Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turning teenagers away from wall

Options
  • 30-06-2010 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

There is a square in my wall that i had to build around due to an old Telecom Eireann box which has since been removed. teens tend to hand around this. i would like to plant a fast growing thorny bush in this area..something that will grow up to 2 or 3 foot would be ideal. any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A decent size hawthorn bush would probably do it and would not be too expensive. Is this your property though? If it is I would be inclined to reclaim the square - build the wall straight across - or you could lose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wild roses are very prickly, or Pyrocanthus (although that will grow pretty big if you let it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Berberis is great, it has huge thorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

I would err on the size of caution unless you know otherwise but most likely that this space is outside your boundary. Should any member of the public, especially children injure themselves with thorns from your planting it would be difficult to escape liability. One has to be careful when planting thorny plants along boundary walls/lines, because the owner will be liable for any damage/injury caused by branches/stems overhanging boundary.

I would agree with what another Poster has suggested and close the wall with blocks, but better to check in the utility co has any plans to replace original unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Or you could chuck in a few shovels full of compost and let nettles take over :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

If the location is far enough away from your house just get some dead fish and leave it there to rot.
    That should break the habit quickly enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

joewicklow wrote: »
    If the location is far enough away from your house just get some dead fish and leave it there to rot.
    That should break the habit quickly enough.

And that will attract every bird,dog,cat and rat in the area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

There is a square in my wall that i had to build around due to an old Telecom Eireann box which has since been removed. teens tend to hand around this. i would like to plant a fast growing thorny bush in this area..something that will grow up to 2 or 3 foot would be ideal. any ideas please?

I dont follow you.

Is this square outside your boundary wall,and it had a telecom eireann box on it??

If so than I think that bit of land/square would be the property of the council and not your property.

As far as Im aware,you cannot legally touch or alter any land or property that is outside your boundary wall

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if a TE box had been there, does that mean the area is paved?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I assume that the OP intends to plant on the garden side of the wall, but that the bush would grow over the top of the wall and stop people sittin on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement