Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Mature Student Medicine Offers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Deposit is 1500 euro. I think they want half the total fees paid by the 1st August. And i think the full fees have to be paid before you are fully registered on the course.
    SeeTea wrote: »
    Hi all!

Just wondering, for the people who were offered places this year, did RCSI ask you to put down a deposit to secure your place? If sO, how much was it for? (if yous dont mind me asking, of course!) And, did they detail anything about how they want you to pay the rest of the fees? Like, do they want the full fees upfront? Or can you pay it in installments, or twice a year?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SeeTea

Cheers for that speeding! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 downthecountry

OK I have been following this thread for a while now so I have decided to join boards.ie...
    Would be gratefull if anyone could tell me how competitive/difficult it is to get into medicine via the mature entry route as I am strongly thinking of applying to TCD and RCSI before feb 1st.

I applied to human health and disease degree in Trinity 2 years ago and I offered a place after interview but subsequently declined the offer because I am quiet determined to study medicine...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

This is my first post ever...so go easy,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

OK I have been following this thread for a while now so I have decided to join boards.ie...
    Would be gratefull if anyone could tell me how competitive/difficult it is to get into medicine via the mature entry route as I am strongly thinking of applying to TCD and RCSI before feb 1st.

I applied to human health and disease degree in Trinity 2 years ago and I offered a place after interview but subsequently declined the offer because I am quiet determined to study medicine...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...

This is my first post ever...so go easy,,,

It is competitive and difficult, but not impossible (I got in :rolleyes:). You have loads of time to optimise your application. There is a lot of advice in some of the stickies at the top of this thread. There is also some relevant info under Science-Health Sciences-Health Sciences Education thread.

The HPAT result appears to be used as a screen as well, so do familiarise yourself with the format - do past sample papers. There are a lot of posts on prep courses - I can't say I didn't do one.

Also make sure you meet the matriculation requirements, the two sciences and certain grades, etc. As you would have time to sit them next year if required. For Matures you still need them, but not in the one sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 downthecountry

Thanks a million Abby19

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Just got a rejection from UDC on Mature Grounds. Bummer! I defs dont have a chance going in with points or whatever. I suspected Id been unsuccessful this year anyway - but reading a definite rejection sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Just got a rejection from UDC on Mature Grounds. Bummer! I defs dont have a chance going in with points or whatever. I suspected Id been unsuccessful this year anyway - but reading a definite rejection sucks.

If you haven't already, ask them for feedback, I found them very good for details the first time round and it did help my application second time round. you may have to follow up though if they don't get back to you within a week or so :)

Anyone hear any unusual noises at about 14:30 yesterday?? A huge scream that lasted for about 10 mins??? Anyone's windows break or glasses???
    Well that scream was me...

I GOT AN OFFER IN RCSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually couldn't believe it - still don't to be honest!

Persistance pays off, so to anyone not successful this year DEFINITELY don't give up hope! Right now next year seems so far away, but it's not! Use what you've learned from this thread and others to change/improve your application. When I was rejected the first time, it made me all the more focused on what I needed to do to get to where I wanted to be. And now, the way I feel is incredible! Do you know that feeling you get when you've been away for a few months/weeks? You feel dirty, and yuck but then you have a shower and sit on your own couch or go to sleep in your own bed? That feeling of "ahhhhh" is what I have right now, and all the hard work over the last few years has been worth it!!!!:):) keep going with applying and don't give up!!! You never know how close you may have been to getting an offer/interview!!!
    This thread has been such a lifesaver!!!!

I actually can't get my head around it!!!!:O

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭spacecat

SeeTea, I am so so so happy for you!!! I truly am :D:D.

We have been on the same journey over the last few months and it makes me smile to see you got where you should be. I am on a 'waiting list', which is not an offer but not a 'no' ;).

Best of luck hun and enjoy your summer.:)

SeeTea wrote: »
    Anyone hear any unusual noises at about 14:30 yesterday?? A huge scream that lasted for about 10 mins??? Anyone's windows break or glasses???
    Well that scream was me...

I GOT AN OFFER IN RCSI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually couldn't believe it - still don't to be honest!

Persistance pays off, so to anyone not successful this year DEFINITELY don't give up hope! Right now next year seems so far away, but it's not! Use what you've learned from this thread and others to change/improve your application. When I was rejected the first time, it made me all the more focused on what I needed to do to get to where I wanted to be. And now, the way I feel is incredible! Do you know that feeling you get when you've been away for a few months/weeks? You feel dirty, and yuck but then you have a shower and sit on your own couch or go to sleep in your own bed? That feeling of "ahhhhh" is what I have right now, and all the hard work over the last few years has been worth it!!!!:):) keep going with applying and don't give up!!! You never know how close you may have been to getting an offer/interview!!!
    This thread has been such a lifesaver!!!!

I actually can't get my head around it!!!!:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Congrats SeaTea!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭EternalGeek

FAB NEWS!!!!!!! Well done SeeTea :D

Well done Seetee Look forward to meeting you in October :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

going to send an email to the admissions people in RCSI and ask them to forward a msg to all the people who got in so we can contact each other, a fb group maybe?

