Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCSI Mature Student Medicine Offers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

I see what youre implying, and it makes sense to me, i think it is important to care about your patients and give them a sense of personality - for their comfort and peace of mind and your own soul.

I was just reluctant to mention any 'softness' like that incase they told me to go be a nurse! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mr Beaker

I see what youre implying, and it makes sense to me, i think it is important to care about your patients and give them a sense of personality - for their comfort and peace of mind and your own soul.

I was just reluctant to mention any 'softness' like that incase they told me to go be a nurse! :rolleyes:

Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with being a nurse. One of the reasons I'm applying is due to the amazing care I received from nurses and doctors during a short stay in hospital. I really was amazed by their genuine concern and sympathy. So being a nurse is certainly a great career option. I'd expect one of their common queestions to be along the lines of...."So, you say here you want to help people and you want a career in healthcare. Have you looked at any of the other careers? Why do you think Medicine is right for you and these others are not?"

So...you'd probably want reasons why you want medicine over all the other associated careers out there in healthcare.

I'm just guessing here though...I've never interviewed with these guys before. Some others on here have though, might be able to give you a better idea of what kind of questions to expect. On the off-chance of getting an interview I'm just gonna try and wing it! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Mr Beaker wrote: »
    Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with being a nurse. One of the reasons I'm applying is due to the amazing care I received from nurses and doctors during a short stay in hospital. I really was amazed by their genuine concern and sympathy. So being a nurse is certainly a great career option. I'd expect one of their common queestions to be along the lines of...."So, you say here you want to help people and you want a career in healthcare. Have you looked at any of the other careers? Why do you think Medicine is right for you and these others are not?"

So...you'd probably want reasons why you want medicine over all the other associated careers out there in healthcare.

I'm just guessing here though...I've never interviewed with these guys before. Some others on here have though, might be able to give you a better idea of what kind of questions to expect. On the off-chance of getting an interview I'm just gonna try and wing it! :P

good advice right there !! i'd imagine it's going to be the first question that they throw at me haha if i'm lucky enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

Hi guys - I was just wondering re the CV, is it your normal CV or have you tailored it much to cater for the application? Im just slightly concerned because I have only ever worked in financial markets and my CV is quite formal and jargon heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I would say tailor where possible, and leave out the jargon.. it's just not relevant to them!

there are skills you've picked up though that i'm sure you can apply e.g working under pressure, etc etc... just ham up the soft skills!

• Advertisement

My CV was a break down of things ive done since leaving school - jobs and volunteer work :)

Got mines all posted yesterday, hope i get a decent score on Monday so it'll actually all get LOOKED at after all the effort i put in :/

Monday Monday - i cant get it out of my head!

The colleges already have the hpat scores, long before we do.. It's pretty safe to say your hpat was at least sufficent for mature entry!

I thought everyone got the letter from RCSI for Mature Entry? you know asking for references and shizz?
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

I thought everyone got the letter from RCSI for Mature Entry? you know asking for references and shizz?
    :eek:
    Nope, only those with a score over 160. Well done!

Holy Moly!! :eek:

I need to sit down!

• Advertisement

just finished off me application. gonna drop into town this evening..

any current pupils that can tell if there will be someone at the reception desk at around 4.30-5-30?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

hollingr wrote: »
    just finished off me application. gonna drop into town this evening..

any current pupils that can tell if there will be someone at the reception desk at around 4.30-5-30?

There should be, theres always a security man there, though I'd hand it into the admissions office which is in corridor beside reception desk.

Woop! go on Hollingr!:cool:

i wonder will we get a letter/email if we are not invited for interview?

Also, anyone any news from UCD/TCD/UUC?

must say, I was rather put out by Glaway not wanting Matures *huff*

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Good luck to everyone with their applications.

I havent heard anything about Medicine from any of the other colleges. However I havent heard of any one that has so not too worry yet. Anyone want to pm as soon as they hear and Ill do the same?

Il probably put it here tbh - there cant be too many matures for undergrad medicine and theres just a handful of schools!

On another note, is that 15k A YEAR? On top of the 2 grand admin fee?

I want to be prepared early just incase so Ive been on the phone to student finance NI who told me i should still be entitled to free fees (students from NI's fees are paid by the Irish government, so we dont have to pay apparently) But shes not sure as its my second degree.

I have to contact my local library board and RCSI on Monday to see how it works :/

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anybody knows from last year how much notice they generally give for the interviews ? With the interviews being on 14th/15th may they would have to let us know by monday week to give 7 days notice.

No doubt they'll send the letters out all together in one big batch. I asked the woman in admissions if she'd mind giving me my hpat results a few days early, don't think she realised I was joking!

Last year I got the interview letter with plenty of notice, which is lucky because I was in Indonesia at the time..

@fairytalegirl - I can assure you there is no free fees if it's your second degree. there is maintenance grant or btea depending on your employment/finanical status...

From what admissions told me the hpat doesn't really be assessed when you're invited to submit documents or has everyone that applied been invited to submit an application. Sure we'll soon find out anyway.

Ahhhh well hpat was terrible as I knew it would be. Chances gone :-(. Hope everyone else got what they needed.

I did SH!T.

Eugh.Gutted.

• Advertisement

I did SH!T.

Eugh.Gutted.

Guys...I wouldn't give up hope based on the HPAT scores alone.

