Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously bored with SGU

Options
  • 30-06-2010 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is SGU tediously boring. I've found that I really have to make the effort to sit down and watch it.

I just watched 14 last night and I'm not finding this a patch on SG1. Is it worth watching the remaining of the series ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I suppose there was a bit of a mid-season slump in the 2nd half of season 2, but i never thought it was so bad that i might stop watching it. In fact, even the poorer episodes were enjoyable. The end of the season is very good, so i'd say stick with it.

Not much else to watch these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I think the second half of the series is much better than the first. after the mid-season break, it really picked up. stick with it though,as Kiith said, not much else on during the summer. :rolleyes:

afraid i'm of the opposite opinion of you, i'm watching SG1 now, and finding it very episodic, and not as exciting as Universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Anyone that really compares SG1 to SGU dosent get what SGU is trying to be. Its not trying to be a SG1. It's its own show, ther is some simmliar features with both SGU and SG1 like the big ring that brings you to worlds, and some charectors. But other then that, SGU I think is trying to get a diffren viewer base(or overlapping viewer base) as SG1, but also get the veiwers of SG1 into the new type of show SGU is wanting to be.

Of course some people from SG1 likes to sit down and turn off their brains, and i find that SGU really dosent do this, it has great charecter development and arcs, with the overall story line behind it. Just take the parrelle time line epiosde. Fantastic for charector development with the viewer base, no reall storyline towards it in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Just finished 6 weeks of watching all of SG-1 again and cannot bring myself to go back to SG-U as it just does not compare.

It is and amazing borefest, indeed.

People saying you should not compare SG-1 with SG-U always seem to forget that the latter was only made possible because of the large fanbase the first show had. A lot of these people now feel cheated and have every right to compare both and say SG-U is not as good.

For me Stargate is now dead and I will not continue watching it, which makes me quite sad as it used to be so good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

bigar wrote: »
    A lot of these people now feel cheated and have every right to compare both and say SG-U is not as good.

I'm a massive fan of the SG-1 that started the whole thing off, but I definately don't feel cheated by the new direction of SGU. The later seasons of SG-1 lacked the charm of the earlier seasons, and just weren't fun, or funny.

Battlegate Voyager (SGU) is a refreshing change. It's a very different show, but it's still a brilliant series, and in my opinion the best thing the Stargate team has done in years, especially for a first season. I wasn't sure about it after the first few episodes, and after the mid season slump I was considering giving up on it, but it's really picked up and all the characters are coming into their own (except Chloe, but thats another discussion entirely :)). Also the episodes are no longer neat little bundles, there's actually an over arcing story, where each episode effects the ones that follow, which hasn't really been done for years in Stargate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

If I had been a big fan of SG1(I wasn't, but more on that later) I too would have found SGU to be too jarring a change of pace but having just lost BSG I found this right up my alley, those slow paced early eps that everyone complains about were some of my favourites .

Guess some people aren't happy unless there is a high ranking military officer cracking inappropriate jokes during every single first contact situations with powerful aliens (thus risking making enemies at every turn) :p.

As you may have guessed I'm more a fan of the sgu's Colonel Young and Kurt Russels O Neill brand of leadership, but to each there own I suppose .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Metalfan

bigar wrote: »
    Just finished 6 weeks of watching all of SG-1 again and cannot bring myself to go back to SG-U as it just does not compare.

It is and amazing borefest, indeed.

People saying you should not compare SG-1 with SG-U always seem to forget that the latter was only made possible because of the large fanbase the first show had. A lot of these people now feel cheated and have every right to compare both and say SG-U is not as good.

For me Stargate is now dead and I will not continue watching it, which makes me quite sad as it used to be so good. :(

SG1 is so much better than SGU its not even funny I can't watch that SGU crap anymore either

I personally can't wait for season 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Metalfan wrote: »
    SG1 is so much better than SGU its not even funny I can't watch that SGU crap anymore either
    but SGU isn't trying to be funny. it's taken a much darker route than SG1/SGA.
    I personally can't wait for season 2.
    neither can i. just 4 weeks to go :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I personally like the darker and gritter approach they took when making this, I think it connects better with human emotions and how it behaves in a survival situation. A big change from SGA, which was to me just pure fantasy and could not be bothered following.
    Long may it continue, can't wait for season 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Trekmad wrote: »
    I personally like the darker and gritter approach they took when making this, I think it connects better with human emotions and how it behaves in a survival situation. A big change from SGA, which was to me just pure fantasy and could not be bothered following.
    Long may it continue, can't wait for season 2.

I agree i love the new approach SGU has taken. Its dark and gritty and the characters are surprisingly interesting. I Loved SG1 and SGA but they are so different in style and setting they shouldn't be compared.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

As you may have guessed I'm more a fan of the sgu's Colonel Young and Kurt Russels O Neill brand of leadership, but to each there own I suppose .

