Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another stabbing... FFS!

• 30-06-2010 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭

Just heard on a news report on the way into town that a young lad was stabbed in Thomas Street there last night. Presented himself to WRH for treatment.

Gardaí arrested someone in the early hours of the morning and have Thomas Street sealed off...

Seriously, what the fuçk is going on in this town?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Yeah its terrible alright. I've always thought of Waterford as a safe city but its getting less so as time goes on. Times are changing for suure :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

I live on Thomas Street and I did hear some young wans arguing in the early hours but I didn't realise someone had been stabbed.

That was at about 1.30am so I don't know if the stabbing happened before or after that, I thought I heard one of them saying their uncle had been hurt so maybe they were referring to the stabbing, don't know any more unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

They'd really want to get a grip on this now,

I think I have mentioned before that I am noticing more of a scumbag element around town. Espically on nights out.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

ziedth wrote: »

I think I have mentioned before that I am noticing more of a scumbag element around town. Espically on nights out.

Yeah it would really put you off going out at. Much better to just have an auld session at home, at least that way your safe!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wtf, this place has gone to the dogs lately,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Creamsoda wrote: »
    Yeah it would really put you off going out at. Much better to just have an auld session at home, at least that way your safe!

probably not most these murders/stabbings are happening at houses or housing estates... not in pubs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What exactly do you suggest? Knife stabbings are usually spontaneous. They will happen regardless. We could put more Gardaí on the beat to curb street crime, but something tells me that this sort of craic is only going to get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

dlofnep wrote: »
    What exactly do you suggest? Knife stabbings are usually spontaneous. They will happen regardless. We could put more Gardaí on the beat to curb street crime, but something tells me that this sort of craic is only going to get worse.

Spontaneous? Someone doesn't just find a knife, they already have it and are prepared to use it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

gscully wrote: »
    Spontaneous? Someone doesn't just find a knife, they already have it and are prepared to use it!

Yes, but their actions of using it are obviously spontaenous.

So what do you suggest? Strip searching every single person in town? Banning the sale of knives so that we cut our meat with spoons? Is there actually a proposition that you have to curb knife crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

robtri wrote: »
    probably not most these murders/stabbings are happening at houses or housing estates... not in pubs...

If you look at what I quoted I was talking about the amount of scumbags around... And I can trust my friends not to whip out a knife and stab someone in my house so it is a hell of a lot safer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

unless the courts enforce a zero tolerance then its just going to keep on getting more common

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

You know whats happening here is , these young guys tennagers mostly are growing up listening to storys of people solving differences with a knife rather than years ago when most would sort out differences with fists ,

All these young guys are the fellas who most likely will be carrying a knife to be cool and show others they better not mess with them , most probably dont intend on using them really until they get drunk or off their faces on drugs and end up in a fight , hey presto they use their weapon and hurt someone or kill then they go to jail rightly.

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/2577/A-17-year-old-male-is-being-questioned-by-gardai-f.aspx

This says this is the 2nd incident of its kind in a week but wlr must not know a man was stabbed in ferry bank on weekend last too so thats 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

So what do you suggest? Strip searching every single person in town? Banning the sale of knives so that we cut our meat with spoons? Is there actually a proposition that you have to curb knife crime?

Random stop and searches by the guards. Possibly they could use hand held detectors like those used in airports.

03CEA0A4-0950-91D4-4E28362A04B9DC6D.jpg

This type of incident is on the rise and its not going to be stopped by people throwing their hands up the air and saying "oh what are we going to do". And don't give us any malarkey about civil rights or human rights. The right to life is the most important one there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

jo06555 wrote: »
    You know whats happening here is , these young guys tennagers mostly are growing up listening to storys of people solving differences with a knife rather than years ago when most would sort out differences with fists ,

All these young guys are the fellas who most likely will be carrying a knife to be cool and show others they better not mess with them , most probably dont intend on using them really until they get drunk or off their faces on drugs and end up in a fight , hey presto they use their weapon and hurt someone or kill then they go to jail rightly.

http://www.wlrfm.ie/tabId/269/itemId/2577/A-17-year-old-male-is-being-questioned-by-gardai-f.aspx

This says this is the 2nd incident of its kind in a week but wlr must not know a man was stabbed in ferry bank on weekend last too so thats 3

On the contrary only cowards carry knifes, fearful of their own shadow!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Bollix to that, for two simple reasons

1- Either people are going out armed with a knife, with the intent of either 'protecting themselves' or 'doing someone', this isn't a spontaneous decision on the spur of the moment, it's a cool calculated decision. Certain elements of society now treat going armed with a knife, the same way we'd think about picking up a coat.

