Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Mature Student Medicine Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

salmck wrote: »
    hey hollingr,

Was just wondering how people are funding the 5yrs without the same loan scheme that is set up for the GEM's?
    I know some people will have the funds from their parents.. but was wondering if anyone who hasnt, has managed to secure a loan from the banks? and if so who!?

I've read some of the threads on this from previous years..and it looks pretty scary..so was just wondering if anyone on this thread has had any luck..?

You'll need a very strong guarantor for a loan of that size, in this economic climate. If you're completely on your own, with no collateral or stable finances/income, it's mighty tricky indeed.

Best you can do is try and at least pay for the 1st year and go from there.. It's not going to be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

yeah the banks can be fairly clueless as to what you mean as well. do your research before you go to them and DONT try to sort things on the phone they are no help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 salmck

Thanks guys... yeh fingers crossed i can sort something by august!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

hi guys :-)

Just a group i found if any of ye are on facebook http://www.facebook.com/groups/197582560353941/?ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SeeTea

Just a quick question for anyone -

I am on the waiting list for RCSI, and when I rang them up to find out what exactly this meant, the girl told me that some people might decide to go different routes, i.e. graduate entry (easier loan facilities, etc.). She told me some people were sitting on a boarder line GAMSAT score, and that they needed to see if they could get in the graduate entry route.
    It was always my understanding though, that if you were eligible for GEM, then you were not ablt to apply via Undergraduate as a mature student. Did anyone else think this? Or am I mixing myself up..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

SeeTea wrote: »

I am on the waiting list for RCSI, and when I rang them up to find out what exactly this meant, the girl told me that some people might decide to go different routes, i.e. graduate entry (easier loan facilities, etc.). She told me some people were sitting on a boarder line GAMSAT score, and that they needed to see if they could get in the graduate entry route.
    It was always my understanding though, that if you were eligible for GEM, then you were not ablt to apply via Undergraduate as a mature student. Did anyone else think this? Or am I mixing myself up..?

Hey SeeTea, As far as I know, it depends on the school as to how they want to do it. UCD and UCC (I think) automatically put you down the Grad route if you qualify for it, TCD doesn't have a grad course so you could have a PHD and still be mixed in with the undergrad applicants, I'm not sure about NUIG, UL only take grad students, and I do know of some folk in RCSI who would have qualified for grad entry elsewhere (on GAMSAT points) but who decided to go the undergrad route for various reasons. I know that's not much help by ways of definitive information though :o

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Jessibelle wrote: »
    Hey SeeTea, As far as I know, it depends on the school as to how they want to do it. UCD and UCC (I think) automatically put you down the Grad route if you qualify for it, TCD doesn't have a grad course so you could have a PHD and still be mixed in with the undergrad applicants, I'm not sure about NUIG, UL only take grad students, and I do know of some folk in RCSI who would have qualified for grad entry elsewhere (on GAMSAT points) but who decided to go the undergrad route for various reasons. I know that's not much help by ways of definitive information though :o
    SeeTea wrote: »

Jessibelle is correct - UCD steers applicants who are eligible for Grad Med to that course. TCD does not. NUIG does not accept mature applicants.

RCSI has the largest intake of mature students. Graduate entry has better loan facilities in place, but people may also be offered just normal undergraduate entry places based on LC and HPAT, or places nearer to where they live. I know it must be nerve wracking but there can be some movement even till just before college starts.

Thanks Abby19 and Jessibelle!! Was just wondering incase the woman in RCSI had it wrong and turned out that the ones on the borderline couldn't be offered GEM places..it's SO nerve wracking!!! And I have also heard of places being offered 2 weeks into the start of the course! I wouldn't mind that though, once I got an offer!
    Hopefully something will come my way

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

also seetea there is people like me that might get in off their leaving cert points - i'm sitting on 737, keep an ear to the ground when the cao offers come out too! if the points don't come up too much I can insist they give you my mature spot! :p

hollingr wrote: »
    also seetea there is people like me that might get in off their leaving cert points - i'm sitting on 737, keep an ear to the ground when the cao offers come out too! if the points don't come up too much I can insist they give you my mature spot! :p

Hahaha, thanks Hollingr!! You obviously received my bribe in the post then :p ...that's true aswell, I forgot about the LC route too. Hopefully there will be some people getting in that way too.
    So, do you have to send in a deposit before you hear about CAO results?? How does that work then? Can the money be transferred towards paying your LC route fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 wild_swan

Hi - just a question for those who have applied from the mature students route. What is your background? Are the majority of people who get accepted in this way science grads? Just wondering is there any hope for an arts graduate in applying this way? Also for those who don't come from a healthcare background - what type of work experience / voluntary work etc would be good to get to help your application? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Hey

I'm a radiography graduate who got in this year but i know of people from a range of different backgrounds who've also gained entry this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Im an Arts Graduate - English and Media - I didnt get in this year but as long as you meet matriculation requirements I doubt it matters about your background

A decent HPAT/GAMSAT score and your a good way there.