Kurt Russel was O'Neil, not O'Neill :P

I thoroughly enjoy SGU. I don't what the point of making another SG1-esque series would have been and quite honestly I grew tired of SG1 towards the end of it's run. It just became ridiculous and impossible to take seriously, it was like a caricature of it's early self.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I watch it and I really enjoy it, but I just can't shake the whole BSG rip off thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Two things that really wreck my head in the current series.

1. Musical montages... boring.
    2. Visions/Holograms, whatever as plot devices to talk to characters for example:
    Rush talking to his wife in the latest episode
    It just feels like lazy story telling to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

It's GateStar GalactiTrek. I think it's pretty good considering there's f- all else to watch right now. Trying to get my grubby hands on some Andromeda at the moment as I heard that's supposed to be good. They blow up a black hole in the second episode and manage to make it sound sciencey :eek:

hare05 wrote: »
    It's GateStar GalactiTrek. I think it's pretty good considering there's f- all else to watch right now. Trying to get my grubby hands on some Andromeda at the moment as I heard that's supposed to be good. They blow up a black hole in the second episode and manage to make it sound sciencey :eek:

Andromeda? :eek: Save yourself the ordeal, and get Babylon 5 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Ordeal!!!!!???????? :eek::eek::eek:....

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

hightower1 wrote: »
    Ordeal!!!!!???????? :eek::eek::eek:....

Yeah Andromeda descends quite quickly into the murky depths of complete crap very quickly. The first season or so is grand enough but the further in you watch the sillier it gets. As mentioned above go for Babylon 5, a fantastic show if ever there was one.
    Memnoch wrote: »
    Two things that really wreck my head in the current series.

1. Musical montages... boring.
    2. Visions/Holograms, whatever as plot devices to talk to characters for example:
    Rush talking to his wife in the latest episode
    It just feels like lazy story telling to me.

I wouldn't mind the musical montages so much if they used the ambient music played throughout the rest of the show but their insistence on using songs takes away from the feel of the show. What really annoys me are the visits to earth which we have thankfully thus far been spared but looks like Eli has some angst filled scenes with his mother this week, joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Yeah Andromeda descends quite quickly into the murky depths of complete crap very quickly. The first season or so is grand enough but the further in you watch the sillier it gets. As mentioned above go for Babylon 5, a fantastic show if ever there was one.

I wouldn't mind the musical montages so much if they used the ambient music played throughout the rest of the show but their insistence on using songs takes away from the feel of the show. What really annoys me are the visits to earth which we have thankfully thus far been spared but looks like Eli has some angst filled scenes with his mother this week, joy :(

Exactly, its the slow cowboy/western style rock-ish music that really breaks any sort of immersion and spoils the enjoyment of the program.

I recently started watching SG1 again from the very beginning as I hadn't watched all the episodes before of the earlier seasons. And it reminded me of exactly what it is that SGU is really missing.

MAGIC. That sense of awe and wonder you get from watching true science fiction as opposed to the cowboys in space theme that seems to have taken over of late.

I'm talking about episodes like S2 E6 - Thor's chariot. Even knowing what I do about what happens with the Asgard and Earth etc later on in the show, there was still this sense of wonder and wow, that is just so frikking cool, a feeling I rarely get with most modern sci-fi (though there was a fair amount of it in BSG).

Star trek had it (except in that enterprise crap), SG1 had it even SG-A had moments of it as did Firefly and OFC Babylon 5.

It's one thing replicating the style of BSG, but without the magic, it feels dull by comparison though this season seems to be promisingish.

Also I strongly endorse the Babylon 5 reccomendation though I would say, watch "In the beginning TV movie," then jump straight to Season 2. S1 is a bit slow and dated and can be enjoyed better once you've gotten into the series a bit, especially by modern standards. But S2-S4 are pure win and easily the best sci-fi I've ever seen on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

You could always watch SG-1 repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Memnoch wrote: »
    Also I strongly endorse the Babylon 5 reccomendation though I would say, watch "In the beginning TV movie," then jump straight to Season 2. S1 is a bit slow and dated and can be enjoyed better once you've gotten into the series a bit, especially by modern standards. But S2-S4 are pure win and easily the best sci-fi I've ever seen on TV.

NO!

If one were to watch "In the Beginning" first then a lot of stuff down the line would be spoiled. Watch "The Gathering" first, which is really the pilot episode, and then move on to season 1. If I remember correctly "In The Beginning" is best watched after Season 4.

Storyline is ultra important with Babylon 5 and to watch it out of sequence would be a travesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

Not bored per say, but a little fed up .
    This weeks show was a little light on plot and heavy on the Eli weepy stuff.

I do like the Rush in the command seat scenes, talk to his "dead" wife( who i believe is really the ship trying to get him to stop been such a selfish brat and get the rest of the crew involved)

Anyhoo, I'm enjoying it, but this week did push it a little with the Earth visits.

Robbie

Advertisement