Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone want to live in a shed behind a house in Lucan for €750 a month??

Options
  • 30-06-2010 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Himselfe

Now I don't know too much about these 'Seomras' but this is surely extracting the urine to the extreme...

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=878187

As far as I'm concerned its a shed in a back garden. Some neck.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Himselfe wrote: »
    Now I don't know too much about these 'Seomras' but this is surely extracting the urine to the extreme...

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=878187

As far as I'm concerned its a shed in a back garden. Some neck.

I dont see the problem with it to be honest. Looks far better than a shed inside and I would assume that it could suit many a person/couple. Tis a bit on the pricy side alright and one would have to check heating was sufficient but I dont see the issue. No one is forcing you to rent it. Also, Can i get you to come to my house and build a "shed" for me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its abit more than a shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 facksake

Bit pricy alright but other than that I don't get the issue. If it's just the price that's annoyin ya i'd advise you stop browsing on daft with immediate effect

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's hard to judge the size from the photo - but it actually looks kind of nice.

Its also fully detached so it would be much "better" than your standard paper thinwalled appartment with potentially 8 other units no more than a paper wall away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

kippy wrote: »
    Its also fully detached so it would be much "better" than your standard paper thinwalled appartment with potentially 8 other units no more than a paper wall away.

except for the heating bills, which would probably be astronomical.

Xiney wrote: »

That really depends on the insulation/build quality. Those wooden buildings can be pretty toasty if constructed properly. Fair point however.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭scotchannie

hey it least it's compact, very open planned, with fold away bed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Himselfe

godtabh wrote: »
    godtabh wrote: »

Ok I'll admit, it is a bit more than a shed. But I still think its madness, mainly the price. Its basically a temporary prefab (albeit a nice one) in someons back garden.

I suppose if they do let it for that price then fair play to them.

And it probably is slightly better than this:
    The court heard that the shed had three adults and an 18-month-old child living in it, was heated by an oven and the yard outside was covered in clutter, which also presented a fire hazard.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/sacked-garda-ordered-to-vacate-residents-from-fire-risk-properties-463412.html#ixzz0sKO2lEVS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Xiney wrote: »

Unlikely, timber framed would hold the heat a lot better than a similar property built in masonry.

I wouldnt call it a shed to be honest, it doesnt look too bad, has its own access and car space. The price is a little high for distance to the city though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

cheeky sods. can you imagine the yield on that if they rented at 750 a month ?

Nothing wrong with renting it out but 750 a month is a piss take. how much do they cost 30 - 40 grand ?

an annual yield of 20 - 25% at that rate. not bad if they can get it but for that price id be astonished if anybody rented it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Tis a fine barn, but sure 'tis no pool, English.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Was actually in one of these yokes last weekend, and was quite impressed by it.

Double walls and insulated.

It'd be great to throw the 'angry teenage child' into when the time comes :p

But as for €750pm.. c'mon now.

I'm seeing 2 bed apartments off the Airport Road in Santry for €690pm.

Classy. And apparently you have to be 35 AND single to live in it. Talk about narrowing your potentials...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Himselfe wrote: »
    Classy. And apparently you have to be 35 AND single to live in it. Talk about narrowing your potentials...

Don't you know those 34 year olds are just too immature to live in a shed?

I agree with the OP, pure chancers looking for that money to live in what's essentially a caravan with no wheels.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shed

"A shed is typically a simple, single-story structure in a back garden or on an allotment that is used for storage, hobbies, or as a workshop."

Methinks 'tis a shed indeed. Even if you decide to store a tenant therein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

thats a shed no matter how you dress it up its a shed and are they having a laugh renting it for that price for any price
    if they do let it then thats its im buying one sticking in my garden and renting it out also :p

edellc wrote: »
    thats a shed no matter how you dress it up its a shed and are they having a laugh renting it for that price for any price
    if they do let it then thats its im buying one sticking in my garden and renting it out also :p

What is the difference between a house and a shed?

a house has foundations a shed doesnt :confused:

• Advertisement

a house has foundations a shed doesnt :confused:
    You've obviously never built a shed nor a house.

