Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Mature Student Medicine Offers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

Hey guys, one thing I am not sure about in the whole application process. How do they decide whether you get to skip the foundation year for medicine. I know its based on past results or subjects etc, but anyone have any idea of the guidelines. For example, I did biology and chemistry for A-levels 7 years ago and got B's in both, will that be enough to hopefully skip foundation year, i really feel it'd be a waste of time for me as I sat my GAMSAT recently aswell and I know those subjects bloody inside out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 acfan

Hey guys, one thing I am not sure about in the whole application process. How do they decide whether you get to skip the foundation year for medicine. I know its based on past results or subjects etc, but anyone have any idea of the guidelines. For example, I did biology and chemistry for A-levels 7 years ago and got B's in both, will that be enough to hopefully skip foundation year, i really feel it'd be a waste of time for me as I sat my GAMSAT recently aswell and I know those subjects bloody inside out!

It is based upon your knowledge of chemistry which you clearly have plenty of! Trust me if you get in you won't be doing foundation year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 anastacia86

Well I've heard back from Trinity and UCD this week and it's a no from them. :( Still keeping my fingers crossed for RCSI!
    Did anyone else hear back? Congrats if anyone got accepted!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ontheditch2

Trinity:Rejected
    UCD: Rejected
    RCSI: Rejected
    UCC: Not yet rejected.

Think i must of just done a really really poor HPAT.

When do the HPAT scores be released out, does anyone know??

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

No from Trinity and RCSI and I didn't apply anywhere else. Suspect my HPAT was just OK and my application didn't do anything to fix that! Think the HPAT results are out end of June - 27th or something. Will be spending the next twelve months trying to improve my score and my app - fingers crossed for next year! All tips from this years applicants accepted gratefully!

• Advertisement

Good luck for your RCSI interview Anastasia - you only need to get in to one!

Thanks Allie and best of luck to you for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 footie10

Hey,

Have mature medicine interview in RCSI coming up. Not actually seeing a whole lot of information on the Questions..most people seem to be focusing just on fact they ask can you afford it and go on to mention one or two general questions! So any pointers/tips/experiences/etc,etc on the process would be very much appreciated.

Had Kings London interview and wondering will it be similar? Anyone who has interviewed at UCD/TCD&RCSI are they basically same Qs and similar format?

Anything at all be a help

Cheers!

Hi Footie,

Had my RCSI interview yesterday (my first time to do the interview so I'm afraid I didn't really have any tips for you!). I was reasonably happy, but it's always hard to know, isn't it!
    How did you get on? Just the waiting game now I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭loonymoony

Hi Footie,

Had my RCSI interview yesterday (my first time to do the interview so I'm afraid I didn't really have any tips for you!). I was reasonably happy, but it's always hard to know, isn't it!
    How did you get on? Just the waiting game now I suppose!

Hey anastacia86

Hope the interview went great for you,can you give us a synopsis of the interview process,how many interviewers?length of interview?all the questions asked? Etc...

Thanks*

• Advertisement

For Trinity there were 8 interviewers around a board table. Pretty scary when you first walk in but it's short and sweet. Don't even think it was 15 minutes.

RCSI you have 2 seperate interviews both lasting 15 minutes each. I know earlier posts here state the second interview is 2 junior doctors but that's changed this year. Both interviews were with lecturers/academics from the college. You don't get time to ask questions in the interview so you're brought into a 3rd room to meet with admissions and get an opportunity to ask.

All pretty standard questions you'd expect - Why do you want to do this, what do you know about the course, asking about your previous education/voluntary work. I wasn't asked any trick questions. They just want to get a sense of who you are and that you know what you're letting yourself in for!

I hope everyone had some good news today.....

Any of ye heard about fees rising significantly for the clinical years?And what to expect in that regard?

Hi Joey,
    Good news from where? Congrats if you were offered a place!
    I didn't hear anything anyway ...

Hi Footie,
    Heard RCSI's fees are rising to 16,500 but didn't hear of any further rise for clinical?

Yeah RCSI are circa €16.5.

For years 3,4 and 5 (clinical years basically) i have been told that the fee's are higher, heard it about TCD anyway. So assuming its the same for all colleges if true for one. have to ring and check. Heard from friend just finished there who heard from matures in her class that that was the case, at least thats the impression she has gotten. But again i have seen or heard nothing else to suggest that is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ady

me too! starting in september?

Hi Joey,
    Good news from where? Congrats if you were offered a place!
    I didn't hear anything anyway ...