Experience wise - I had a few months shadowing in hospitals (Cardio and Respiratory) and 6 months in a care home.

wild_swan wrote: »
    Hi - just a question for those who have applied from the mature students route. What is your background? Are the majority of people who get accepted in this way science grads? Just wondering is there any hope for an arts graduate in applying this way? Also for those who don't come from a healthcare background - what type of work experience / voluntary work etc would be good to get to help your application? Thanks

I've come from a general Science background, but didn't get an offer in the first round of offers. I'm praying someone turns down an offer and then I may be re-considered. I really don't think it matters what your background is, education-wise.

I am an engineer - and yes there are probably more science-y graduates, but there are also arts graduates. Remember the reason they spouted for the introduction of the HPAT was for well rounded individuals. And they've introduced humanities modules in first med in Trinity. You may need to show you have the ability to change to a science based degree. And probably be able to show a logical progression from your earlier choices to now applying for medicine.

I know of other mature meds from engineering, pharmacy, physiotherapy, radiography, chemistry, accountancy, chartered accountancy, medical social worker, neuroscience, psychology, EMT, some who worked in pharma companies, some who worked in medical labs. We're a mixed bag, yes probably favours a science background, but not exclusively. It also depends on your HPAT result and your application itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

I'm from an occupational therapy background and i got in this year. But I think that they are looking for rounded people generally. I wouldn't loose hope they are looking for people with drive and passion for medicine if you have that they will see it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

Hi all,

I am applying for 2013 entry into medicine. I'm just wondering about all these extras people have on their application form.
    Just wondering if I have enough in the way of experience? I am a qualified nurse I know this statement seems like a ridiculous follow up to that question, but I want to show that I've sought experiences outside of the opportunities nursing offered me. I have done three separate sets of work experience in three Dublin hospitals, I've attended a week long course aimed at med students in Manchester, I've helped arrange said course in Manchester the following year, I have attended every mini med school RCSI has ever ran, I was a regional advisor for the Lancet Student, I was a features editor for a student run research journal, I have volunteer work with Brainwave and starting in September I will be working with a childrens charity.
    On top of this I have all my unpaid and paid work experience from my nursing course in all areas of medicine. I worked for 6 months post grad in an acute care unit and now I am working in a nursing home. I also worked as a healthcare assistant throughout my nursing course.
    I was a class rep and wrote for the college paper. I have also been asked to get involved with arranging summer schools for nurses and to help write a book for student nurses.
    Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances?? I am not listing things here to make anyone else feel bad if they have done less, it is just everyone I read about seems to have done so much more and are practically ready for sainthood! I'd really appreciate any advice!

Hi all,

I am applying for 2013 entry into medicine. I'm just wondering about all these extras people have on their application form.
    Just wondering if I have enough in the way of experience? I am a qualified nurse I know this statement seems like a ridiculous follow up to that question, but I want to show that I've sought experiences outside of the opportunities nursing offered me. I have done three separate sets of work experience in three Dublin hospitals, I've attended a week long course aimed at med students in Manchester, I've helped arrange said course in Manchester the following year, I have attended every mini med school RCSI has ever ran, I was a regional advisor for the Lancet Student, I was a features editor for a student run research journal, I have volunteer work with Brainwave and starting in September I will be working with a childrens charity.
    On top of this I have all my unpaid and paid work experience from my nursing course in all areas of medicine. I worked for 6 months post grad in an acute care unit and now I am working in a nursing home. I also worked as a healthcare assistant throughout my nursing course.
    I was a class rep and wrote for the college paper. I have also been asked to get involved with arranging summer schools for nurses and to help write a book for student nurses.
    Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances?? I am not listing things here to make anyone else feel bad if they have done less, it is just everyone I read about seems to have done so much more and are practically ready for sainthood! I'd really appreciate any advice!

Sounds like you should start polishing your halo yourself!
    I would advise you to read through the various threads that give advice on preparing your application. Larianne posted a very good one somewhere.
    Then if you wish I'll cast my eye over it, feel free to PM me.