You've obviously never built a shed nor a house.

and i bet neither have most of the people on here :confused:

the question is not about if any of us has built a house or bought a shed before but would you pay that amount of money to rent it and if any one wanted to live in a shed behind a house in lucan so i dont see what your trying to get at unless it is your house and your are the one trying to rent out a shed??

i would never pay that amount of money to live in a shed nice as it is that far out of the city

BTW your going completely off topic it was a light hearted question by the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I wonder does it comply with legal guidelines for a rental property? Will the landlord be registered with PRTB?

It's quite a nice ahem studio but the sofa is manky. You'd think they would've spent a bit of money on a nice sofa bed instead of that thing.

It's certainly not worth €750 though and you can get 2 bed apartments in that general area for not much more.

and i bet neither have most of the people on here :confused:

the question is not about if any of us has built a house or bought a shed before but would you pay that amount of money to rent it and if any one wanted to live in a shed behind a house in lucan so i dont see what your trying to get at unless it is your house and your are the one trying to rent out a shed??

i would never pay that amount of money to live in a shed nice as it is that far out of the city

BTW your going completely off topic it was a light hearted question by the OP
    The point is, the OP is suggesting that this is a "shed".
    I disagree.
    We were all living in worse than most modern sheds 50/60 years ago.
    This "shed" is no worse that any wooden built small house anywhere in the US. In fact its very livable and as I said would suit certain people.
    Yeah, its a bit pricy but I suspect that the cost to build it, including parking and access costs is far higher than most "modern" one bed apartments where your neighbour might as well be in the same room as you.
    Yep, it may have heating issues and yes, it does appear to be priced on the HIGH side, but NO ONE is forcing anyone to pay that price. If the owner gets that then fair play to them, if not he'll reduce the price.
    Theres one bedroom aparments out there without the same space/access/parking/privacy going for more money in worse areas of town, I would suggest.

What is the difference between a house and a shed?

Based on the quality of a lot of builds in Ireland over the past ten years i'd say: Not much!!

The point is, the OP is suggesting that this is a "shed".
    I disagree.
    We were all living in worse than most modern sheds 50/60 years ago.
    This "shed" is no worse that any wooden built small house anywhere in the US. In fact its very livable and as I said would suit certain people.
    Yeah, its a bit pricy but I suspect that the cost to build it, including parking and access costs is far higher than most "modern" one bed apartments where your neighbour might as well be in the same room as you.
    Yep, it may have heating issues and yes, it does appear to be priced on the HIGH side, but NO ONE is forcing anyone to pay that price. If the owner gets that then fair play to them, if not he'll reduce the price.
    Theres one bedroom aparments out there without the same space/access/parking/privacy going for more money in worse areas of town, I would suggest.

off with ya and rent it yourself then if its such a good find :D

off with ya and rent it yourself then if its such a good find :D

1. I own a house in Galway, renting in Lucan wouldnt make much sense........
    2. I would prefer to rent in the city center myself.
    3. I think its over priced for the area - not specifilly for the build type.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It appears to be approximately 12 ft x 12 ft = 144 sq ft.

(you can see where the bed goes to the centre of the french doors in two photos, and you can see the wardrobe in the photo of the doors from the inside as well as the kitchen cum living room)

It's tiny - they should be ashamed trying to get 750/mo for it regardless of the fact that it's essentially a garden shed.

1. I own a house in Galway, renting in Lucan wouldnt make much sense........
    2. I would prefer to rent in the city center myself.
    3. I think its over priced for the area - not specifilly for the build type.

then stop going on about it being such a good find
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 facksake

I think we all agree that we think it's overpriced, but they can ask what they like for it. If someone pays for it then that's its value.

I think they'll get a heavy dose of reality as it sits on the market for months and months, with several small price reductions until someone finally takes it for €450 p/m.

But it doesn't bother me what they ask for it that's up to them, we shouldn't care like

Advertisement