Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another stabbing... FFS!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

I've been searched a load of times.

Almost to the point where I could complain against certain gardaí for harrassment. And they still haven't found the bodies! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Knives don't kill people, people kill people. How about teaching ethics from day one in school and being taught about what is required of citizens of Ireland. Some people are clearly not getting that guidance at home.

A normal decent person would not kill regardless of whether they had a knife or gun in front of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Its not the Guards fault people pick up knives either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Triangla wrote: »
    Knives don't kill people, people kill people. How about teaching ethics from day one in school and being taught about what is required of citizens of Ireland. Some people are clearly not getting that guidance at home.

Yeah, I think most people pick up somewhere along the line that you shouldn't stab people. Telling people not to do it on their first day in school wont change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

hardybuck wrote: »
    If you are walking anywhere just outside nightclub terroritory on a Sat night, and of a certain age chances are it'll happen sometime. My group were all middle class, well dressed and serious sports people and it happened to us twice as we strolled into town. They don't just stop scumbags.

First time I didn't mind-lads doing their job etc. Second time I was fairly pissed off. They could easily bring a metal dectector on their patrols.

AFAIK, they should not have stopped and searched you if you are going about your business in a lawful and peaceful manner.

They can only stop you if they witness you commit a crime, are about to commit a crime or are on/near a crime scene.

This is educational and not legal advice. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    AFAIK, they should not have stopped and searched you if you are going about your business in a lawful and peaceful manner.

They can only stop you if they witness you commit a crime, are about to commit a crime or are on/near a crime scene.

This is educational and not legal advice. ;)
    Under the Public Order Act, they can do pretty much whatever they want.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/criminal-law/criminal-offences/public-order-offenses-in-ireland - they take whatever they feel like from that list and blab off POA, and next thing you know they've got their hands all over ya.

Ladies, please.

KingLoser wrote: »
    Under the Public Order Act, they can do pretty much whatever they want.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/justice/criminal-law/criminal-offences/public-order-offenses-in-ireland - they take whatever they feel like from that list and blab off POA, and next thing you know they've got their hands all over ya.

Ladies, please.

So if you're walking down your street and you are committing none of these offences what reason could a garda give you on why he is stopping you?

Intoxication (being drunk) in a public place
    Threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in a public place
    Distribution or display in a public place of material which is threatening, abusive, insulting or obscene
    Failure to comply with the direction of a member of An Garda Siochana
    Wilful obstruction
    Entering a building, etc, with intent to commit an offence
    Trespass on a building, etc.
    Riot
    Violent disorder
    Affray
    Blackmail, extortion and demanding money with menaces
    Assault with intent to cause bodily harm or commit an indictable offence
    Assault or obstruction of a peace officer
    Attacks on emergency service personnel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

They can always just say acting suspiciously which is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

ziedth wrote: »

Thats exactly what they do,
    Hasn't happened me in years, thank god but when i was in my late teens they often pulled me up and searched me for no apparent reason

Yeah, I agree and if you do end up in court, they'll tell the judge that you had appeared nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Yeah, I agree and if you do end up in court, they'll tell the judge that you had appeared nervous.
    does this mean they lie under oath like a common criminal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

does this mean they lie under oath like a common criminal

Absolutely and dont ever try convince me that Guards dont bend the rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

I have to say if it happened to me I'd be seriously pissed off.

why???.......would you prefer that they did'nt check people for knives..... they probably dont know who you are so its not like they are harrassing you , its just random checks.......id be happy to let them check me , as a poster stated above , at least we know they are there doing their jobs and trying to protect us normal everyday people that are not involved in drugs/guns/knives etc.

daftdave wrote: »
    why???.......would you prefer that they did'nt check people for knives..... they probably dont know who you are so its not like they are harrassing you , its just random checks.......id be happy to let them check me , as a poster stated above , at least we know they are there doing their jobs and trying to protect us normal everyday people that are not involved in drugs/guns/knives etc.

Bull****, it does piss you off,
    Happened to me one Saturday at 6pm while i was walkin home from work dressed in pants and shirt, not exactly dodgy lookin.
    They then wanted to know why i had €350 on me, it was my wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I got searched one evening at about 7-8pm. Was doing nothing dodgy and didn't look like I was up to anything. They searched me and a friend just outside the church near Xtravision. Really went through my pockets and coat etc. Gave no reason why and were pretty pissed they didn't find anything. Is that allowed?

deisedevil wrote: »
    I got searched one evening at about 7-8pm. Was doing nothing dodgy and didn't look like I was up to anything. They searched me and a friend just outside the church near Xtravision. Really went through my pockets and coat etc. Gave no reason why and were pretty pissed they didn't find anything. Is that allowed?

No, it's not. Were they in uniform or plain clotes? If they were in plain clothes they should have showed you id. They should have also stated why they stopped you and under what act they were searching you under.

No, it's not. Were they in uniform or plain clotes? If they were in plain clothes they should have showed you id. They should have also stated why they stopped you and under what act they were searching you under.

They were plain clothes, unmarked car. Showed ID. I asked why they were wanting to search and they just said because we can. They asked where we were going and what we were doing, went through our pockets and studied everything in detail and then told us to head off. Thought it was surely not allowed just to search without giving any kind of reason, muppets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'd be worried that they would already have 'evidence' in their hands as they do their search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ I doubt things like that happen in reality at least not very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

deisedevil wrote: »

In fairness you do look a bit sketchy at the best of times :p

• Advertisement

In fairness you do look a bit sketchy at the best of times :p

Lol. Get lost! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Maybe not, but I'd be sceptical. All it takes is one bad egg chasing a promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Has happened. In high profile circumstances. Very worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Gardai are allowed to stop you and inform you they want to search your person under the Misuse of Drugs Act (MDA) You can then request that the search be carried out in the garda station this cannot be refused by Gardai,once you are brought to the station you must be logged in and a reason must be given to the officer in charge ie MDA search,any search on the street is not regestered and can/will be denied ever happened if result's are negtive,dont be a fool get regestered.The Drug squad and the traffic corp are viewed in the same light by gardai fast track to promotion,there is no hard work involved and these unit's are stepping stones to a bigger pay check which accounts for the high number of rouge gardai that pass throught them walking all over the people of ireland on their path to the top.Lynchwood

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

burkey85 wrote: »
    Bull****, it does piss you off,
    Happened to me one Saturday at 6pm while i was walkin home from work dressed in pants and shirt, not exactly dodgy lookin.
    They then wanted to know why i had €350 on me, it was my wages.

how do you know if it would piss me off or not ???? !

ye must just have one of those dodgy heads that they search for no reason at all :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yes Boss wrote: »
    On the contrary only cowards carry knifes, fearful of their own shadow!!

They are fearful of the night. The power of the sword brings them light at the end of the tunnel. That light is merely a new kind of darkness. The darkness of pain.

daftdave wrote: »
    how do you know if it would piss me off or not ???? !

ye must just have one of those dodgy heads that they search for no reason at all :p

:D Cause i dont honestly believe you wouldnt get pissed off if you were searched for no reason while walkin home from work.

And, i like to believe i don't anyway;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

robtri wrote: »
    probably not most these murders/stabbings are happening at houses or housing estates... not in pubs...

i have an idea. we could just live in the pubs:D then we'll be safe

Advertisement