Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Mature Student Medicine Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

footie10 wrote: »
    Hey,have been invited to apply for a place in RCSI Medicine...any pointers on application (CV, references required, personal statement etc..) be helpful and anyone who has done the interview and has any info on that would also be appreciated.

Cheers.

Also as invite based on HPAT scores anyone know the cutoff score for that??

Am in th same boat myself, they dont give you alot of info to use for the application do they!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 acfan

Have no idea what the cut off for HPAT scores is.

Last year they had 15 places on offer and they interviewed approximately 47 people.

They choose candidates for interview based on personal statement, CV, references and HPAT scores. My advise is write a damn good personal statement and give them 3 or 4 good written references.

In my experience the interview is tough. You are interviewed by two different sets of people.
    1st interview: academics from the college
    They'll ask you to tell them about yourself and about why you want to study medicine.

2nd interview: practicing clinicians
    They'll ask you do you really know what you're getting yourself into. Why study for 5 years to work in some of the worst working conditions in the world? (This is a question I was asked!)
    This is the tougher of the two interviews.

Both interviews last approximately 10-15mins.

They are usually held towards the end of June as we have exams up until the beginning of June.

Best of luck to both of you.

Feel free to PM me any other questions!

acfan wrote: »
    Have no idea what the cut off for HPAT scores is.

Last year they had 15 places on offer and they interviewed approximately 47 people.

They choose candidates for interview based on personal statement, CV, references and HPAT scores. My advise is write a damn good personal statement and give them 3 or 4 good written references.

In my experience the interview is tough. You are interviewed by two different sets of people.
    1st interview: academics from the college
    They'll ask you to tell them about yourself and about why you want to study medicine.

2nd interview: practicing clinicians
    They'll ask you do you really know what you're getting yourself into. Why study for 5 years to work in some of the worst working conditions in the world? (This is a question I was asked!)
    This is the tougher of the two interviews.

Both interviews last approximately 10-15mins.

They are usually held towards the end of June as we have exams up until the beginning of June.

Best of luck to both of you.

Feel free to PM me any other questions!

This is the part I am most concerned with. I did law at college and as such never really got to know any lecturers! As such I have two references from work experience in a GPs practice and a hospice, would that be enough?

This is the part I am most concerned with. I did law at college and as such never really got to know any lecturers! As such I have two references from work experience in a GPs practice and a hospice, would that be enough?

I was told that you should have one reference from an employer, one from school / college and one other reference. I had no practical experience in a hospital or otherwise when I applied and so I had to fall back on my academic references.
    You are in the opposite situation and in my opinion a better situation. Practical experience like yours will stand out in your application as a lot of people will be missing it. Those two references will really help your application. Will they be enough? I have no idea but I can tell you that it shows your commitment to the process.
    In addition when it comes to the interview you will have proof of knowing what the healthcare system is like and believe me insider knowledge like that will be very beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Similar problem re: references. Can get current work and another decent reference no problem, but the school/college reference is going to be a struggle. In college, i wouldn't of been the most successful student in exams and never really got too friendly with any of them, same in school, so i can not see how one of these references will assist me in the application.
    Any advice??

p.s. All the info so far has been very helpful

• Advertisement

Similar problem re: references. Can get current work and another decent reference no problem, but the school/college reference is going to be a struggle. In college, i wouldn't of been the most successful student in exams and never really got too friendly with any of them, same in school, so i can not see how one of these references will assist me in the application.
    Any advice??

p.s. All the info so far has been very helpful

The important thing to remember is that they will look at your suitability for medicine based on the material that you give them, so give them everything that you feel will strengthen your application.

Your lack of an academic reference is not going to stand against you necessarily.....not everybody will have one. The mature entry pathway is specifically designed for non-standard applications. You have to consider everything that has happened in your life so far that has caused you to come to the decision to go back to college for 5 years to study medicine and to become a doctor.

There is no such thing as the perfect application.

In my opinion my personal statement won me an interview and the interview got me my place.

The personal statement needs to address your reasons for wanting to study medicine and for becoming a doctor.

The important thing to remember is that they will look at your suitability for medicine based on the material that you give them, so give them everything that you feel will strengthen your application.

Your lack of an academic reference is not going to stand against you necessarily.....not everybody will have one. The mature entry pathway is specifically designed for non-standard applications. You have to consider everything that has happened in your life so far that has caused you to come to the decision to go back to college for 5 years to study medicine and to become a doctor.

There is no such thing as the perfect application.

In my opinion my personal statement won me an interview and the interview got me my place.

The personal statement needs to address your reasons for wanting to study medicine and for becoming a doctor.

Thanks acfan, your help is great, i have one other question, how long was your personal statement. Am keeping mine around 1.5 pages and succinct but they really dont give you much guideline....

Thanks acfan, your help is great, i have one other question, how long was your personal statement. Am keeping mine around 1.5 pages and succinct but they really dont give you much guideline....

You're very welcome! I know how stressful this process can be and none of the colleges are very forthcoming about what exactly it is they are looking for in an application.