I don't think anyone really knows how much emphasis they put on the scores compared to the personal statements / interviews etc. And...the number of people applying probably goes up and down each year so the average score they'll be looking for will also change.

I don't think anything's decided at this stage.
    And on that note...I've to hop on a bus, print off my own docs and hand them in!

Let's hope so.

I got 153 - not a completly awful score but it puts me in just the 45% which is a basic fail. I'm hoping because we were asked for documents etc that they requested them when they had already seen our scores, so they're still considering us, after all, circumstances are slightly different for matures.

I'm just SO disappointed.

Taking today to wallow with my duvet, then sorting stuff for sitting the GAMSAT in September (I have a 2:2 so I'm eligible for some grad entry in the UK schools. Then I'll go for HPAT again next year, and the GAMSAT if needs be again in March.

Chin up eh guys? X

Let's hope so.

I got 153 - not a completly awful score but it puts me in just the 45% which is a basic fail. I'm hoping because we were asked for documents etc that they requested them when they had already seen our scores, so they're still considering us, after all, circumstances are slightly different for matures.

I'm just SO disappointed.

Taking today to wallow with my duvet, then sorting stuff for sitting the GAMSAT in September (I have a 2:2 so I'm eligible for some grad entry in the UK schools. Then I'll go for HPAT again next year, and the GAMSAT if needs be again in March.

Chin up eh guys? X

AHHHHH...don't mention the "G" word! I'm still having nightmares about that exam. It's like getting some sort of brain-enema! :P

I'm thinking along the same lines as you. Most places try to keep their admin work to a minimum. I don't see why they'd ask applicants to submit a load of docs for review if they're not happy enough with their HPAT scores.

I'm actually already booked into the GAMSAT (long story) this Sept. Hopefully it won't come to that though!

I really need to leave the house...it's 5:30 right??
    Spent the past hour ironing a shirt just in case they decide to give me some sort of pop-test while I'm in there!

It is 5:30! Time enough!

Haha Ironing your shirt - I do that when going to ask somewhere for a job application just incase they judge me then and there :P

But yeah Ive heard the GAMSAT is a living nightmare - I havnt done science since i was 16 - and at that I didnt exactly do brilliantly :o So im going to buy all the stuff I can and get the A Level Syballus and work from there - maybe take some night classes if I have time.

Im guessing you did well in the HPAT? Go and hand those results in!!

"Candidates are short listed on the basis of their HPAT score and invited to supply a CV, a personal statement and references supporting their application to study medicine. Competitive candidates are then called for a structured interview." from http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745

It seems they know your score before asking for your documents.

Also I know what its like to not score high enough , however you can really put a lot of work in between now and next february to improve , I managed 167 to 193

dtfo wrote: »
    "Candidates are short listed on the basis of their HPAT score and invited to supply a CV, a personal statement and references supporting their application to study medicine. Competitive candidates are then called for a structured interview." from http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?p=112&n=202&a=745

It seems they know your score before asking for your documents.

Also I know what its like to not score high enough , however you can really put a lot of work in between now and next february to improve , I managed 167 to 193

Thats a slight glimmer of hope I guess - Yeah, I mean I know I am not a stupid person, its the 45% thats like a kick in the teeth. Sounds so bad!
    It was my first time sitting the HPAT and I studied for a week or so - More effort needed next time I suppose :rolleyes:

The thing is , is that as a first timer youre up against people like me whove already sat it,know what to expect and have done alot of work so its definitely not a level playing field

Also as I felt the first time I done it, I had been out of education for 10 years and had never really tried in school so I was against people who had been doing honours maths etc for years and were mentally more active

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captain1888

Anyone heard anything about TCD etc... does anyone know how they do it.. i have been asked to submit docs to RCSI as well but I wonder was everyone who applied just asked? It does say on the Hpat website that universities get the results in advance to help them shortlist. But if so why are the rest of them not sending out invitations to interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thats a slight glimmer of hope I guess - Yeah, I mean I know I am not a stupid person, its the 45% thats like a kick in the teeth. Sounds so bad!
    It was my first time sitting the HPAT and I studied for a week or so - More effort needed next time I suppose :rolleyes:

Don't beat yourself up too much. The reality is that getting good results in HPAT, MSAP or any assessment test is down to a lot of things, not just your inherent ability. There's a knack to doing those tests and it can take you time to get into the swing of them. Time you don't have in the exam. If it doesn't work out you will still have gained from the experience in that you know what to expect the next time.

:)

• Advertisement

dtfo wrote: »
    The thing is , is that as a first timer youre up against people like me whove already sat it,know what to expect and have done alot of work so its definitely not a level playing field

Also as I felt the first time I done it, I had been out of education for 10 years and had never really tried in school so I was against people who had been doing honours maths etc for years and were mentally more active

i'll second that. i went from 173 (studying just the week before) to 192 with solid practising from january onwards on med.entry, which is especially helpful for improving your score in section 3. To help get the cobwebs away I would recommend doing sudoku's and things like that to help sharpen up and get your brain speed up, you gots to train the brain like it was a muscle, especially if you are a mature student that has been away from the books for a while!

Also, it's ALL down to your personal statement and experience now, so cast aside your hpat's, it's the least important thing to mature application by a loooongshot.

Advertisement