Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need help

• 30-06-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

ive to bring my cousin to buy a car today. she has her heart set on this one

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1361862

im not gonna be able to persuade her out of it, so what shud i look for, like wats a common fault on these.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Moved to main motors as you'll get a quicker response here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bring someone who is mechanically minded to examin the car especially if there are aftermarket modifications (engine modifications) made which looks likely in this case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'd advise her not to offer anything near 2500 imo.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd run a mile tbh. Good chance it's had a hard life.

Insurers won't like it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Make sure she realises modifications will have to be declared to her insurance company.

Check the tax disc to see if it was updated after the custom paint job. Im not sure of the legalities are of not updating the VLC but someone may be able to advise.

A mechanic or someone with experience in civics is a must

And agree with above, dont offer near 2500

Also notice the ad says PRICE DROP, obviously having trouble shifting it. So if you really cant persuade her otherwise, use this to your advantage. Go in low, be prepared to walk away. There is a hell of a lot of other cars out there that can be had for 2500

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

bazz26 wrote: »
    Bring someone who is mechanically minded to examin the car especially if there are aftermarket modifications (engine modifications) made which looks likely in this case.
    id agree with that, but if you cant bring anyone you should check the the allignment of the bonnet and the doors, its usually the easiest way to check if it was crashed.
    Id check the oil aswel and make sure its not a bad oil burner.
    Check underneath it for rust.
    Id make sure the mileage dosn't looked clocked either...do ya know what mileage is on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm trying to have an open mind looking at it, taking in your sisters taste into consideration but I just would not buy that car.

It's a 1.3, that means it's slow and any young fella who had it has dogged the arse out of it to make it go anywhere.

There are 4 million things to check on that car before buying, I'd go with you only for it's too far away.

Don't bring a mechanic, bring someone who knows these cars. I've seen a mechanic look over a friends car he was selling and completely miss loads of tell tale points.

And it's not worth €2,500. It's a car and a style of modification that has gone out of fashion.

Tell her get a quote for insurance first anyway, it being jap and a Honda Civic I can't imagine it's easy insure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Show her this thread before handing over any money too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

a civic bein sold by a guy named pa ..... enough said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I got €2500 for my 98 1.3 Civic three years ago. That car aint worth that much, especially if its just cosmetic mods made to it.

Id definately agree with all who say bring someone who really knows what they are looking for in car like that. Its been lowered; make sure it wasnt done by some plank who just cut the springs. A car like that is likely to have had a rough life. Honestly if you want a car like that then my advise would be to source a bog standard 96-99 model thats been looked after (ie never owned by a young lad) and do the mods yourself. At least that way youll know what has been done to it and also you can modify it to your taste.

Also I might be wrong, but arent 17" alloys on a Civic a bad idea; arent 15"/16" the biggest they should have?

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    I got €2500 for my 98 1.3 Civic three years ago. That car aint worth that much, especially if its just cosmetic mods made to it.

Id definately agree with all who say bring someone who really knows what they are looking for in car like that. Its been lowered; make sure it wasnt done by some plank who just cut the springs. A car like that is likely to have had a rough life. Honestly if you want a car like that then my advise would be to source a bog standard 96-99 model thats been looked after (ie never owned by a young lad) and do the mods yourself. At least that way youll know what has been done to it and also you can modify it to your taste.

Also I might be wrong, but arent 17" alloys on a Civic a bad idea; arent 15"/16" the biggest they should have?
    ya, i bought a corolla with 17"alloys and low profile tyres, the wheels are too big for them cars and send the tracking off all the time. If there low-profile tyres, you will be getting punctures non-stop!...I found out the hard way:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

2500 for a 1996 1.3L Honda Civic ....

May as well go nuts and buy this Yolk

*joke*

did ye go to look at this civic yet??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

"alot of taught and care went into car. very reliable nct untill end of march 2011. taxed untill end of june"

Chav needs a smack of a spelling stick!!!

Advertisement