Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who movie with Johnny Depp for 2012

• 30-06-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭

It sounds like a ridiculous internet rumor. But Tor.Com claims to have confirmed the casting, and a release date of 2012, with "movie studio sources." (They don't say which studio.) And Russell T. Davies may be the writer. The original source of this rumor is a site called PubArticles, that Tor.Com describes as an "article mill." The PubArticles post has actually been taken down, so it's impossible to evaluate whether there's any truth to it whatsoever. But Tor.Com quotes from the now-deleted PubArticles post.
    Russell T. Davies is quoted as saying, "There will be brand new concepts and the film will be just as adventurous, scary and humorous as the television programme. But none of us working the film will forget what makes the character great and interesting and the long-time fans will not be disappointed because yes, the Daleks make an appearance." And the article adds that the Doctor travels throughout history curing illnesses that have been caused by aliens, including the Bubonic Plague. More details at the link.
    The unnamed movie studio sources who were able to confirm to Tor.Com that Johnny Depp will be playing the Doctor in 2012 were unable to confirm any of these story elements, so let's hope that part is pure fabrication. Even with the anonymous confirmation, I'd still take even the Depp casting and release date with a major grain of salt, too.

http://io9.com/5575898/johnny-depp-playing-the-doctor-in-a-big+screen-doctor-who-movie

So relax, its almost certainly bollix. But what would people around here fear worse- The brain crushingly obvious casting of Depp, or the fact it would be written by RTD?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just no. On both counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭.SONIC.

i dont mind rtd, but johnny depp?? . . . :(

Could be worse. Could be directed by Tim Burton and have Helene Bonham Carter as the assistant...

EURGH!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Most important: will it be IN MIND-BLOWING 3-D!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

lol!

Wont believe til I hear it from the BBC etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Don't io9 publish bull**** stories quite regularly?

I could be wrong.. but I remember someone saying they're "The Daily Mail" of the entertainment websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

basquille wrote: »

I could be wrong.. but I remember someone saying they're "The Daily Mail" of the entertainment websites.
    They make the Daily Mail look like a reputable and reliable source of information

If this turns out to be true I'll eat my fez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

More then likely a load of horse **** i'd say. They would have to link the film to the tv series imo.

Johnny Depp as the Doctor would just be Captain Jack with a british accent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Haha, the show's only off the air for 1 week and already the bullsh*t rumours crop up out of nowhere. And ooh surprise, it has already been shot down:

http://io9.com/5577555/the-bbc-says-theres-no-doctor-who-movie-in-the-works-not-even-with-johnny-depp

Next week, I predict a rumour starting the Matt Smith's leaving soon and that "a source" reports <insert actor / actress here> is taking over the role.

Lovin that gif in the comments section:

340x.gif

Sums it up for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Heh heh...

I'm reading this thread with iTunes playing in the background. Beat It by Michael Jackson just came on, and it matches perfectly with that gif, it's like he's listening to the same song I am! :)

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 shinto29

basquille wrote: »

I only like gawker for Kotaku and Gizmodo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

I heard some ideas that it's actually Dr. Strange they're talking about with regards to Johnny Depp and the rest is just nonsense to try and validate the story. Because if this is true... just... no... Even if it was a blockbuster and Roger Ebert himself jizzed over it, it wouldn't be Doctor Who. The Americans just wouldn't be able to do it or get it right...

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

yes, the Daleks make an appearance

... and lost interest. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

JOHNNY DEPP!??:eek:

Well as long as Tim Burton doesn't get involved I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

I would imagine that RTD is quite happy with the ITC-esque reimagining of Torchwood :D.

Those of a sadder existence (like me) will remember all the fun we had when "The Movie" was budding. Speilberg!! Nimoy!! Those were the days, I tell thee!!

And there was no internet in them black and white times either!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭EverybodyLies

Eh. No....just no. Please. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement