told that I had to have the matriculation requirements plus the points requirements (480) in the same sitting of the leaving certificate? Is this the case? I have both but across two leaving certificates so on that basis was told I was not eligible to apply, I had lots of relevant work experience though. UCD would not let me apply at all as already a graduate. I did sit the HPAT though this year? Is there any point in applying for next year?

There is, they do take work experience into account quite considerably, and, afaik (though I'd check this to be 100%) the 480 points in the Leaving are not as important if you're a graduate applying as a mature student. The matriculation requirements though (ie a c in a lab science or a c in maths or whatever) do all have to be satisfied in the same sitting for some reason. :confused:
    UCD, and RCSI (I think UCC also but not 100%) won't let you apply as a mature student/undergrad if you reach the requirements for the Grad entry program (ie 2:1 degree or above in any discipline) but if you don't qualify for that, they can't stop you applying as a mature/undergrad, so fire applications in there too :) If you've any more questions, sure drop me a pm and if I can answer them I will :)

I hope ye have a realistic view and knowledge of what these courses entail and beyond this what working life in the irish health care service as doctor is like - tough and unthankful.

Do you really think that we would spend so much time, money and energy applying to such a course without appropriately arming ourselves?!?! Its ridiculous to think that someone would return to college as a mature student to study for 5/6 years and pay crazy money to do it without properly informing themselves in advance of what the course and the job itself would be like. I find your comment deeply insulting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Oh really? Aptitude in a test like the HPAT is the same thing as learning off essays? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

Hi - I realise this thread has been inactive for a while but I wonder if anybody can help me, particularily afcan and Jessibelle, thats presuming you guys got offers from RCSI. I sat the HPAT this year and have applied to RCSI. Hopefully, I will get an interview. Unfortunately due to current (non-medical) work pressures I haven't had a lot of time to work on getting some experience through voluntary work. I need to get on top of this asap so I am looking for the best place to get experience that would help my application to RCSI. I am based in Dublin and any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Hey Traderdc!
    Acfan got in :D I didn't but I'm possibly maybe reapplying this year ;) Best and easiest place I found for experience are the Mater/James and James Connolly hspitals, in that they all processed my applications really quickly. There was a 3 week delay in one though for a garda check. I also help out in my local nursing home and daycare centre which was arranged through just ringing and asking.
    Good Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

Thanks for the reply Jessibelle and better luck next time if you do reapply. I will contact those hospitals and give it a go. Did you find the experience useful? What was it that you were doing and were you volunteering for long in the hospitals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Am surprised they let people do work experience in the hospitals??! I studied medicine in university, and I'm not allowed in to do work experience as a medical social worker? How did you get in to do work experience JessieBelle?

And gardai clearance takes about 6 months at the moment, not 3 weeks.

Traderdc, If you really want to impress there's a gp called Austin O'Carroll who runs a homeless persons clinic during the week.He is also the director of the Dublin city GP training scheme. Send him an email and inquire about doing voluntary work with him.

I arranged the experience through the volenteer organisations in the hospitals, just rang up the hospitals themselves and they sent out forms etc to be filled. I will have to admit though I've been doing it for nearly 3 years now, so the garda checking could easily take a lot longer. The volenteer organisations are still there though. You start off in a general visting capacity, i.e you visit patients who may not have many vistrs/family, run small errands and organise/run ward entertainment events and for me anyways it developed on from that.
    As a total aside, how're you finding the sw going Panda??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 footie10

Hey,have been invited to apply for a place in RCSI Medicine...any pointers on application (CV, references required, personal statement etc..) be helpful and anyone who has done the interview and has any info on that would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Also as invite based on HPAT scores anyone know the cutoff score for that??

Advertisement