My personal statement was 2 pages and you are absolutely right for keeping it short and succinct. If I could just offer you one more piece of advise...ask someone you trust and who knows you well to read it before you send it. Sometimes a fresh eye will spot something you've missed or have forgotten to put in.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions you might have and the very best of luck with your application.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

Hi, I've also submitted cv etc to RCSI and am anxiously hoping for an interview invitation. However, we've been having a lot of issues with our mail not showing up so if you could post on here if/ when you hear from them, it would be a big help. I'll probably give them a ring if I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks. Good luck - fingers crossed!

Allie79 wrote: »
    Hi, I've also submitted cv etc to RCSI and am anxiously hoping for an interview invitation. However, we've been having a lot of issues with our mail not showing up so if you could post on here if/ when you hear from them, it would be a big help. I'll probably give them a ring if I haven't heard anything in a couple of weeks. Good luck - fingers crossed!

They usually send emails rather than letters unless you haven't provided an email address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 MedGal

Hi guys,

Just wondering, when were u asked for CVs etc?
    Have any of you heard from UCD or RCSI?

They usually send emails rather than letters unless you haven't provided an email address.

Thanks acfan!

Medgal I got a letter mid-April from RCSI, submission was by Wed last week for mature entry consideration. Didn't apply to UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 footie10

Hey,UCD have had some interviews anyway so might want to contact them if not heard back from them yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Blondie1988

hi there! just wondering about this mature graduate entry as opposed to the gamsat entry? Is it geared towards people who dont qualify for gamsat eg. who didn get 2.1 or level 8 degree? many thanks! :)

Mature entry is the option for those of us who don't qualify for the graduate pathway (in my case poor marks!). If you qualify for graduate you're ineligible for mature.

Hey guys, got an email today about being called for an interview, so just to clarify they dont contact by post but by email. Good luck everyone, I'm off to ask myself "why do I want to be a doctor?" and think of a meaningful answer! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Congrats Joey, looks like bad news for me so, no email received:(.

Best of luck with the interview. You might get a chance to post up how you get on and pass on some information for the rest of us.

Congrats Joey, nothing for me either so I guess it's back to the drawing board for next years applications!

Hey guys, got an email today about being called for an interview, so just to clarify they dont contact by post but by email. Good luck everyone, I'm off to ask myself "why do I want to be a doctor?" and think of a meaningful answer! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Congratulations! Best of luck with the interview!

Thanks guys, feel like an ass now as hoped you'd all be onboard too. Its still early days, dont give up yet. I will let you know how it goes when the time comes if it is any help to you.

• Advertisement

Don't be ridiculous - you should be celebrating! It's fantastic that you've gotten an interview. Would appreciate you letting us know how it goes though - tips for next year (hopefully)!:) Best of luck Joey.

Congrats Joey. got email back today aswell so happy out...so anyone tips on the interview my next Q? appreciated the others regards the application.

Congrats footie10 - good luck to you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

Hi guys also got the email today. Just to clarify though, I also did the GAMSAT this year, I made it very clear in my application that I was applying as a graduate too. So it looks like anyone can apply as long as you are doing the HPAT and are over23. I hope it's not an oversight anyways as I've to fly home for it.

I didn't realise Polly. Good luck with your interview!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 anastacia86

Hi All!

Got my email for RCSI interview yesterday aswell, delighted! Haven't heard anything from UCD though, has anyone else?
    Had my Trinity interview there on Thursday, not sure if it went that well but hopefully! Anyone else interview with them?

Do you know when the place offers will be sent out to those who get one?

Hi guys also got the email today. Just to clarify though, I also did the GAMSAT this year, I made it very clear in my application that I was applying as a graduate too. So it looks like anyone can apply as long as you are doing the HPAT and are over23. I hope it's not an oversight anyways as I've to fly home for it.

It's not an oversight. There are some mature students in my class who qualified for the GAMSAT as well as mature entry.

Hi All!

Got my email for RCSI interview yesterday aswell, delighted! Haven't heard anything from UCD though, has anyone else?
    Had my Trinity interview there on Thursday, not sure if it went that well but hopefully! Anyone else interview with them?

Do you know when the place offers will be sent out to those who get one?

I don't know about TCD or UCD as I missed out on both of them but RCSI call you before the CAO change of mind to make sure you have them first on your CAO form. My interview was toward the end of June last year and the CAO change of mind was a week later so they called me within a week after my interview. Your official offer from them is given in round 0 of the CAO offers which was around the 7th of July last year. Now they may change how they do things this year but that's how it worked out for me last year.
    Hope that's of some help to you.

Allie79 wrote: »
    Congrats footie10 - good luck to you too!

Thanks Allie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 anastacia86

I don't know about TCD or UCD as I missed out on both of them but RCSI call you before the CAO change of mind to make sure you have them first on your CAO form. My interview was toward the end of June last year and the CAO change of mind was a week later so they called me within a week after my interview. Your official offer from them is given in round 0 of the CAO offers which was around the 7th of July last year. Now they may change how they do things this year but that's how it worked out for me last year.
    Hope that's of some help to you.

That's great, thanks!

Advertisement