EternalGeek - Looking at all that I wonder why I bother applying at all being up against that!:eek:

It must be your results or statement thats letting you down, theres no way they could fault that experience.

Have you explained clearly WHY you want to move from Nursing?Whats the difference for you between Doctor/Nurse? Why dont you think Nursing is for you but Doctoring is? ETC

it is just everyone I read about seems to have done so much more and are practically ready for sainthood! I'd really appreciate any advice!

Also WHAT?! Who has so much more than you?? This is ridiculous. You have TONS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

wild_swan wrote: »

Just finished up first year in RCSI, and off the top of my head the matures are two business and law grads, a law grad, an electronic engineer, an accountant, two nurses, a pharmacist, a BESS grad, an economics grad, a physio, a commerce grad, a medicinal chemistry grad and biochemist.....a very mixed bunch.
    We all did some work experience, some loads, some a bit. I think that an Arts graduate may not be enough, unless you have chemistry/biology at leaving cert/A-level. It is the solid grounding that you will need, even for premed. As for work experience, i volunteered at a hospice for a couple of hours one day a week and spent the occasional afternoon at a GP practice sitting in on consultations.......which can be blagged about hugely on an application(one afternoon a week in a GPs for three months is threes months shadowing a GP in spiel ;) )
    Its all about selling yourself, talking to people in the know and ticking the boxes that they look for on any application.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sunnygrl

So what are the boxes that needs to be ticked? What do you need to do extra or say extra to sell yourself?
    So far it looks like
    - meeting leaving cert requirements
    - good hpat score (how good?)
    - work experience/shadowing/volunteering
    - some basis in science subjects

What else?

I can't remember how to thank someone on boards :rolleyes: but thank you Fairytale Girl and Joey!!

Abby, thanks a million, I would appreciate that so much :):):)

Fairytale girl, I actually haven't applied as a mature student before as I only turned 23 last month , so my only experience with personal statements has been through ucas. Plus I only did nursing to help me get into medicine later. As for the difference for me between being a nurse and a doctor, I don't think anybody who really wants to be a nurse would be scrubbed into a procedure and all they can think is 'I wish they'd let me have a go...' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Sunnygrl wrote: »
    So what are the boxes that needs to be ticked? What do you need to do extra or say extra to sell yourself?
    So far it looks like
    - meeting leaving cert requirements
    - good hpat score (how good?)
    - work experience/shadowing/volunteering
    - some basis in science subjects

What else?

Well, being a mature student is hard, the majority will be broke, watching your friends move on with their lives,buying nice cars, booking nice hols etc....you have to show that you understand this, this is a huge sacrifice financially and a huge sacrifice in other aspects of your life. You have to show that you know this and your ready for it. You do this by showing you've done the work experience, you've thought out the finances(no college wants to hear you'll HOPEFULLY get a loan, so sit down research finance and really consider all expenses.) and you've given serious consideration to studying for 5/6 years again, surrounded by 19 year olds whos hangovers last less than an hour and being taught by people who are younger than you.
    I suppose what i'm trying to say is really sit down and think about it, then submit an application which shows you've done that and your prepared for the sacrifice. But make sure its not doom and gloom( which it isnt...I love being back doing what i've always dreamed of doing...except at 2am the night before an exam) and that you are really looking forward to the challenge. Open days are a must, be there and say you were there, I was asked my opinion on RCSI's open day and was it beneficial, colleges really put alot of effort into them. Its five years very hard work with a very tough career after your done....show them you know that and your up to the task.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Sunnygrl

Thanks! I suppose my personal statement can use a bit of tweaking - I was trying very hard to show motivation, but spent little time on the rest.

Excellent post, thanks Hollingr!

Everything I have seen and heard definitely backs up what you are saying!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

[QUOTE=Can't comment on Galway/Cork since I didn't apply there, but I'm guessing they are at least slightly easier to get into than the Dublin colleges just based on numbers .[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately NUIG only accept cao applicants, don't know about Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Brilliant post Hollingr. It should really be stickied somewhere!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hollingrs excellent post moved to 'Tips on Applying as a Mature Student'

• Advertisement

Hi all!

Just wondering, for the people who were offered places this year, did RCSI ask you to put down a deposit to secure your place? If sO, how much was it for? (if yous dont mind me asking, of course!) And, did they detail anything about how they want you to pay the rest of the fees? Like, do they want the full fees upfront? Or can you pay it in installments, or twice a year?

:)

Advertisement