Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reactions to KC vaccine

Options
  • 30-06-2010 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Looks like we're in for a long night, our youngest pooch had a KC vaccine last week. Wouldn't of bothered with it only it's required for the pet expo. Anyhoo he started snorting just once a day or two afterwards but then was fine, one of my others dog had done this as well after a KC vaccine a while back.
    But he took to snorting like mad tonight, it finally stopped and he was so miserable looking when it went on and on.

Hubby's staying up with him he's asleep atm but if the dog is moved at all he takes to snorting again so trying to keep him quiet, he's tired anyway being 4 am.

So just anxiously waiting for time to go by until I can phn. vets.

It may not even be anything to do with the KC vax but it's a bit of a coincidence. All the info. I can find so far says they can develop a cough, sneezing, snorting etc. but it passes. Usually with little of no treatment.

He's still a pup really just gone 1 yr. and don't want to take any chances by leaving it, would do the same with any of the dogs.

Has anyones dog had a reaction to the vaccine?
    I really didn't want to get it I've read the pros and cons before but my other two dogs never had any major reactions.

Now I'll have to wait and see what the vet says to see wether he can even attend the pet expo.

Oh the joys of doggy owner ship. Why do they always become ill in the middle of the night as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Hope your dog is ok, my small dog does that snorting thing too, but I think its to do with the breed(lhasa apso) having a shortened muzzle. It has improved as she's grown, but it still happens occasionally. I find rubbing under the throat helps, but her bouts only last a few seconds.
    Both of mine had KC vac with no problems, sorry no other advice, fingers crossed he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

Hope your pup (& hubby)are feeling OK this morning.

Sorry can't offer any constructive advice as have never vacc'd any of our dogs for Kennel Cough - was always a bit wary of it. Was looking at Pet Expo website as we were thinking of heading up & the info re: vaccinations is not very clear:

If you are planning to bring your dog to Pet Expo this summer, our Pet Expo Vet, Una Carroll MVB BComm, would highly recommend you ensure that all your dog vaccinations are fully up to date ( especially Kennel Cough). Please bring along your vaccination Certificate as you maybe ask to produce them if necessary by our Animal Welfare Officer.

Saying vaccs are highly recommended is not same as saying they are mandatory but then it states you may be asked to produce a vacc. cert :confused:

Was thinking of taking our JRT but as he doesn't have the KC vacc maybe we won't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Usually reactions to vaccines start within 24 hours of receiving it with something like mild cough, rash etc. If severe they tend to start nearly straight after they are given them (gasping, shock etc.).

I have had a few reactions to KC vax with my dogs - usually "cold like" symptoms that night or the next day that last for about 3 days. Snorting, generally feeling miserable and sometimes a discharge from their nose. Nothing as severe as KC itself though. Their immune systems take quite a hit when they are vaccinated so if there was anything not showing up before they can rear their ugly heads once they immune system has been hit. I have had one dog get very ill after a standard 8 in 1 vax - masses of infections for the next two weeks (eye, ear, anal gland, stomach...) and had to be pumped with antibiotics as a result and he ended up having to start the vaxes again, after a few months of getting him into a better state.

From what you are describing, it sounds like something unrelated to the KC vax and I would bring the dog to the vet - highlighting that you really don't think it has to do with the vax (some vets will hear "had a vax in last week" and brush it off as a reaction) because it may be something the dog was already fighting but because their immune system took a hit it get hold and has made the dog sick.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Rottie did that snorty thing after getting the KC vaccine, it only lasted a day and then she was right as rain. Hope you little guy feels better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

LisaO wrote: »
    Hope your pup (& hubby)are feeling OK this morning.

Sorry can't offer any constructive advice as have never vacc'd any of our dogs for Kennel Cough - was always a bit wary of it. Was looking at Pet Expo website as we were thinking of heading up & the info re: vaccinations is not very clear:

Saying vaccs are highly recommended is not same as saying they are mandatory but then it states you may be asked to produce a vacc. cert :confused:

Was thinking of taking our JRT but as he doesn't have the KC vacc maybe we won't :(

It's very confusing I was half afraid of being turned away from the door after travelling up so far, so had him done for the KC when he went in for his annual booster.

I'm a paranoid so and so, the dog is fine now..typical. No temp. and may not even be related to the KC vaccine. Oh well, it's peace of mind now anyway we know he's ok to go to the RDS.

Always torn with vaccinations, I hate to have to get them done every year but at the same time if there was an emergency and I had to pop the dogs in to kennels you have to have them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Usually reactions to vaccines start within 24 hours of receiving it with something like mild cough, rash etc. If severe they tend to start nearly straight after they are given them (gasping, shock etc.).

Just wanted to add it's best to keep an eye on them all day after a vaccination though, a severe reaction can start even hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Glad the little dog is ok, they're worse than kids for making you worry.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It's very confusing I was half afraid of being turned away from the door after travelling up so far, so had him done for the KC when he went in for his annual booster.

I'm a paranoid so and so, the dog is fine now..typical. No temp. and may not even be related to the KC vaccine. Oh well, it's peace of mind now anyway we know he's ok to go to the RDS.

Always torn with vaccinations, I hate to have to get them done every year but at the same time if there was an emergency and I had to pop the dogs in to kennels you have to have them.

We don't vaccinate. There have been so many issues re vaccines and our dogs are never among/near other dogs.

The same with the cats.

I had a young dog die from a vaccination, but would still always vaccinate. Though I respect other people's decision not to . . .

The illnesses they can get are just too scary and horrible.

With cats especially for cat flu, if they go outdoors, there are just so many stray cats around here, they could pick up anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

morganafay wrote: »
    I had a young dog die from a vaccination, but would still always vaccinate. Though I respect other people's decision not to . . .

The illnesses they can get are just too scary and horrible.

With cats especially for cat flu, if they go outdoors, there are just so many stray cats around here, they could pick up anything.

Both our present cats had enteritis as tinies... pocked up in the rescue we had them from.

We have had this policy many years and never any illness.

And so many issues re vaccines etc that that for us is riskier.

And they know now that a vaccine can stay active many years

Would be the same with children incidentally.

Collie was never vaccinated all her years of roaming free in the day...

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been thinking of not vaccinating my dogs every year . . . but not sure what to do.

Unfortunately I had a few cats die of cat flu or something that led to pneumonia, so now I vaccinate them all. I get so worried about them getting sick.

Glad your ones are healthy and hope they stay healthy :)

Advertisement