2 - If a row ensues, someone walks off/heads to their house and tools up and comes back to 'finish' the row, again this is not something spontaneous, it's not as if they tripped over the knife or grabbed it from their attacker. It's a decision albeit taken in anger that they go get some weapon/knife.

There is no way to cure number 2, however number 1 can be cured thru a number of differing ways.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Random stop and searches by the guards. Possibly they could use hand held detectors like those used in airports.

Unless the Gardai has cause for a search they can't do random spot checks and right so imho

Fear should never be used a as an excuse to erode people's rights, its a very very slippery slope when you start down it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Yes Boss wrote: »
    On the contrary only cowards carry knifes, fearful of their own shadow!!

Ye your right , they afraid to use their fists these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cabaal wrote: »
    Unless the Gardai has cause for a search they can't do random spot checks and right so imho

Fear should never be used a as an excuse to erode people's rights, its a very very slippery slope when you start down it

Drug Squad regularly stop and search people already.

Maybe the answer lies in the punishment of crimes when a knife is involved.

Just something as simple as doubling all sentances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Build new prisons and reopen spike island, thats what is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

was in London recently - went to a city centre night club and had to walk through a security arch like in the airport - when i asked why - it was to prevent knives in the night club!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

hardybuck wrote: »
    because it's more important to jail people for smoking joints than for stabbing people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Don't know you have been living but they have been doing this for years and not just the DS like another poster say.

As for a solution if these people have no fear of prison maybe hit them where it matters[to them] ,their pockets :rolleyes:[sorry]
    A BIG FAT FINE for carrying a knife with the powers to take their goods and valuables for non-payment which can be enforced after say a month .They may not care about prison but they may think twice when they start losing their cars , ipods , phones etc etc.
    Or ideally both prison and fine.

hardybuck wrote: »

I'm sure they do, but I'm sure they very much have cause for it.,

Its not like the drug squad are going around the streets stopping people, I can honestly say that neither myself or anyone else I know has been stopped and searched for drugs or anything else.

Perhaps its the area the people are in or what they are doing at the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'm saying that if someone is on the street with a knife in their pocket, then they're prepared to use it. Their actions are not spontaneous, they're pre-meditated!

I'm sure they do, but I'm sure they very much have cause for it.,

Its not like the drug squad are going around the streets stopping people, I can honestly say that neither myself or anyone else I know has been stopped and searched for drugs or anything else.

Perhaps its the area the people are in or what they are doing at the time?

If you are walking anywhere just outside nightclub terroritory on a Sat night, and of a certain age chances are it'll happen sometime. My group were all middle class, well dressed and serious sports people and it happened to us twice as we strolled into town. They don't just stop scumbags.

First time I didn't mind-lads doing their job etc. Second time I was fairly pissed off. They could easily bring a metal dectector on their patrols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I was stopped once before by the DS when me and a couple of friends were passing through Cathedral square one evening about 3-4 years ago. I had nothing to hide so I didn't mind them checking because at least I knew they were doing their job.

I have to say if it happened to me I'd be seriously pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Happened to me a few times.1st time I was a little taken back by it but since then I just let them search away.Not like theyre gonna find anything.

• Advertisement

I have to say if it happened to me I'd be seriously pissed off.

You would be a little, you can't help feeling picked on for your age, and it seems like a very lazy approach to enforcement in comparison to targeting people who are almost certainly carrying\dealing. I mean they are supposed to be dedicated to tackling drugs in a small city so they will know or should know damn well who the culprits are. They aren't fooling anyone in their Opel Corsa with no hubcaps and a million ariels hanging off it-serious deep undercover lads!

However,there must be some merits to it, and if they were to bring a metal detector similar to whats carried in airports they could save a few lives.

Advertisement