Hi Footie,
    Heard RCSI's fees are rising to 16,500 but didn't hear of any further rise for clinical?

Sorry been a hectic week, yeah RCSI offered me a place last Friday, they phoned anyway with the offer but said they'll make an official offer within the next 10 days. As you know Anastacia doesnt mean you wont get one, as they said in the 3rd interview room not everyone who gets an offer takes the place, so fingers crossed for you!

Congratulations Joey, best of luck with the course.

Congrats Joey - well done!

footie10 wrote: »
    Yeah RCSI are circa €16.5.

For years 3,4 and 5 (clinical years basically) i have been told that the fee's are higher, heard it about TCD anyway. So assuming its the same for all colleges if true for one. have to ring and check. Heard from friend just finished there who heard from matures in her class that that was the case, at least thats the impression she has gotten. But again i have seen or heard nothing else to suggest that is the case

Yeah in relation to the above if anyone else was wondering from my posts got chatting to a doctor who just finished as mature student. Fees do NOT go up for clinical years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

i was told we dont hear back about interviews until the 1st week in july, regardless if we were successful or not... what did they say to you? maybe it depends who your interviewer was?? It was the admissions lady in the 3rd room to ask questions to that said that to me though, so seems odd that you guys have heard back a couple weeks sooner than me.. :(

Got 243 in the HPAT but didn't even get an interview - obviously a major flaw in my application - any suggestions?

Scratch that - apparently I'm still in consideration for normal entry - crossing fingers!

Allie79 wrote: »
    Got 243 in the HPAT but didn't even get an interview - obviously a major flaw in my application - any suggestions?

Are you serious?!?!? Allie thats unbelievable, congratulations!! If your still in the running for normal entry, your probably a cert with that hpat score, I assume it says 99/100 percentile on the docket. I'd frame that for the wall in your surgery!

Thanks Joey! It actually says 100th percentile, definitely a shock this morning - double checked the CAO to make sure it was correct! Was expecting about 170. Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

Thanks Joey! It actually says 100th percentile, definitely a shock this morning - double checked the CAO to make sure it was correct! Was expecting about 170. Very happy with it.

thats a pretty spectacular score.. im in awe! you absolutely nailed it.

maybe you didnt get an interview because they knew you'd get in as an undergraduate. the whole point of mature entry is for people who won't get in through traditional methods.. what was your l.c score?

as for if there was a weakpoint, life experience may have been it if it wasnt for the reasons i stated above. did you do any volunteer work or anything medical related in the last few yrs? your life experience is basically as important to the application as your grades from what i can tell

Leaving cert N/A as I'm an EU student but grew up overseas so waiting on them converting my high school grades (apparently happens in early July) and aside from tidying up cv and personal statement you'd be right on the life experience. I'm a full time mum and worked in medical science before that so nothing particularly med-related in a long time and no volunteer work of late either - all things that will be addressed over the next year should I be re-applying. Thanks for the congrats, am really pleased with my result.

Leaving cert N/A as I'm an EU student but grew up overseas so waiting on them converting my high school grades (apparently happens in early July) and aside from tidying up cv and personal statement you'd be right on the life experience. I'm a full time mum and worked in medical science before that so nothing particularly med-related in a long time and no volunteer work of late either - all things that will be addressed over the next year should I be re-applying. Thanks for the congrats, am really pleased with my result.

Haha nice understatement at the end!! I would say you are absolutely delighted! Well done!

Did RCSI contact everyone yet?

Is it Waterford Regional where we go for GP rotation in clinical years...anyone know? (yes i know getting a bit ahead of myself...but trying to suss it out a lil bit better)cheers

I haven't heard anything - assuming that's not a good sign :(
    From what I understand the placements aren't assigned to a particular spot, different people will be in different locations. Not 100% sure though.
    Well done on a great result Allie, I'd say you're delighted!

• Advertisement

footie10 wrote: »
    Haha nice understatement at the end!! I would say you are absolutely delighted! Well done!

Did RCSI contact everyone yet?

Is it Waterford Regional where we go for GP rotation in clinical years...anyone know? (yes i know getting a bit ahead of myself...but trying to suss it out a lil bit better)cheers

Serious gun jumping here, I am waiting for official confirmation that the phonecall I received wasnt some sick sick sick sick sick prank!!
    Havent heard anything since friday week ago, a friend mine is the same so I can assume we're all good, admissions dept probably up to their eyes after hpat came out.

Advertisement