Thanks speeding!! October can't come quick enough!!!!!!! I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!!:D:D:D

Good plan hollingr! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

FANTASTIC SeeTea :D I'm delighted for ya :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

Well done See Tea that is Fantastic news!!!

Looking forward to seeing you in Oct.. Congrats!!

Just goes to show that things can always change for the better!

hollingr that sounds like a good idea!

Well done See Tea that is Fantastic news!!!

Looking forward to seeing you in Oct.. Congrats!!

Just goes to show that things can always change for the better!

hollingr that sounds like a good idea!

Sounds like a great plan !!! Would be great to have a meet up before October

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭yesman2000

When they say 'matriculation requirements' does that explicitly mean in one sitting. I repeated the LC, got in the mid 550's, but didn't take Irish the second year. Do I meet the requirements? Also, if I go back as a mature student am I liable for fees, for 6 years or just the first three, since my primary degree was three.

Thanks in advance. :D

yesman2000 wrote: »
    When they say 'matriculation requirements' does that explicitly mean in one sitting. I repeated the LC, got in the mid 550's, but didn't take Irish the second year. Do I meet the requirements? Also, if I go back as a mature student am I liable for fees, for 6 years or just the first three, since my primary degree was three.

Matriculation requirements can be from as many sittings as needed. You are liable for the fees for all 5/6 years depending if you do pre med. Hope this helps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

yesman2000 wrote: »

If you plan to apply via the undergraduate route, ie the LC and HPAT only, then yes you need to meet all the matriculation requirements in one sitting.

If you are applying as a mature student then the matriculation requirements can be from different years.

If you already have a degree at the same level, eg Level 8 (honours), then you are not eligible for free fees, afaik even for years 4, 5 and 6 even though you didn't do those years before. If your degree is a level 7 (ordinary), then medicine (Level 8) is considered progression and you are eligible for free fees. Someone posted that someone they knew got their final year free, but I have no details, and would love that to be the case myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Woodie321

Hi!

I have previously heard that when putting choices down for Mature Medicine on the CAO, if applying for RCSI they prefer to be your first choice on your CAO. Has anyone heard similar? I would prefer UCD as my first choice, however, there are only a couple places on this course! Would I therefore be silly not to put RCSI as on my CAO as first choice as there are significantly more places. Id be lucky to get in to any of the courses for 2013 TBH but would hate the thought of not getting in to RCSI because I put down UCD or Trinity as my first choice. Has anyone heard anything about this??

Woodie321 wrote: »
    Hi!

I have previously heard that when putting choices down for Mature Medicine on the CAO, if applying for RCSI they prefer to be your first choice on your CAO. Has anyone heard similar? I would prefer UCD as my first choice, however, there are only a couple places on this course! Would I therefore be silly not to put RCSI as on my CAO as first choice as there are significantly more places. Id be lucky to get in to any of the courses for 2013 TBH but would hate the thought of not getting in to RCSI because I put down UCD or Trinity as my first choice. Has anyone heard anything about this??

I'd put RCSI first just to be safe.. I had them last choice when I applied first time round and they did mention this fact as a negative. You can always change UCD to first place during change of mind form after RCSI finish their interviews.

Getting a mature student place in UCD is far more difficult, I wouldn't hold out any hope unless you have extensive life long experience in the medical field in some capacity and lots of volunteering work.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Hey guys to anyone that was successful congratulations but how on earth are you paying for those fees? Do you plan on having a part time job to support yourself throughout the degree?

Obviously its all worth it but the financial side of things seems frightening to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hoodiegirl

Hi there
    Guys I need your help. I'm currently a second year Science student with full grant awarded to me. But I realise that I really want to do medicine. I am really concerned about fees, mainly with the RCSI fees (~15,000) which is really high for mature students.
    Do you think that my fees will be entirely covered by the grant authority or last covered partially???
    I've been studying and working so I have some savings just afraid I may not have enough
    I'm mature student by the way.... Any help will be highly appreciated ;D

I don't think they will cover the cost of two of the years but probably would the other 3?

I'm not entirely sure but that is how it works with undergraduates who fail a year or do one year of a course then switch over so I assume matures would get the same treatment. Best give citizens information a call or grant authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hoodiegirl

Does it apply the same for RCSI?
    :rolleyes:

RCSI is treated like any other college under CAO.. the only difference is the cost if you get in as a mature and are footing the bill yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

To anyone in RCSI as a mature student, do you know if they keep all the new mature entrants together and also start them in first med as opposed to pre med? Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

dtfo wrote: »
    To anyone in RCSI as a mature student, do you know if they keep all the new mature entrants together and also start them in first med as opposed to pre med? Thanks:D

Depends if you have studied science before. If you have a solid grounding in chemistry/biology to LC standard then you'll go straight into first year, if not then the college decide but you'll probably have to do premed.

• Advertisement

it's not that common, but it does happen that matures do premed in RCSI (why you would want to pay 15 grand to do premed when you can do biology and chemistry for the leaving as an external student for about 200 euro and save yourself that money is beyond me though!)

there were two who had done premed last year as matures that came into JC1 with the rest of us this year.

there was still 15 matures in our year though.

they just have 2 less places in Jc1 the following year to compensate if some do premed.

Advertisement