Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options to keep passing traffic off new Tarmac

• 30-06-2010 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

Got my drive and road frontage tarred yesterday and am looking at options to keep passing traffic off it.

I would prefer not to use cones as they are hard to get, expensive and don't look great.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Couple of decent sized rocks about a foot or so high off the ground, possibly with a bit of white paint on them so people can see them at night easier?

Alternatively, a couple of large plant pots with some form of small tree in them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

As a slight aside to this - if a car hits a rock or flowerpot in the road frontage area that you are blocking off who is liable?
    I am assuming when you say road frontage that you mean the few yards between your property boundary and the road

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Thanks for the replies.
    This is what I have been thinking\am concerned about. With cones they will fall over if hit but a block would do more damage.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

can you rope it off and hang stuff off the rope?
    Tarmac is kinda different, I dont think anyone intentionally wants to get tarmac on themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Webbs wrote: »
    As a slight aside to this - if a car hits a rock or flowerpot in the road frontage area that you are blocking off who is liable?
    I am assuming when you say road frontage that you mean the few yards between your property boundary and the road

A friend of mine who works for the council explained to me that, you as the house owner would be liable for any damage caused to a car if it hits a rock or any other object such as posts with reflectors placed outside your boundry wall. Seemingly your property extends as far as your boundry wall and anything after that its public property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

homerhop wrote: »
    A friend of mine who works for the council explained to me that, you as the house owner would be liable for any damage caused to a car if it hits a rock or any other object such as posts with reflectors placed outside your boundry wall. Seemingly your property extends as far as your boundry wall and anything after that its public property.

Not trying to be pedantic about it if thats the way it seems but would the tarmac area not be outside the boundary wall (assuming they have a boundary wall) in the OP's scenario and hence be public property under the criteria?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Unless you actually own the land outside and beyond your boundary wall,then its more than likely the property of the county council and therefore it would be illegal to block it off or obstruct it with anything.

If there was a crash or a car was damaged by any obsticale,then you could find yourself in some serious hot water,with insurance companies,the gardai and the county council.

You are also not allowed to alter any land outside your boundary wall,as its county council property.So putting down tarmac is going to land you in trouble aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This portion of the site is a kinda duel ownership, the OP has to surface and maintain it, ensure no stagnant water and no run off to the public road..
    It is however part of the public road and putting rocks/pots there is a bit like blocking the road to keep down the volume of passing traffic !

I'd say the chances of any comeback is slim but if there was an accident caused by these - the brown smelly sticky stuff would hit the large rotating thing pretty fast..

Contact the council or a solicitor before doing this..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

The way he explained to me John was that as soon as you put up a barrier in any shape or form to prevent cars driving on your grass/tarmac/chippings at the edge of the road you are liable for any damage caused to that vehicle. At the time he was explaining this to me, we were driving past a house that had put up posts and string along with a few painted rocks and he was complaining about having approached them already about removing them.

Advertisement