Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got a new card, what to do with the old one ?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭

I got a new GTX260 card and was wondering if there is any point / benefits to use my old GTX8800 as a deadicated PhysX card ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

8800gtx is too power hungry for physx, you would be better off selling it for 50euro and buying a second hand 8800GT( which is very low powered - in power consumtion terms in comparison ) if you wanted that kinda setup

But why not give the 8800GTX a try and see if its worth replacing it with a less power hungry/next to same performance 8800GT?

I had a 260 216SP card and 8800GT for physx and to drive my 3rd screen, great setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

hmm abit OT:

i wonder how much can i get from selling my 8800GS??

seraphimvc wrote: »
    hmm abit OT:

i wonder how much can i get from selling my 8800GS??
    i would say its worth about 35-40 euro unfortunately, its basically because 8800GT was/is( i havnt checked recently ) around 50euro second hand and its a much better card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Defo sell it. You'll get about 60-70 euro, buy another low end 8 or 9 series card, ideally passive. no point keeping a power hungry beast like that for physx.

8800GS was a great budget card. Had two of them in Sli for less then 200 euro when COD4 came and flew through it at 1920x1200 max settings with AA. One of the only times Sli was worthwhile for me, and I've had dual cards several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Defo sell it. You'll get about 60-70 euro, buy another low end 8 or 9 series card, ideally passive. no point keeping a power hungry beast like that for physx.
    I already have, tried it out and to be honest I noticed no difference graphic wise playing Batman AA & BF - Bad Company 2, the only things I did notice was the heat and the power usage.

• Advertisement

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I already have, tried it out and to be honest I noticed no difference graphic wise playing Batman AA & BF - Bad Company 2, the only things I did notice was the heat and the power usage.
    Bad Company 2 doesnt use Physix, Batman AA does, make sure its enabled as the physix card in the control panel, Batman AA has lots of physix stuff, the differences are slight but you'll definately notice it in the combat with Batmans cape.

You can check that its actually running in hardware mode using FluidMark - http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/physx-fluidmark/

When its running make sure it doesnt say software physix in the render screen.

Metro 2033 seriously benefits from physix, Mirrors Edge is another where its noticable, again its slight

Advertisement